British Speedway Forum
IAN2

Hull City Of Culture 2017

If Hull is the City of Culture in 2017 and attracting large investment into the area where is the Speedway and is anybody interested in bringing it back, seems like it is now or never for the Vikings.

What has Speedway to do with culture?

Nowt really.

But Hull - like Sunderland live in hope.

• Like 1

Have the wounds healed at Craven Park?

Hull would not be what it is now,if speedway was never there ;)

The average speedway fan wouldn't know culture if it hit them i the face. Over and over. Very hard.

The average speedway fan wouldn't know culture if it hit them i the face. Over and over. Very hard.

I think you underestimate some of us SCB. :)

What has Hull got to do with culture? Are there any qualifications to be a city of culture?

What has Hull got to do with culture? Are there any qualifications to be a city of culture?

Good point.

Adding my 2p worth I invite people to check out this site and make of it what they will (bet link don't work):

https://www.hull2017.co.uk/

So far there has been - drum roll: a much ballyhoo'ed 'sea of skin' where one freezing cold morning loads of people volunteered to strip naked, be painted blue then lie down alltogther to have their photos taken and displyed in a local gallery, some big projections of Hull-related stuff onto the front of Hull City Hall (whence I'm told the traffic chaos and queues had to be seen to be believed), a blade - just a blade - of a wind turbine on display in Hull City Centre. Er, pretty much that has been it, my knowledge of planned events being pretty much zip, almost perfectly matching my interest.

No mention of speedway of course, despite Hull Angels operating out of Hedon in 1948-49 with a unique stopping-off railway platform (Hedon Halt) constructed just for speedway and the Vikings easily being the most successful professional sporting team in the city. None of the local stadia, KCOM Stadium (Hull City FC & Hull FC), or Craven Park (Hull KR) can physically accomodate speedway, a stand was built on what were turns 3 & 4 at Craven Park. The Boulevard was demolished afew years ago. The only suitable place would be Costello Stadium which hosts athletics, complete with 400m track, but is too close to housing, and located in a huge NIMBY area. Efforts continue to build a waste disposal plant on the former site at Hedon, adjacent to another NIMBY area.

Going off subject slightly, I'm told that the William Wilberforce Museum has had all mentions and displays of slavery removed, lest it offend anyone. Not a pleasant subject at all but: it happened, it's history and the information should be made available for future generations to ensure nothing like that ever happens again. And it just so happens that Wilberforce actually contributed a great deal to the abolishment of slavery....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 2

Good point.

Adding my 2p worth I invite people to check out this site and make of it what they will (bet link don't work):

https://www.hull2017.co.uk/

So far there has been - drum roll: a much ballyhoo'ed 'sea of skin' where one freezing cold morning loads of people volunteered to strip naked, be painted blue then lie down alltogther to have their photos taken and displyed in a local gallery, some big projections of Hull-related stuff onto the front of Hull City Hall (whence I'm told the traffic chaos and queues had to be seen to be believed), a blade - just a blade - of a wind turbine on display in Hull City Centre. Er, pretty much that has been it, my knowledge of planned events being pretty much zip, almost perfectly matching my interest.

No mention of speedway of course, despite Hull Angels operating out of Hedon in 1948-49 with a unique stopping-off railway platform (Hedon Halt) constructed just for speedway and the Vikings easily being the most successful professional sporting team in the city. None of the local stadia, KCOM Stadium (Hull City FC & Hull FC), or Craven Park (Hull KR) can physically accomodate speedway, a stand was built on what were turns 3 & 4 at Craven Park. The Boulevard was demolished afew years ago. The only suitable place would be Costello Stadium which hosts athletics, complete with 400m track, but is too close to housing, and located in a huge NIMBY area. Efforts continue to build a waste disposal plant on the former site at Hedon, adjacent to another NIMBY area.

Going off subject slightly, I'm told that the William Wilberforce Museum has had all mentions and displays of slavery removed, lest it offend anyone. Not a pleasant subject at all but: it happened, it's history and the information should be made available for future generations to ensure nothing like that ever happens again. And it just so happens that Wilberforce actually contributed a great deal to the abolishment of slavery....

Very well said Martin - particularly about William Wilberforce.

Surely that deserves to be celebrated and not shoved in a corner as if it never happened.

It's a bit like us here in Sunderland bidding to be City of Culture in 2021.

They (the Council) have just closed some more of our Public Libraries down and moved our main Library in to a couple of rooms in the Sunderland Museum (Foundation Stone laid by U.S. President/General Ulysses S. Grant).

Libraries are not just Cultural - they are Educational too.

Sunderland - City of Culture - my a*se. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I guess it does have some use. I actually googled to see what cultural sites there were in Hull and what there was to do there. Normally, I wouldn't have given Hull a second thought. You would think, however, that it would be tied in to the Government offering incentives to locate businesses there that could improve the local economy.

Edited by AlanF

Hull has some very good museums...The Deep amongst them...and is well worth a visit!

• Like 1

The UK City of Culture concept seems to be one cherished by nobody other than city councillors.

Stroke City was the first four years ago - and whilst there were some nice events such as the All-Ireland Fleadh which drew big crowds, I think the citizens were far less enthusiastic about the results and legacy then the organisers.

Why are there TWO Threads running on this subject? Could I suggest that the Threads be merged by the Mods please?