British Speedway Forum

It was nice to read and hear Magic's reaction on winning in Horsen's last night, he did and has clearly stated that he owes his success over the years to racing the small tracks here in the UK, just might have a reaction on how some Polish juniors treat racing in Sweden and Denmark, and instead start racing here in the UK instead.

Was really nice to see Magic win last night, fully deserved.

Hope you enjoy it, the atmosphere around the stadium in all the pubs etc full of speedway fans for most of the saturday is great. For a short break from the fans go for a wander along the river behind the stadium or around the castle.

Thanks, really looking forward to it I've been 7 or 8 times I reckon but missed the last 4 or 5. Never stopped over after it so should be a good night. I've stayed over in Somerset a couple of times after the pairs and made my way to Cardiff. Just had a thought it could be 2 nights away now. Lol.

Thanks, really looking forward to it I've been 7 or 8 times I reckon but missed the last 4 or 5. Never stopped over after it so should be a good night. I've stayed over in Somerset a couple of times after the pairs and made my way to Cardiff. Just had a thought it could be 2 nights away now. Lol.

The pairs meeting is usually excellent and the line up should be quality this year. I do recommend getting down there early as the motorway will get extremely busy down there on a Friday afternoon.

• Like 1

Wonder how much of an effect Nicki pulling out had on the crowd?He is amazingly popular and the new generation just don't have his record or his popularity.Add to that the drop off at the moment.Must be the worse GP season for the Danes in a long while and nothing on the horizon.............ominous

MUCH the same in Sweden since Tony Rickardsson quit

Good stuff from Horsens last night, just how tough is Jason Doyle. Always surprised when I see empty seats at this GP with only an 11,500 capacity.

I was surprised by empty seats too, always been full in past, I can only presumeNicki Pedersen injury affected attendance.

Regards Jason Doyle, we bumped into him (not literally) in motorway services on Friday morning, his foot was all bandaged up with no shoe on and couldn't put any weight on it he said he would be fine but at that point I thought even if does ride he will struggle, what a performance.

Edited by Rob B

It was still a pretty decent crowd I bet they weren't too upset with that at all. Must have been 10k there. Not too shabby.

The Danes performing so badly this year certainly would not have helped tho.

I for one really hope Horsens stays in the SGP calendar. Cool little stadium, served up 3 belting GPS thus far. Id say with current old guard although off form at moment still all more than capable on their day & Madsen (very underrated IMO) Jepsen Jensen, Thomsen & a few others the Danes are not a spent force just yet.

Edited by RPNYC

Any news on next year's Danish GP, am I right that was the 3rd year of 3 year contract at Horsens?

It was still a pretty decent crowd I bet they weren't too upset with that at all. Must have been 10k there. Not too shabby.

The Danes performing so badly this year certainly would not have helped tho.

I for one really hope Horsens stays in the SGP calendar. Cool little stadium, served up 3 belting GPS thus far. Id say with current old guard although off form at moment still all more than capable on their day & Madsen (very underrated IMO) Jepsen Jensen, Thomsen & a few others the Danes are not a spent force just yet.

A 10.000 crowd in supposingly one of the Worlds major speedway nations is not a good result. Crowds at Vojens were significantly better than this in years gone by

A 10.000 crowd in supposingly one of the Worlds major speedway nations is not a good result. Crowds at Vojens were significantly better than this in years gone by

BUT look at the quality of Danish riders in years gone by.

Agreed. As comparison Im pretty sure that nz drew more every year, and nz is hardly a hotbed of speedway talent...

To be fair it was one empty section in the main stand on turn 2 and a bit at the back of the open end, maybe tv picked up bits I couldn't see

One thing I found out via locals is that a lot were given free tickets via their place of work etc and a lot didn't go, was talking to 2 guys in a bar, both had tickets and both had no interest in speedway so didn't go, even offered me their tickets, which I didn't take the option on because I had mine, they said a lot of people had tickets but weren't going

Loads of people sat near me were more interested in their VIP free beers and when I popped to the loo, at least 50-100 people were just stood drinking in the VIP bar, they wernt watching the speedway at all and seemed to stay there all night

I had a guy sat next to me who seemed to enjoy the meeting with his son who wasn't so interested but they left after heat 20, I honestly believe they thought it was over

I played a bit extra to go for a pre meeting meal with free beers and there was probably 1000 people there (was in the Casa arena forum which adjoins the stadium) and i would say most of these people were local businessmen who had invited work colleagues and customers and very few had any knowledge of speedway, possibly never even been before

I enjoyed the whole weekend, there were some real speedway fans there, but I had the overview that at least 40% of the spectators were on a jolly up and were more interested in drinking beer than watching speedway

I also don't think it helps that Horsens is not a speedway city, they have no team or track, and the city isn't massive so hotels aren't that plentiful, maybe better if they move it for next year but I don't know where would be best

Maybe Copenhagen, but I spoke to people there and most were unaware there was a GP going on

The draw was done in Horsens city centre on Friday lunchtime and NKI and Kildermand were signing autographs and i would estimate 50 people tops were there, most seemed to be locals who just happened to be walking past at the time

I enjoyed the whole weekend, there were some real speedway fans there, but I had the overview that at least 40% of the spectators were on a jolly up and were more interested in drinking beer than watching speedway

I also don't think it helps that Horsens is not a speedway city, they have no team or track, and the city isn't massive so hotels aren't that plentiful, maybe better if they move it for next year but I don't know where would be best

Maybe Copenhagen, but I spoke to people there and most were unaware there was a GP going on

I will respectfully disagree with this. I dont think the problem is the venue. Cracking little Stadium, correct capacity size for current climate. 3 years there's been 3 superb GPs. 2015 the place went bonkers when Danes finished 1st & 3rd, same last year Niki made the final. This year its hardly a surprise there was much less local interest then years gone by. No Danes in top 5 let alone pushing for a medal spot. And after 2 races each the Danish riders had maybe 7 points between them. So again the atmosphere would have been lessened.

We cant judge all GPs by Cardiff's standard...

Edited by RPNYC

The 3 GPs there have been very good but I do think they have been lucky with the weather, temporary tracks outside are disaster waiting to happen.

Copenhagen is too far out of the way with most speedway clubs on the mainland. The venue and location isn't the problem and the racing has been excellent but they did get bigger attendances at Vojens but I think reason it was moved was the corporate hospitality available. I think the reason for empty seats this year is the downward spiral of Nicki Pedersen and Iversen etc.

As i said,ominous for next season.Danes will struggle to qualify,so will be looking at the GP Challenge and if that doesn't produce a rider then a wild card.Even then none of those riders will be doing anything more next season than trying to get into the top 8.The Danes are very patriotic,but love winners.Without Nicki next season we could be looking at another 10% drop in crowd if it is still at Horsens.Novelty of the place wears off as well,which has to be taken into account