British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

3, 5 And Now 12

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I've been meaning to ask. I thought the idea was that GP riders chose a number and stuck to it. I'm sure I'm right in saying that this is Nicki's 3rd number. What gives?

I believe riders also have the choice to use their previous year GP finishing position as their race number, and that's what Nicki has done hence the change each year.

I believe riders also have the choice to use their previous year GP finishing position as their race number, and that's what Nicki has done hence the change each year.

Interesting. Thank you. But would you choose to redo all your PR material etc. to change from 5 to 12? Seems an odd decision.

Interesting. Thank you. But would you choose to redo all your PR material etc. to change from 5 to 12? Seems an odd decision.

Decals on vans etc. would be easy to change, merchandising wise it's actually quite shrewed. All the die hard Nicki fans will buy new merchandise with his current race number on it, where as fans of riders who use the same race number each year may decide to stick with what they've got.

I think the whole race number thing has been good for marketing and merchandising purposes for riders as a whole, but it nowhere near has the same impact as it does in Moto GP. Ask anyone with an slight interest in Moto GP who #46 is and they'll know, ask the casual speedway fan who #85 is and they won't have a clue!

......ask the casual speedway fan who #85 is and they won't have a clue!

Antonio Zagar?

• Like 1

The Catalan GP is all a bit weird at the moment - they've banned alcohol within the track compounds too much to the displeasure of many fans. To be honest, the grid girls don't really bother me. They're there, they're used as marketing tools but they're not overly prominent and there's plenty of other women working in the paddock so that argument is flawed.

Can't remember who it was but one of the Spanish Moto GP riders had his Mum as his 'grid girl' last sunday at the Jerez GP as it was mothers day in Spain.

The Catalan GP is all a bit weird at the moment - they've banned alcohol within the track compounds too much to the displeasure of many fans. To be honest, the grid girls don't really bother me. They're there, they're used as marketing tools but they're not overly prominent and there's plenty of other women working in the paddock so that argument is flawed.

Can't remember who it was but one of the Spanish Moto GP riders had his Mum as his 'grid girl' last sunday at the Jerez GP as it was mothers day in Spain.

Wrong thread- that`s the Gustix factor coming into play :lol:

Think that only the top 8 can have that number. Hence why most choose a number higher than that and keep it regardless of finishing position

Wrong thread- that`s the Gustix factor coming into play :lol:

He's started off his own thread on the subject now so that should be the end of it. At least it was bike related this time. Watched some of the stox stuff in betweeen the swedish league coverage on Tuesday - what a snoozefest!

Think that only the top 8 can have that number. Hence why most choose a number higher than that and keep it regardless of finishing position

I thought it was top 15 who could keep their number?

So this wasn't a daft question. From what you've said, Nicki really doesn't really have his own number? He is just keeping his previous year's finishing position every year.