British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

British Youth Championship 2017

Pleased to see that Belle Vue now have a round scheduled for Sat 5th August.

The meeting last year was really good with the youngsters handling the big wide open spaces very well.

SUNDAY JULY 9 2017:

From the SGB website:

BRITISH YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP, Leicester
Meeting abandoned due to lack of medical cover.
No result declared.
Edited by Guest

The 85cc World Championship was held this weekend at Elgane in Norway.Pity no British rider attended.A young rider from Australia made it over and qualified for the final and gt a decent 9 pts as well

SUNDAY JULY 9 2017:

No result declared.

Shame on Leicester.

SUNDAY JULY 9 2017:

From the SGB website:

No result declared.

It is understood that the lack of medical cover followed an accident to a rider who needed hospital treatment. It appears that an ambulance from the local station was not available for some time meaning the track ambulance and paramedic had to travel with the rider to hospital. This left the meeting without adequate medical/ambulance cover and resulted in the meeting being called off.

Edited by Guest

It is understood that the lack of medical cover followed an accident to a rider who needed hospital treatment. It appears that an ambulance from the local station was not available for some time meaning the track ambulance and paramedic had to travel with the rider to hospital. This left the meeting without adequate medical/ambulance cover and resulted in the meeting being called off.

Sadly this can happen in the sport and whilst very annoying for all involved (riders, families & spectators) the priority lays with the injured rider. Wishing whoever it was a speedy recovery.

Just returned from a really enjoyable round of the British Youth Championship at Belle Vue. 40+ races run at a cracking pace with some great action, huge well done to all involved.

My favourite class was the 250's. The battling Thompson brothers were excellent, Ablitt was very tidy too but Leon Flint was that bit better than his peers. Brilliant racing style, lovely to watch, wouldn't mind seeing him at no.7 for the Colts in a year or 2's time - don't worry Berwick fans we'd look after him til he's old enough to race for you!

I expected Bickley to coast the 500's, but Gilkes & Kemp were really good & provided yet another reminder of the young talent bubbling under the surface of British speedway. Poland we're not, but I left the stadium far more encouraged about the future than I did when I arrived.

P.S. How spectacular were those sidecar demo races?! That National Final at BV on Oct 14th should be some night!

• Like 1

Echo these thoughts.

A few races would have graced a normal league match for their entertainment.

Well done Neil Vacher and the Belle Vue management

• Like 1

Good to hear reports of a healthy crowd. The 250cc class has been excellent this year with six or so well matched contenders.

• Like 1

What a great night's entertainment last night, a very long night with over 40 races but they completed it all in 3 hours. Run very smoothly.

About 500 ppl there. Just like a NL meeting, that's a massive crowd in contexts to what the other youth champs Get, well done belle vue speedway for promoting the event, adding s name "summer of speed" was a pull I think, it turned it into more than a championship but a night out. Well done.

Fans forum was short but very good, lemon had his say on the Aussies and from what he said big changes coming up with Aussies maybe staying in Aus, where will we get riders from Then, holder and batch have a massive 60 days coming up, if they don't get a team sorted for next year by then they will go in the cooling off period which means they can't come over.

Adrian says they have already spent 12k on advertising, he's been going to all tracks and looking at what they do and going to to collect the info and put all his finds into next season, next season should be a cracker I think. Adrian really is a top/nice man.

Onto the racing, them f2s diddnt impress me in afraid, they stall alot, riders like roynon and Kyle were struggling, sorry But They won't take off.

The men in black bore me like they always do but the smell they produce is heaven, and the noise is Very loud on our track.

The side cars are fast. Looking forward to seeing them on October 14th, gonna be a brill night.

The 125 class, they have some little riders, good to see a female amongst Them, Harry McGurk head and shoulders amongst the rest but he knows track well. There was alot of 125 riders which is good to see, shows there is interest in speedway from young riders.

The 500cc class was good, Kyle Bickley the lucky winner have a brilliant pass and 're pass by drew Kemp saw him lead but his bike gave up the ghost last lap, he was gutted. Shame on the kid, gilkes impressed me to.

The250 class was the highlight for me, these boys were bloody brilliant, some of there races was brilliant, one of there races you could throw a blanket over all 4 of them from tapes to flag, passing and 're passing every straight and bend, one of the best races seen at the NSS, if not the best. I predicted Leon Flint to win it and he diddnt disappoint, he's such a star in the making, his style aswell is brilliant. Let's hope Belle Vue Colts tie him down for a no7 spot next year when he turns 15,

So we'll done all and thank you Adrian Mark Lemonand neil vatcher for a brilliant Saturday night at the speedway

• Like 6

Looks like it was a great meeting, however something i was looking forward to from the report was the F2 Trials, and reading the above its seems they are still not ready for League racing, so it would be nice to read what were the actual problems were, and whats actually causing these problems is it the exhaust systems ?. How long has Peter Seaton been on this project now, I really wish him well with this but it seems there are still difficulties to overcome.

Looks like it was a great meeting, however something i was looking forward to from the report was the F2 Trials, and reading the above its seems they are still not ready for League racing, so it would be nice to read what were the actual problems were, and whats actually causing these problems is it the exhaust systems ?. How long has Peter Seaton been on this project now, I really wish him well with this but it seems there are still difficulties to overcome.

The real problem IMO is the chicken-and-egg business. F2 will never take off until there is a supply of cheap second-hand bikes; remember, you can buy a pre-used ordinary speedway bike for £1,000 - £1,500. And, of course, there won't be a supply of s/h F2 bikes until after it has taken off!

Also, F2 bikes are more complicated and cumbersome than ordinary bikes, which are very simple. The only drawback with these is the cost of having the engines rebuilt.

BRITISH YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP Round 6 @ Belle Vue, Sat 5th Aug, 2017

Results for those who couldn't attend the meeting.

Class 125cc

1st Harry McGurk

2nd Archie Freeman

3rd Luke Harrison

4th Elliott Kelly

Class 250cc

1st Leon Flint

2nd Nathan Ablitt

3rd Jason Edwards

4th Dan Thompson

Class 500cc

1st Kyle Bickley

2nd Dan Gilkes

3rd Carl Basford

4th Drew Kemp

A good attendance for the Belle Vue round and a good meeting for those that. attended.

Neil has done a great job and there are some talented U16s on the horizon.

It bodes well for the future and I hope the BSPA not only continue their backing but upgrade it and go to another level.