Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
keef robin

More Chanting Required

Each to their own. I wouldn't want to be caged in like an animal and I'd hate Speedway in the UK to be as partisan as this. I know I can stand next to visiting fans and have a nice friendly chat throughout a match so Polish style doesn't impress me one bit I'm afraid but I know there are others who would love it. Just not for me. I wouldn't go anymore.

Each to their own. I wouldn't want to be caged in like an animal and I'd hate Speedway in the UK to be as partisan as this. I know I can stand next to visiting fans and have a nice friendly chat throughout a match so Polish style doesn't impress me one bit I'm afraid but I know there are others who would love it. Just not for me. I wouldn't go anymore.

Add to that the others "of a certain generation" with their "don't wave that flag by me", "don't make a noise by me", "don't blow that whistle by me" and "don't blow that air horn by me" attitudes and you can see why watching speedway in Britain is as dull as dishwater.

• Like 1

Add to that the others "of a certain generation" with their "don't wave that flag by me", "don't make a noise by me", "don't blow that whistle by me" and "don't blow that air horn by me" attitudes and you can see why watching speedway in Britain is as dull as dishwater.

when our group at Foxhall starting making all sorts of noise I think we did literally wake a few up - one poor old dear almost dropped a stitch in her knitting too 😆
  • Like 3

Why is British Speedway 'Dull as dishwater'...just because people don't like airhorns, whistles, chanting etc, next to them?

It's not just a Generation thing either.

I like hearing the likes of what was shown on the video...but I'm glad they have areas for this within the stadium. Same as at football...I prefer, like I do my Speedway, to be at the best viewing area, and in an area where I can watch without outside 'interference.

If people want to get pissed, shout, scream, chant, blow airhorns, whistles etc...then do it, but be respectful to others that don't enjoy that and do it in a 'designated area or where it doesn't bother other people.

• Like 5

I suspect that fans like this ( me too! ) are in the majority and if it we stopped going then it really would "all be over"! Regardless of those who want nothing but positive spin on numbers attending etc we are in danger of letting positive spin be very much like the "emperor's new clothes" i.e. naked terraces. Definitely spice it up to some extent ( but don't overdo the Demands for Chanting tonight at the Stars V Swindon by the centre green presenter )

I'm not at all bothered by any of the things you mention but I would hate for UK Speedway to be as partisan as it is in Poland. Now I've lost the team I supported for over 30 years I'm sort of neutral until I get into the habit of being a Lions fan again and I know whichever team a person supports they are always willing to have a friendly chat. I'd like to bet home and away fans aren't like that in Poland.

The only really unpleasant thing that's happened over all my time of visiting different tracks was at Newport, prior to a GP several years ago, when a group of Poles sitting at the back of us kept spilling beer everywhere and we ended up stinking of the stuff, even the poor dog got soaked, so we had to move somewhere else. So thanks but I prefer dull as dishwater to over exuberance, especially if it's fueled by alcohol.

• Like 1

The only time you hear a lot of noise at Brough Park is when the Bears are in town. Maybe it's just a rivalry thing. Then again, Berwick and Ipswich do it just because.

There are times when you wonder if those who believe that Polish-style fan behaviour would be a good thing in Britain really are following the right sport.

If you want vicious baiting and hatred between fans that have to be segregated for fear of violence breaking out there are plenty of football grounds here that offer that kind of 'fun'.

I don't have a problem with atmosphere and I certainly do not have a problem with much larger crowds but the prospect of 'ultras' in speedway would sicken me.

That's not a generational thing. I would have said the same when I first discovered speedway at the age of 13. I loved the fact that while fans were rivals and could have a bit of fun at each others' expense there was no threat and no need to cage rival fans. You could all mix during and after meetings. That was one of the main reasons why I switched sports.

Some people 'get off' on the mob attitude and love the tension. I don't and I suspect I'm not alone and trying to discredit such a view by claiming that it's because I'm too old is beneath contempt. Yes I'm getting old, but it's a damn sight better than the alternative. Perhaps those who blame anyone older than them for speedway's ills might like to tell us at what age we aren't allowed to come any more? Certainly the prospect of meeting people like UK Martin is a very tempting reason to stay home :lol:

If it is a 'generational thing' to seek hostility and violence then I'm glad I don't have too many years left and I can leave those who do enjoy that kind of thing to fester in what would most certainly be a dying sport.

Oh, by the way, as someone who used to get paid to, amongst a few other things, lead 'war cries' they ceased simply because people grew out of them.

1-2-3-4, let's see the Rockets score may have been cute in the 1950s....

(Okay, the real reason I hate war cries is that I managed to foul up one at Eastbourne. Yes, there are only two es in Eagles. :cry: )

• Like 4

There are times when you wonder if those who believe that Polish-style fan behaviour would be a good thing in Britain really are following the right sport.

If you want vicious baiting and hatred between fans that have to be segregated for fear of violence breaking out there are plenty of football grounds here that offer that kind of 'fun'.

I'd love a bit more info on those "plenty of football grounds here" Rob.

I don't have a problem with atmosphere and I certainly do not have a problem with much larger crowds but the prospect of 'ultras' in speedway would sicken me.

That's not a generational thing. I would have said the same when I first discovered speedway at the age of 13. I loved the fact that while fans were rivals and could have a bit of fun at each others' expense there was no threat and no need to cage rival fans. You could all mix during and after meetings. That was one of the main reasons why I switched sports.

Some people 'get off' on the mob attitude and love the tension. I don't and I suspect I'm not alone and trying to discredit such a view by claiming that it's because I'm too old is beneath contempt. Yes I'm getting old, but it's a damn sight better than the alternative. Perhaps those who blame anyone older than them for speedway's ills might like to tell us at what age we aren't allowed to come any more? Certainly the prospect of meeting people like UK Martin is a very tempting reason to stay home :lol:

If it is a 'generational thing' to seek hostility and violence then I'm glad I don't have too many years left and I can leave those who do enjoy that kind of thing to fester in what would most certainly be a dying sport.

Oh, by the way, as someone who used to get paid to, amongst a few other things, lead 'war cries' they ceased simply because people grew out of them.

1-2-3-4, let's see the Rockets score may have been cute in the 1950s....

(Okay, the real reason I hate war cries is that I managed to foul up one at Eastbourne. Yes, there are only two es in Eagles. :cry: )

Yes one of the most attractive aspects of having been a speedway fan for many years was the fact that you could mingle with the fans of opposing teams without, generally, any animosity (although I do recall some 'interesting' banter at Dudley Wood and Monmore Green in particular)

I remember travelling by coach to World Finals abroad during the eighties with a real mixture of fans and a great time was had by all...with the usual leg pulling but fun at the same time.

• Like 2

British speedway fan average age is around 50 and numbers are dwindling by the week and not being replaced by the youth supporters , look at the crowds in Poland ,full of young fans average age 20 boys and girls , all wearing team scarfs on their wrists or team tershirts , so who is doing things right ? You may not like the answer cause it doesn't appeal to you but as far as I can see there is no next generation speedway in Britain, 42,000 fans attended 4 polish extra league meetings on Sunday and 2 of them were live on tv ,plus all the other polish league that took place , how many attended British speedway last week ?

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

British speedway fan average age is around 50 and numbers are dwindling by the week and not being replaced by the youth supporters , look at the crowds in Poland ,full of young fans average age 20 boys and girls , all wearing team scarfs on their wrists or team tershirts , so who is doing things right ? You may not like the answer cause it doesn't appeal to you but as far as I can see there is no next generation speedway in Britain, 42,000 fans attended 4 polish extra league meetings on Sunday and 2 of them were live on tv ,plus all the other polish league that took place , how many attended British speedway last week ?

Almost certainly not 42,000 ( in one week ) Possibly British speedway might top that in one month. I enjoy watching the Polish matches on Premier Sports and wish they showed them all.

As has been said, Polish fans are a lot younger than British fans. They will still be going strong when the British fan base has died out.

Am I going to the right sport? Yes. I'd far rather go to Poland for the excitement of their league speedway than attend the local Derby & Joan club to watch their Bridge League matches (which is what British speedway is becoming like)

Have yòu been attending too many Health & Safety courses Rob? Just because fans bark at each other, doesn't mean that they bite.

As has been said, Polish fans are a lot younger than British fans. They will still be going strong when the British fan base has died out.

Am I going to the right sport? Yes. I'd far rather go to Poland for the excitement of their league speedway than attend the local Derby & Joan club to watch their Bridge League matches (which is what British speedway is becoming like)

Have yòu been attending too many Health & Safety courses Rob? Just because fans bark at each other, doesn't mean that they bite.

They can and do at Football - I hope I never hear of it at British Speedway.