British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

World U21 Team Final Rybnik Saturday 2nd September Live On Internet

I reckon the Poles and Lions should've swopped machinery then see what the outcome would be....

And what exactly would that achieve? The Poles had home track advantage. Well, boo hoo. It happens every few years. Team GB has home track advantage in the SWC by virtue of Busters Back Yard, EVERY YEAR. See how Team GB would get on if SWC Event 1 was in Czech Republic or Australia, or Latvia...or Russia, or USA. We wouldn't be so certain of qualification to the next round then.

Lambert is nowhere near the best we have now.

I think that the context of this is the Under 21 scene, in which case he is. Cookie, Worrall etc are substantially older than even the Polish Senior squad that won the SWC. At u21 level, what you saw at Rybnik was the best that we have, and it's clearly well off the pace of other youngsters from around the world.

Josh Pickering even managed 6 points ffs, he even got a race win. Something not 1 of our lads managed.

I'm amazed at how the Aussies who have no financial advantages over the British lads are able to perform on the world stage. Kurtz, Jack Holder, Fricke, and even Justin Sedgmen, were all able to get places in Polish teams, whilst all we hear from British riders is "boo hoo, it's very difficult to get a team place in Poland, sob sob".

I'd question our youngsters mentality over anything else first.

Absolutely. That and a pressure from the BSPA to support British leagues above all others, including the prospect of a ban from international competitions like the SEC, the Pairs etc when these lads get older, a lack of opportunities from the BSPA / SCB to pit our youngsters against international competition in the form of test matches, and the "being average is good enough" comfort zone of being able to make ends meet by earning a decent crust by riding in 3 British leagues at once.

Make those young riders NEED to ride on the contenent to earn their money, make British speedway a one-rider-one-team sport by abolishing doubling up and guesting, and you'll have a hungrier more determined rider who will have to suppliement their earnings abroad, and in the process gain experience and skills that will make them into better riders.

• Like 4

I reckon the Poles and Lions should've swopped machinery then see what the outcome would be....

Australia first, Poland second, Denmark third and GB still last

All comes down to the quality of rider and the training received imo, GB have riders from different motorcycling backgrounds whereas all the other countries have brought their riders through established junior competitions that historically have produced world class riders.

GB have ignored this for the past 20 years and simply left it to chance that a rider would emerge- Woffenden a prime example.

Our current state of league racing and the need to produce home grown riders should now be making promoters think likewise but don't hold your breath , if more promotions had been like Len Silver and looked at UK riders first then maybe the quality would be there.

Edited by GWC

Does anybody know how Dan Bewley is? It isn't clear if his first race stop was engine failure or a recurrence of his groin injury, as he didn't race again the latter looks more likely.

Whilst I don't disagree with the views that Brits are 1) not good enough 2) not given enough opportunities I wonder what difference bikes used makes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that Kurtz used his Polish bikes and Jack Holder was on Chris Holder's bike (presumably Polish). Did the other Aussies also use engines that are usually used in Poland and therefore more suited to Polish tracks? I'm not trying to take away from the Aussies achievements simply interested in the differing standards of bikes used (if any).

I know Lambert rides in Poland but have no idea which bikes he used.

If the bikes do make that much difference how can we put all the blame the Brits who presumably don't have the advantage of Polish clubs and the bikes behind them.

Whilst I don't disagree with the views that Brits are 1) not good enough 2) not given enough opportunities I wonder what difference bikes used makes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that Kurtz used his Polish bikes and Jack Holder was on Chris Holder's bike (presumably Polish). Did the other Aussies also use engines that are usually used in Poland and therefore more suited to Polish tracks? I'm not trying to take away from the Aussies achievements simply interested in the differing standards of bikes used (if any).

I know Lambert rides in Poland but have no idea which bikes he used.

If the bikes do make that much difference how can we put all the blame the Brits who presumably don't have the advantage of Polish clubs and the bikes behind them.

Fricke would have had his Polish bikes and he rides for Rybnik and Kurtz is his replacement there after he was injured so both had home track advantage. However, none of that explains why we couldn't compete with the Danes.

You are all a bit too negative. It is an achievement already for the Young Lion to have reached the top four nations final in this Junior Team Championship.

Except for the Poles, who are really miles ahead at the moment, I don't think that the Aussies are so superior (once You remove Holder, Fricke and Kurtz), and Denmark seems to struggle very much to find new stars. Britain is very nearly on the same level as these two nations, and probably already ahead of Sweden with their junior riders. The situation is not at all bad for GB.

I think to some extent the question was answered at the world 250cc final in Prague.When the Danish kid who went on to win was asked about the stone hard track he said he was used to the same conditions at home.That is,most continental tracks are fairly similar.Or at least some are,so they get to ride regularly on tracks that are the same in Denmark,Czech and Poland etc

We have something of a unique set up,which might help the development of riders used to different conditions,but is a hindrance to us as we get little experience on continental style tracks

Does anybody know how Dan Bewley is? It isn't clear if his first race stop was engine failure or a recurrence of his groin injury, as he didn't race again the latter looks more likely.

He did have 1 more race in which he was 2nd.Think he is injured though.

He did have 1 more race in which he was 2nd.Think he is injured though.

I think you'll find that it was Lambert who replaced Dan that was second.

• Like 1

I think you'll find that it was Lambert who replaced Dan that was second.

Thanks,you are probably right,I noticed they never showed the joker replacement and Lambert had 4 pts in one race.

Just watched that and the teamgb riders should really take a look at themselves. Shocking display. Looked like a real lack of effort.

We (the Poles) were saying the same thing going back to the 70's and 80's when the Iron Curtain was solid, and we were "the poor cousins"

As far as I am aware riders nowdays (from all countries) have equal access to modern technology, so what's stopping UK riders to have the same machinery as their PL rivals?

• Like 1

We (the Poles) were saying the same thing going back to the 70's and 80's when the Iron Curtain was solid, and we were "the poor cousins"

As far as I am aware riders nowdays (from all countries) have equal access to modern technology, so what's stopping UK riders to have the same machinery as their PL rivals?

Money probably. Do the Polish youngsters buy all their own equipment, how many engines and bikes do they own, how many times per week do they race/practice?
  • Like 1

Money probably. Do the Polish youngsters buy all their own equipment, how many engines and bikes do they own, how many times per week do they race/practice?

And yet we are brainwashed in the UK constantly into believing that we are amongst the richest of the world's countries and that places such as Poland are somehow far behind us in modern day to day life.

Here's the concrete evidence that blows all these propaganda notions out the water. A friend of mine who came to Poland with me for the first time for a speedway weekend a few years back thought he was going to a backward country at the time. Now, having been back many times over the past 7 or 8 years, he knows Poland is light years ahead of the UK in so many ways, not just on a speedway track...