British Speedway Forum
keef robin

Fans Faves And Not So Faves!

WHAT no Bob Kilby?

Never met Bob or Briggo, both scored maxes in my first meeting at The Abbey 1968, Swindon 56 Belle Vue 22

Never met Bob or Briggo, both scored maxes in my first meeting at The Abbey 1968, Swindon 56 Belle Vue 22

Briggo is easy to talk to.

Remember having a quick chat with Peter Collins at Cowley (after he had finished riding) and he was most friendly. We got into a discussion about bikes being too fast for many tracks (this was during the late nineties early noughties).

I talk to Ian Cartwright occasionally when I visit his establishment in Kilburn (Mouseman Furniture) and he also very friendly and keen to talk about the past.

Edited by steve roberts

Shane Parker was a wonderful ambassador for Glasgow speedway on and off the track . Took his bike into various schools , spoke to the kids , gave away tickets etc . Always approachable at the track , the ultimate professional

• Like 1

Went to Exeter many years ago with a minibus load of Lions supporters. Bob Coles saw us in the bar afterwards and bought us all a drink! Much appreciated!

Another person, not a rider, was also very friendly at Sheffield - his name was Freddie Starr!

Remember having a quick chat with Peter Collins at Cowley (after he had finished riding) and he was most friendly. We got into a discussion about bikes being too fast for many tracks (this was during the late nineties early noughties).

I talk to Ian Cartwright occasionally when I visit his establishment in Kilburn (Mouseman Furniture) and he also very friendly and keen to talk about the past.

Is he Simon's father?

I enjoyed watching Simon race for us Bandits before he retired. I can't remember if Simon was injured or if it was after he retired, but i had a great chat with him on the 1st bend at Shielfield one Saturday evening. A nice bloke.

• Like 1

Is he Simon's father?

I enjoyed watching Simon race for us Bandits before he retired. I can't remember if Simon was injured or if it was after he retired, but i had a great chat with him on the 1st bend at Shielfield one Saturday evening. A nice bloke.

Yes that's right...in fact I've met Simon in York when I greeted him and his family at the visitor attraction that I work at!

Is he Simon's father?

He certainly is, as Steve Roberts says. Ian was one of my early favourites when I began going - Simon had exactly the same riding style. Simon at Berwick would have been a serious throwback to see, as Shielfield's track is very similar to what Halifax was.

• Like 1

a few from the past:- pk, todd wiltshire, ceggy, lukas dryml, crumpy.

I always found Crumpy a condescending **** but I suppose it takes all sorts.

• Like 1

I always found Crumpy a condescending **** but I suppose it takes all sorts.

Phil Crump seemed a nice bloke.

• Like 1

Hard to single riders out from Cradley. I think we've been fortunate to have many riders in the past who have been great with the fans - all the World Champions included.

There have been very many great social evenings and the Events with Greg and Erik at the Venue in Dudley will long live in the memory as very special occasions.

Shane Parker, Mark Lemon, jason lyons all top blokes who would chat away and drink. James Grieves is another who appreciates fans and is great to chat to. At the Plrc when Sam Masters won my wife and l ended up in the company of cookie before he rode for edinburgh, he is a legend really funny and i convinced him Glasgow were a better club that night. Another rider i found great to have a beer with was Chris Neath felt like i knew him all my life a truly lovely guy. There are many more who deserve to be mentioned but a special mention to diesel dave, joe screens mechanic, you gotta love him my kind of englishman didnt mind photos either.

Don't believe there is a friendlier or more pleasant rider to speak to than Danyon Hume who is always more than happy to chat with supporters.

One of the nicest Riders I have met in fairly recent Speedway is Chris Kerr of Redcar and Wolverhampton fame. Always ready to have a chat. A real gentleman in my opinion.

I don't know what he is doing now - but wherever he is I sincerely hope that he is doing well.

Good luck Chris.

Thanks for the memories.