British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

Two things:

He should have been professional enough to ensure that he could arrive in time for the meeting, even if something untoward occurred. Over the years I've seen the top men arriving mid-afternoon for an evening meeting - young Mr Lambert should learn a lesson from this.

By every fan, who do you mean? Every speedway fan, or every Lambert fan? I think there's a difference there!

I'm pretty sure Robert is always early for meetings. It was a totally genuine break down near Stansted after flying in from abroad, Robert and his family would not have wanted to miss this meeting!!!

Every fan who will be going to Belle Vue to the British Final :)

The British u21 Champion should always get a shoe into the British Final imo ....

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure Robert is always early for meetings. It was a totally genuine break down near Stansted after flying in from abroad, Robert and his family would not have wanted to miss this meeting!!!

Every fan who will be going to Belle Vue to the British Final

He arrived at Stansted at 7-30am and counldn't get to Newcastle for a 6-30pm start! One and half hours max by train or taxi to Peterborough and then two hours by train Peterborough to Newcastle. His families excuses kept changing -said they tried to get a flight to Glasgow (why!) said the RAC fixed car and it broke down again. That changed to Robert fixed it. If he wanted to be in the meeting he could have even paid the £350 for a taxi from Stansted to Newcastle.

Supporters at the Newcastle semi were robbed of the star attraction they paid to see.If he gets seeded what happens next year -riders will not bother with the semis.

I love watching Robert ride but for the long term good of the sport he should not be seeded to the Final. Tai had better arguments to be seeded last year

Robert has a slightly stronger case with Auty retiring but it really should be one of the reserves. However you can see why there's a desire to get him in, perhaps BT sport are insisting on it.

The BSPA could have saved themselves a lot of flak by allowing themselves a wild card from the word go, by which they could elect any rider for any reason.

• Like 1

He arrived at Stansted at 7-30am and counldn't get to Newcastle for a 6-30pm start! One and half hours max by train or taxi to Peterborough and then two hours by train Peterborough to Newcastle. His families excuses kept changing -said they tried to get a flight to Glasgow (why!) said the RAC fixed car and it broke down again. That changed to Robert fixed it. If he wanted to be in the meeting he could have even paid the £350 for a taxi from Stansted to Newcastle.

Supporters at the Newcastle semi were robbed of the star attraction they paid to see.If he gets seeded what happens next year -riders will not bother with the semis.

I love watching Robert ride but for the long term good of the sport he should not be seeded to the Final. Tai had better arguments to be seeded last year

Erm.... a rider needs a bike to ride, plus protection wear, plus spare tyres, plus tooling

I can see the face on the txi driver and can imagine his reply to the potential client....... on yer bike.....so now we have Robert going up the A1 on his speedway bike, with 20 gall tank of methanol on his back.... love it. :rofl:

• Like 1

There should be a wildcard option in place. As a rule of thumb the place goes to the last qualifier but they should be aware that it's not guarantee as a wildcard could take their spot in unusual circumstances.

The potential wildcard would need to plead his case before an SCB/BSPA jury with supporting evidence to his claim before being considered for a place.

The rules re qualification have been set this year and to alter them however deserving the case may be would be a farce not to mention unfair.

There should be a wildcard option in place. As a rule of thumb the place goes to the last qualifier but they should be aware that it's not guarantee as a wildcard could take their spot in unusual circumstances.

The potential wildcard would need to plead his case before an SCB/BSPA jury with supporting evidence to his claim before being considered for a place.

The rules re qualification have been set this year and to alter them however deserving the case may be would be a farce not to mention unfair.

If you believe there should be a wildcard spot each year then Tai should have had one last year.

The semi finals are there for a reason, ride them and try to qualify.

I remember Mark Loram in 1993? broke his collarbone and tried to ride in the semi at Ipswich but was in to much pain. He didnt get a wildcard and rightly so

• Like 1

Rory winning the British final is more of a concern than lambert missing the semi final.

• Like 2

Rory winning the British final is more of a concern than lambert missing the semi final.

So you dont like the idea of a British citizen (born in Australia) winning the British title

And you dont like the idea of a British citizen (born in England) winning the British title or World title.

Please enlighten me to your criteria as to what nationality is ok for you?

So you dont like the idea of a British citizen (born in Australia) winning the British title

And you dont like the idea of a British citizen (born in England) winning the British title or World title.

Please enlighten me to your criteria as to what nationality is ok for you?

Do you think it's good a rider who can no longer get in his Austrailian national team decides to take a young British riders place in the British championship ?

Oh Yes Tai is a True Brit of course and even has the British flag tattooed on his body and loves riding in his country in front of British fans plus so dedicated to the national title and racing for his country.

If Woffinden wanted to race last year he could have been given a wildcard as there were 2 on offer. One went to the U21 champion in Josh Bates and the other to Danny King who didn't race in either semi-final. Given that, it appears perfectly fair to allow Robert Lambert a place in this year's final now that there is space following Auty's decision to quit.

• Like 1

Do you think it's good a rider who can no longer get in his Austrailian national team decides to take a young British riders place in the British championship ?

Oh Yes Tai is a True Brit of course and even has the British flag tattooed on his body and loves riding in his country in front of British fans plus so dedicated to the national title and racing for his country.

I know it seems a bit strange to some people, but as far as I'm concerned if Rory is British and now rides as British then he has every right to be there if he qualified.

If Woffinden wanted to race last year he could have been given a wildcard as there were 2 on offer. One went to the U21 champion in Josh Bates and the other to Danny King who didn't race in either semi-final. Given that, it appears perfectly fair to allow Robert Lambert a place in this year's final now that there is space following Auty's decision to quit.

He wasnt offered a wildcard because he declined to race in the semi finals, which were both the same weekends as a Grand Prix

Only 7 went through from each semi final and Josh Bates rode in the Scunthorpe semi final so do a bit of research there. Danny King was racing in a pre arranged meeting abroad.

Tai wanted to ride but they didnt give him a wildcard spot

This year it was the top 8 hence no wildcards. So if someone pulls out then the next in line goes in which is Carl Wilkinson not somebody who didnt ride.

Point One..........if he is a British Citizen then yes he has every right to ride

Point Two......you keep banging that lonely old drum...........born in England...............to English parents.................fool

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 1

Erm.... a rider needs a bike to ride, plus protection wear, plus spare tyres, plus tooling

I can see the face on the txi driver and can imagine his reply to the potential client....... on yer bike.....so now we have Robert going up the A1 on his speedway bike, with 20 gall tank of methanol on his back.... love it. :rofl:

Not that difficult to hire a vehicle to take man and machine to the meeting
  • Like 1

Not that difficult to hire a vehicle to take man and machine to the meeting

It might be if you stuck by the side of a road.

• Like 1