British Speedway Forum

Very sad news, Bob did so many Speedway things exceedingly well. He was an excellent journalist, superb announcer and a great team manager.

He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.

As above. I never knew Bob but certainly knew of him, enjoyed reading his articles and loved his intro at Hull v Reading 1995 on the parade. A great guy, very knowledgable and enthusiastic about speedway. RIP....

Edited by Martin Mauger

I am so very sorry to hear this news. Back in my early supporting days I always enjoyed Bob's work, whether as a writer or announcer. It was hearing him doing the latter authoritatively, clearly and enthusiastically, but most of all in a highly-informed way that made me think how I'd like to do the same one day.

When someone did invite me to try my luck on a mic it was superb to hear encouragement from Bob.

Sadly I didn't get to know him that personally but I know enough we've lost someone who not only loved speedway but served it so finely.

Thanks for making so many meetings that little bit better, Bob. We'll miss you.

• Like 1

Very sad news, Bob did so many Speedway things exceedingly well. He was an excellent journalist, superb announcer and a great team manager.

He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.

Got to know Bob when he was the announcer at Newport. Very personable and friendly. At one visit he asked me over the tannoy if I had enjoyed the 3-2 TOON win against Barcelona the previous Monday night. How did he find that out and we had a good laugh over him knowing my movements.

Very sad, RIP BOB.

• Like 1

Sad news, Bob was a man of integrity and for many years was a fixture at Reading Speedway in one capacity or another, His most brilliant masterstroke in my opionion was putting his reputation and job on the line when the SCB wouldn't support a work permit application for for Per Jonsson stating they didn't think he'd make the required 6 point average. Too young/not good enough they said! I think both Bob and Per enjoyed throwing that one back in their faces.

R.I.P Bob, my thoughts are with his family & friends.

• Like 1

Have not seen Bob for a few years but see alot of him in the 80s he used the Wheatsheaf Stratton alot.He kindly lent me some of his Speedway video collection which is still a prized asset of mine always said hello a friendly bloke RIP Bob.

BOB was a highly valued contributor to Speedway Star over many decades. Although not a journalist by trade - he was a VAT inspector- his rider interviews, Bob Radford's Travels and his coverage of Swindon were first class. His passion for speedway, along with travel, especially cruises, made him a very special person and we will miss him personally and professionally.

Very sad. Only met him once when we used to travel up to Blunsdon on Saturday nights. Nice guy.

R.I.P.

I got to know Bob around 15 years ago when I first got involved at Reading, the guidance he gave me about presenting and announcing were very helpful.

He Nicknamed me The Minder, and always called me that whenever I saw him.

He returned to Reading as announcer during the Legg/Holloway era and we enjoyed some great banter over the tannoy, I had the pleasure of doing a final interview with Bob during Reading last team fixture, sadly he couldn't make the end of era meeting. Which was sad as he did so much for Reading Speedway.

Although I knew Bob was very ill. It's always a shock when someone you know and respect passes on.

RIP Big Bob!

The Minder

• Like 2

Also the fount of knowledge on Norwegian speedway and the man principally responsible for bringing Per Jonsson and Jimmy Nilsen to Reading and Swindon respectively. [The SCB in their wisdom wouldn't issue work permits believing they weren't good enough]

Remember chatting to him on top of the clubhouse at Elgane.

IMO, he was also the best writer in the Speedway Star, and was always worth reading.

Very sad. As others have said he was great on the roving mic back in the day.

Always entertaining he very much wanted to let the fans know what was going on in the pits.

That is sadly lacking these days.

He was forthright but fair in his commentaries.

I only met him once when introduced to him when I was a youngster. He got a personally signed

picture of Phil Crump to me. I still have that some 36 years later.

That was a great kindness that I've never forgotten.

• Like 1

I got to know Bob around 15 years ago when I first got involved at Reading, the guidance he gave me about presenting and announcing were very helpful.

He Nicknamed me The Minder, and always called me that whenever I saw him.

He returned to Reading as announcer during the Legg/Holloway era and we enjoyed some great banter over the tannoy, I had the pleasure of doing a final interview with Bob during Reading last team fixture, sadly he couldn't make the end of era meeting. Which was sad as he did so much for Reading Speedway.

Although I knew Bob was very ill. It's always a shock when someone you know and respect passes on.

RIP Big Bob!

The Minder

You blaming Bob for your antics on the mic at Smallmead then? ;)