Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
hyderd

Tai Massive Project

Its interesting that Tai Woffinden quit Team GB's 2017 World Cup Team as early as July 2016 siting differences with the BSPA through a twitter rant. Now the World games is on the horizon, a national team event staged on Woffindens home track in Wroclaw Poland which he quite fancies riding in ,Cue his stance towards Team GB softens a little, not ruling out a return in 2018. He gives it away by saying " I didn't know about the World Games when I made my decision to sit out the World Cup this year. Woffinden is playing a clever game with the BSPA, let me ride in the World games with the false hope I will ride for you the World Cup again. I doubt he will ever ride in the World Cup again and the differences he has with the BSPA will conveniently resurface again. Woffinden says he was always planning to take THE world cup week off to spend a week with his pregnant wife, although he quit Team GB a full 12 months earlier 9 months before his wife was pregnant. Feel sorry for the guys on here who hang on, endorse,believe every word he says ( Gavan, Stevebrum, GiveusaB.etc ) he might be trying to hoodwink the BSPA but he had you at " hello "

Great post ...he said ages ago that he not riding in the World Cup but now he's missing it because he has to have time off with his wife . I expect he wants GB to get crushed this year without him so it makes the BSPA look like the bad guys and rosco has to quit and we can all beg for woffy back .

• Like 1

Just a couple of quotes

From Twitter "Good luck to Team GB in the future ! A lot of you will not understand but true fans will, I aint being mugged off anymore "

From Express and Star " But the respect WOFFINDEN has for the Wolves promotion is not mirrored with Great Britain ,a set up he labelled unprofessional in a lengthy and foul mouthed tweet. He's decided not to race in the World Cup this year and wont return to his national team until things change.

Doesn't sound like the words of someone who is simply " taking a year out " does it

Sorry Bwitcher for leaving you off the list as someone who believes every word that Woffinden says !

So you try to disprove me then quote.. "He's decided not to race in the World Cup THIS year".

What happens after that remains to be seen.

Unfortunately Orion, you are the one showing yourself up. I don't believe everything Woffinden says, far from it. I simply am not jumping to conclusions one way or the other. We don't know the full story of what has gone on between Woffinden and the BSPA, only what each side has said and second hand accounts.

As such, I simply view it as a very unfortunate situation whereby GB are missing out on his talents and hope it will be resolved for 2018.

That was posted on 16 Aug 2016. The World Games are being held from 20th to 30th July - eleven months after that interview. Does Woffinden have a different version of a year to every one else?

And in case you are in any doubt of his intentions then I'll quote from the interview that you posted the link to.

Now tell me he isn't just looking after no 1 by wanting to ride in the World Games because it'a a money spinner for him being on his home track. It has stuff all to do with him wanting to ride for Great Britiain.

Poor attempt at another attack.

The year out he was referring too was 2017 and specifically the World Cup. GB had no other events scheduled.

Of course he is looking out for No 1, you seem to think this is something unusual or unreasonable. Woffinden didn't chase a spot in the World games, lest you forget, the BSPA approached him and then decided not to select him. All the rest is once again both sides of the argument trying to apply their own spin and letting their biases seep through.

Again, we don't know the full story of what has gone on between the two so none of us are in position to make judgements.

What we do know is the history of the BSPA for having such problems with their top riders... whether that is the case this time, maybe, maybe not.

It's amazing how many people feel the need to make their minds up definitively without knowing anywhere near the full facts.

• Like 1

So you try to disprove me then quote.. "He's decided not to race in the World Cup THIS year".

What happens after that remains to be seen.

Unfortunately Orion, you are the one showing yourself up. I don't believe everything Woffinden says, far from it. I simply am not jumping to conclusions one way or the other. We don't know the full story of what has gone on between Woffinden and the BSPA, only what each side has said and second hand accounts.

As such, I simply view it as a very unfortunate situation whereby GB are missing out on his talents and hope it will be resolved for 2018.

Poor attempt at another attack.

The year out he was referring too was 2017 and specifically the World Cup. GB had no other events scheduled.

Of course he is looking out for No 1, you seem to think this is something unusual or unreasonable. Woffinden didn't chase a spot in the World games, lest you forget, the BSPA approached him and then decided not to select him. All the rest is once again both sides of the argument trying to apply their own spin and letting their biases seep through.

Again, we don't know the full story of what has gone on between the two so none of us are in position to make judgements.

What we do know is the history of the BSPA for having such problems with their top riders... whether that is the case this time, maybe, maybe not.

Not an attack at all, just an opinion based on a link you provided.

No we don't know the full story. We only have Woofindens version of events via media outlets and to be frank it us full of anger and not that consistent. I'm no apologist for the BSPA but whatever the truth, they have at least resisted slagging people off in public. Yes they asked as to his availability, reasonable given his quotes above, he tried to impose conditions on his selection, they declined. Those are the facts according to him. From those I'm on the side of the BSPA. Riders should ride, if they want to run the show they should pay up and buy into a promotion.

• Like 4

It's amazing how many people feel the need to make their minds up definitively without knowing anywhere near the full facts.

Spot on!

Not an attack at all, just an opinion based on a link you provided.

No we don't know the full story. We only have Woofindens version of events via media outlets and to be frank it us full of anger and not that consistent. I'm no apologist for the BSPA but whatever the truth, they have at least resisted slagging people off in public. Yes they asked as to his availability, reasonable given his quotes above, he tried to impose conditions on his selection, they declined. Those are the facts according to him. From those I'm on the side of the BSPA. Riders should ride, if they want to run the show they should pay up and buy into a promotion.

An opinion that you had to twist what was actually said to suit what you want your opinion to be.

You and others have also twisted to suit that you believe there were conditions 'imposed' by Woffinden with regards to his selection when there is no evidence to that. All we know is Woffinden ASKED for input into who his partner would be. ASKED is completely different to imposing. Seems quite a fair request too and something that takes place in many, many sports. Completely ignored as well is Woffinden's offer to help arrange practice for the riders pre-meeting and well, basically take a professional approach to the meeting in order to try and be successful... maybe that is what upset the BSPA, they'd rather just show up on the day.

Now if Woffinden DID insist on choosing his partner as a condition of him riding that casts another light on the situation, we don't know that though.

Edited by BWitcher

No way should the bspa towtow to Woffindens whims. Give the places to Cook and Lambert.

• Like 4

:rofl::rofl::rofl::t:

Where was he born? That makes him British. FACT.

I agree with you but it's not always that simple.

Jason Crump. Born in Bristol. Australian.

Mark Loram. Born in Malta. British.

A non-speedway example:

Cliff Richard. Born in Bombay. British.

Spot on!

An opinion that you had to twist what was actually said to suit what you want your opinion to be.

You and others have also twisted to suit that you believe there were conditions 'imposed' by Woffinden with regards to his selection when there is no evidence to that. All we know is Woffinden ASKED for input into who his partner would be. ASKED is completely different to imposing. Seems quite a fair request too and something that takes place in many, many sports. Completely ignored as well is Woffinden's offer to help arrange practice for the riders pre-meeting and well, basically take a professional approach to the meeting in order to try and be successful... maybe that is what upset the BSPA, they'd rather just show up on the day.

Now if Woffinden DID insist on choosing his partner as a condition of him riding that casts another light on the situation, we don't know that though.

Most of stuff you is just based is what woffy has said ...bar him saying that what has you got to back that up ?

Guest GiveusaB

A non-speedway example:

Quite right...my granddaughter was born in Germany, but her parents are both British, so she's British imo!

It doesnt matter what country Tai was born in, or grew up in....both his parents are British, therefore, Tai Woffinden is most definitely British !

Most of stuff you is just based is what woffy has said ...bar him saying that what has you got to back that up ?

I have clearly stated that none of us know the true story so jumping to conclusions one way or another is simply foolhardy.

• Like 1

Quite right...my granddaughter was born in Germany, but her parents are both British, so she's British imo!

It doesnt matter what country Tai was born in, or grew up in....both his parents are British, therefore, Tai Woffinden is most definitely British !

A non-speedway example:

All the talk of Woffy being British is such nonsense. He is 100% British. He was born here. His parents are British. There's no dispute.

You can test for British citizen here: https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen It's quite fun.

Jason Crump, for example, is a British citizen but only because he was born before 1 January 1983. After that date, he wouldn't be a British citizen if born in the UK to Australian parents.

A child born to British parents in Germany is British by descent. Being British by descent, however, means she will not pass British citizenship down to her children unless they are born in the UK.

It's quite a complicated web to go through to see if you are British - but not in Tai Woffinden's case.

• Like 1

No way should the bspa towtow to Woffindens whims. Give the places to Cook and Lambert.

What whims are they?

There is no evidence he made any demands at all, that is just certain folk jumping to conclusions.

He may have done, he may not. He may have asked for input which is perfectly reasonable, that may have been taken the wrong way by the BSPA. He may have demanded to choose his partner or he wouldn't ride, that would be unreasonable.

The BSPA may have had further discussions and decided after approaching him to see if he was available that he shouldn't be selected due to opting not to ride in the World Cup. There are many possible reasons.. WE don't know.

Edited by BWitcher

All the talk of Woffy being British is such nonsense. He is 100% British. He was born here. His parents are British. There's no dispute.

You can test for British citizen here: https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen It's quite fun.

Jason Crump, for example, is a British citizen but only because he was born before 1 January 1983. After that date, he wouldn't be a British citizen if born in the UK to Australian parents.

A child born to British parents in Germany is British by descent. Being British by descent, however, means she will not pass British citizenship down to her children unless they are born in the UK.

It's quite a complicated web to go through to see if you are British - but not in Tai Woffinden's case.

100% spot on.

But if feel you shouldnt have posted this.

It will make the heads explode of those with a lack of intellect.

I can just see Orion and Shovlar in the corner of the room mumbling over and over 'he isnt british, he isnt british'. If they say it enough they start to believe it

Edited by Gavan

An interesting snippet from the article BWitcher draws our attention to:-

The 26-year-old has blamed behind-the-scenes issues for his decision, but says he remains committed to Britain and is not looking to switch his allegiance to Australia. Scunthorpe-born Woffinden was raised in Australia and has dual-nationality so could alternatively race for the Roos.

• Like 1

100% spot on.

But if feel you shouldnt have posted this.

It will make the heads explode of those with a lack of intellect.

I can just see Orion and Shovlar in the corner of the room mumbling over and over 'he isnt british, he isnt british'. If they say it enough they start to believe it

When did I say he's not British ? with your intellect I am sure you will able to find it

• Like 1