British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Iwade/sittingbourne Crusaders

good memories of Iwade in the seventies, run by Barry and Ivor Thomas, plus a guy i believe called Eddie (can anyone confirm). Quick riders in 1973 were Pip Austen, Mike Bessent and Alan Diprose. Does anyone remember any other riders at that time?

There was an annual Eddie James Trophy raced for in the 70s. I don't know who Eddie James was but maybe he is the Eddie you mention, MLB.

Eddie james was involved with iwade and Wimbledon juniors back in the 1970's and 80's. Eddie was a nice bloke who always found time for a chat.

• Like 1

There was an annual Eddie James Trophy raced for in the 70s. I don't know who Eddie James was but maybe he is the Eddie you mention, MLB.

I remember Eddie James, but it wasn't him. This guy did just about everything, start marshall, timekeeper, track grader and ran the place with the Thomas brothers.

There was a guy called Lionel who did timekeeping in the 70s - quite an old chap

Yes - I should have remembered his full name. I used to travel up with one of the trainees - and we used to pick up Lionel on the route. The strange thing is I cant recall him talking about his riding days!

Remember Eddie James being involved at Wimbledon.Wonder if it was the same Eddie James who won the world suprstox championship at Plough Lane twice in the 1960s?

Yes - I should have remembered his full name. I used to travel up with one of the trainees - and we used to pick up Lionel on the route. The strange thing is I cant recall him talking about his riding days!

i worked with lionel in the refs box at Wimbledon in the early 1980's. He was always talking about crystal palace speedway!

i worked with lionel in the refs box at Wimbledon in the early 1980's. He was always talking about crystal palace speedway!

I dont always trust my memory - but I seem to recall not even knowing he had been on a bike!

Just happened to come across Eddie James in list of riders practicing after the meeting at Wimbledon on 1 April 1971 after the match with Wolverhampton.

There was a guy called Lionel who did timekeeping in the 70s - quite an old chap

I am certain the person you refer to spinkox was the much-respected the late Lionel Crossley.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/lionel-crossley-profile.html

I dont always trust my memory - but I seem to recall not even knowing he had been on a bike!

​I was told by the late Ron Hoare (a speedway historian of renown0 that Lionel Crossley was a rider at Crystal Palace in the late 1920s, although more likely in open meetings rather than as a member of the team. Here is an interesting link that makes reference to him:

http://www.crystalpalacefoundation.org.uk/shop/motor-sport/crystal-palace-speedway