British Speedway Forum
keef robin

More Chanting Required

Said this many times, speedway needs to follow the road taken by darts, snooker, boxing by getting riders to have nicknames - not the boring predictable type but put a bit of thought into it.

Secondly, there arn't enough villains who can get the crowd fired up and booing.

It's all got far too nice.

I couldn't agree more. Where are the Jack Millens and Tony Childs of today? :sad: :sad: :sad:

When Wolverhampton were a good side in the mid 90s they sued to bring a lot of fans to Belle Vue. Their number and collective noise created great banter and even keener support from both sets of supporters, and the matches seemed more evenly contested out on the track. I suppose that's why the old Wolves-Cradley matches were so intense.

Perhaps encouraging away support by lowering admission for away fans would be worth a try - but it isn't my money and the promoters will have to consider this. I know this could be open to abuse, but there must be away to ensure that only away fans can pass the test.

But, again with me, I have a negative. You have to give the fans from both sides a reason to support their teams... and this means riders they connect with. Otherwise it's a case of showing your passions for somebody that's going to leg it for the quickest door once they have chance. Once stung and all that.

Crikey!!!

I know Speedway needs more Supporters - but does this not seem a bit desperate from Belle Vue?

• Like 1

When Wolverhampton were a good side in the mid 90s they sued to bring a lot of fans to Belle Vue. Their number and collective noise created great banter and even keener support from both sets of supporters, and the matches seemed more evenly contested out on the track. I suppose that's why the old Wolves-Cradley matches were so intense.

Perhaps encouraging away support by lowering admission for away fans would be worth a try - but it isn't my money and the promoters will have to consider this. I know this could be open to abuse, but there must be away to ensure that only away fans can pass the test.

But, again with me, I have a negative. You have to give the fans from both sides a reason to support their teams... and this means riders they connect with. Otherwise it's a case of showing your passions for somebody that's going to leg it for the quickest door once they have chance. Once stung and all that.

I saw fighting at Wolves Cradley, never mind chanting!

The lack of atmosphere on the terraces pretty much epitomises the decline of the sport here over the years. Monmore being a classic example. I've been in the stadium when it's been raucous, yet the mood now is so tame. The play off final last season shows what can be done when a decent atmosphere is generated.

• Like 2

I saw fighting at Wolves Cradley, never mind chanting!

The lack of atmosphere on the terraces pretty much epitomises the decline of the sport here over the years. Monmore being a classic example. I've been in the stadium when it's been raucous, yet the mood now is so tame. The play off final last season shows what can be done when a decent atmosphere is generated.

You can't have Play Offs every week though.

• Like 1

You can't have Play Offs every week though.

You certainly can't. You can't have Cardiff every week. The important things are what keeps fans entertained weekly from March through October. And we haven't got that.

• Like 2

What's wrong with a little polite applause in between the sips of tea from our flasks and cucumber sandwich bites?

• Like 1

You certainly can't. You can't have Cardiff every week. The important things are what keeps fans entertained weekly from March through October. And we haven't got that.

The season gets even shorter, April to early September, sometimes a month with no home meeting (at The Abbey).

• Like 1

Are we talking July beefy as I think most teams do not ride much during this month because of the Pairs, Cardiff, Fours & Team World Cup.

Planning!!!! Can't Organise A Pi$$ Up In A Brewery.

Then they make a new rule when no more transfers are allowed after the end of the month.

Are we talking July beefy as I think most teams do not ride much during this month because of the Pairs, Cardiff, Fours & Team World Cup.

Planning!!!! Can't Organise A Pi$$ Up In A Brewery.

Then they make a new rule when no more transfers are allowed after the end of the month.

No this is recently...Thursday night was speedway night. Not enough teams in league to justify that now, and we dont need to go down the ice hockey route where they face some teams 3 times at home!

One big league of 18 teams for me.

Edited by beefy keefy

I don't mind chants, rattles etc.

But Air Horns drive me mad, or used to when I went.

Do you not go anymore? :rolleyes:

I don't mind chants, rattles etc.

But Air Horns drive me mad, or used to when I went.

Airhorns make for a very good atmosphere if used the right way.

And airhorns used in the wrong way do get up other people's noses ( and ears! ) and if used too close to other fans, are downright dangerous.

Yes, the centre green presenter at KL does try to rouse a chant but by doing sections of the "crowd" it sounds so feeble. "on the back straight now" ******** Nowt. At least try "lets do a big one altogether now"! Not that I think that will sound very powerful either but.... Give us an S give us a T etc ( only five letters so it might work? It did at the end of the last century)!

Surely 'Atmosphere' is generated by the racing and not superficial outside influences?

It happens at many other sports too...people complain that football has become sterile and plastic in it's atmosphere as well.

Loud music being played, a 'Presenter' shouting nonsense for the sake of it, and airhorns...do not make an 'atmosphere'...they just make a barrier of white noise.

Also the age demograph of people at Speedway and football is a lot older now. They are less likely to chant...but they will cheer when the riding is good.

In fact it's been discussed, that it's the outside influences, like music, and needless talk from a Presenter, that's killing the natural build up of a good atmosphere created by a crowd.

Noise for the sake of it....is not an 'atmosphere'.

You can feel tension and use all your other senses together, to enjoy a meeting. Sound and it being loud, doesn't mean it's been exciting.

Just my opinion...

• Like 2

Surely 'Atmosphere' is generated by the racing and not superficial outside influences?

It happens at many other sports too...people complain that football has become sterile and plastic in it's atmosphere as well.

Loud music being played, a 'Presenter' shouting nonsense for the sake of it, and airhorns...do not make an 'atmosphere'...they just make a barrier of white noise.

Also the age demograph of people at Speedway and football is a lot older now. They are less likely to chant...but they will cheer when the riding is good.

In fact it's been discussed, that it's the outside influences, like music, and needless talk from a Presenter, that's killing the natural build up of a good atmosphere created by a crowd.

Noise for the sake of it....is not an 'atmosphere'.

You can feel tension and use all your other senses together, to enjoy a meeting. Sound and it being loud, doesn't mean it's been exciting.

Just my opinion...

Not in Poland, they just chant etc the whole meeting from beginning to end, would do my head in every week. They have so much pride for their teams ....
  • Like 1

Give us an S give us a T etc ( only five letters so it might work? It did at the end of the last century)!

If that's as inventive as it gets maybe we really shouldn't bother :rolleyes:

Sadly. The current centre green presenter at KL is not even as inventive as that!

Aha! people could record loud applause and cheering on their mobile phones and then play it back at the end of good race. At the same time as holding up their phone and waving it above their heads.