British Speedway Forum
SCB

The Future Bright...

you are correct of course but won't the 'asset' question come up? X, Y or Z team benefitting from coaching they don't actually provide themselves and conversely will the BSPA or whoever object to the expense of training someone else's asset?

It could be funded by a tax of sorts but you can't see that being popular. It highlights the lack of unity in the sport, which is essentially 30 different businesses loosely associated

We already have the poultec training scheme for young riders when they have assistance and training in fitness, life style, riding, mechanics and media. Some are already attached to a club and that youth system does not cause any problems in terms of assets.

In addition Team GB receives training prior to events such as the World Cup and that doesn't cause any resentment towards individual promotions. At the end the end it is the BSPA that puts this sort of assistance/training into place by voting on it.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

What is the reason for all this youth development when the indications are that year-on-year spectator interest in the sport is declining?

Edited by Guest

What is the reason for all this youth development when the indications are that year-on-year spectator interest in the sport is declining?

I thought crowds were supposed to be up this year? The point is that anyone prepared to have a go deserves a bit of help and it might just mean that more of them reach their true potential. It might also provide a shot in the arm for UK Speedway if we have more riders at the top level.

• Like 2

I thought crowds were supposed to be up this year? The point is that anyone prepared to have a go deserves a bit of help and it might just mean that more of them reach their true potential. It might also provide a shot in the arm for UK Speedway if we have more riders at the top level.

There are indeed indications that attendances have improved at some tracks but probably in hundreds only rather than a much needed upturn in the thousands.

I looked for a speedway mention in one National newspaper today - the sport managed one-and-half lines in small print tucked away in the Classified Results.

It needs far more coverage than that to indicate a revival is on the way - hence my previouscomment about "what is the point of all this youth development."

Recent attendances I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the BSF in other threads have been 250 for Lakeside Hammers v Belle Vue Colts and 350 for last week's meeting at Isle of Wight.

Edited by Guest

There are indeed indications that attendances have improved at some tracks but probably in hundreds only rather than a much needed upturn in the thousands.

I looked for a speedway mention in one National newspaper today - the sport managed one-and-half lines in small print tucked away in the Classified Results.

It needs far more coverage than that to indicate a revival is on the way - hence my previouscomment about "what is the point of all this youth development."

Recent attendances I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the BSF in other threads have been 250 for Lakeside Hammers v Belle Vue Colts and 350 for last week's meeting at Isle of Wight.

There are always exceptions. IOW is a bit isolated and we already have a thread running about affordable ways to actually get there. Personally, I wouldn't visit Lakeside if it were free and it wasn't exactly well supported when in the Elite League, not that I wish the club any ill, I just dislike the track.

There are always exceptions. IOW is a bit isolated and we already have a thread running about affordable ways to actually get there. Personally, I wouldn't visit Lakeside if it were free and it wasn't exactly well supported when in the Elite League, not that I wish the club any ill, I just dislike the track.

Fair comment foamfence. I accept fully what you say and respect your point of view.

There's always one isn't there. :mad:

The last world class rider England produced was? And don't say Tai Woffinden....

And how many times since have supporters got excited about the next pretender?

And... apart from Tai Woffinden, who doesn't really count, he was tutored in Aussie... who was England's last Grand Prix meeting winner?

Edited by moxey63

you are correct of course but won't the 'asset' question come up? X, Y or Z team benefitting from coaching they don't actually provide themselves and conversely will the BSPA or whoever object to the expense of training someone else's asset?

It could be funded by a tax of sorts but you can't see that being popular. It highlights the lack of unity in the sport, which is essentially 30 different businesses loosely associated

Very loosely. :sad: :sad: :sad:

The last world class rider England produced was? And don't say Tai Woffinden....

And... apart from Tai Woffinden, who doesn't really count, he was tutored in Aussie... who was England's last Grand Prix meeting winner?

A different world now Moxey but i think a couple will come through and challenge Cook/Lambert in the future at domestic level anyway.
  • Like 2

Chris Harris

• Like 1

I would say that having a lot of lads filling team spots in the top two leagues is far more important than having one reach the GP's or even be World Champion. I firmly believe that having local youngsters in the team is one of the few ways you will attract and keep young spectators.

Of course the more people in the PL the more chance that one will develop into a GP rider but the important thing is to allow the youngsters to get as far as they can and enable them to stay in the sport long term.

• Like 8

Chris Harris

Thank you! And it was back in 2007... 10 years ago.

How time flies.

Think of all the young lads with we all thought were destined for the top that have since ended their careers after that promise had long gone and the expectations too..

I would say that having a lot of lads filling team spots in the top two leagues is far more important than having one reach the GP's or even be World Champion. I firmly believe that having local youngsters in the team is one of the few ways you will attract and keep young spectators.

Of course the more people in the PL the more chance that one will develop into a GP rider but the important thing is to allow the youngsters to get as far as they can and enable them to stay in the sport long term.

You echo my thinking. A strong league foundation is much more important, I feel to fans, than GPs. Give me seven riders in a side every week, just that side, giving their all, and let those with GP ambitions just let them get on with it. I got into speedway because it was a team sport. The mid-seventies, when your team was your team, all your boys. I lost interest when my team, the riders in it, were tooting and shooting all over the globe in other leagues, all over our domestic leagues in a doubling-up and down pathetic scenario.

Not bothered about Britain's next world star. Just give me someone who can be associated with my team... maybe even several

• Like 2

Thank you! And it was back in 2007... 10 years ago.

How time flies.

Think of all the young lads with we all thought were destined for the top that have since ended their careers after that promise had long gone and the expectations too..

You echo my thinking. A strong league foundation is much more important, I feel to fans, than GPs. Give me seven riders in a side every week, just that side, giving their all, and let those with GP ambitions just let them get on with it. I got into speedway because it was a team sport. The mid-seventies, when your team was your team, all your boys. I lost interest when my team, the riders in it, were tooting and shooting all over the globe in other leagues, all over our domestic leagues in a doubling-up and down pathetic scenario.

Not bothered about Britain's next world star. Just give me someone who can be associated with my team... maybe even several

I see 'confused of Manchester' is still at it. One minute he is trying to decry the efforts asking when was the last time we produced a GP winner, and now saying he just wants to see Brits in his team. By his own admissions on here, he never used to pay to get into BV in the days of the Speedway Mail, and has repeatedly said he wouldn't go and watch speedway now even if they gave him a free lifelong pass.

Move on.

• Like 2

I see 'confused of Manchester' is still at it. One minute he is trying to decry the efforts asking when was the last time we produced a GP winner, and now saying he just wants to see Brits in his team. By his own admissions on here, he never used to pay to get into BV in the days of the Speedway Mail, and has repeatedly said he wouldn't go and watch speedway now even if they gave him a free lifelong pass.

Move on.

I was merely trying to point out how British fans get all excited about the next prospect... our next World Champion whose crowning will immediately unlock the media's realisation that speedway is a special sport that not only the odd-bods like. I was highlighting the fact that it was 10 years ago since one of our golden riders actually gave the flag-wavers something worth waving for.

I was merely pointing to the fact that domestic speedway is more important than keeping that flag for another 10 years... that George Cross T-shirt, the whacky shorts. Bemoaning the fact that 45,000 half-filled Cardiff and yet the press didn't even mention us.

Perhaps it lacks press interest because they see it as a dis-organised sport, a one-day here, the it's gone sort of thing.

Without a decent league structure, why would the press bother reporting what most people see as a monster-truck sort of thing in Wales? To them, they see speedway as the great unwashed sport that the strange folk like.

In fact, it's that fragile.. I wouldn't buy a season ticket.

Coventry..... vanished like that.....

Edited by moxey63