British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

He wasnt offered a wildcard because he declined to race in the semi finals, which were both the same weekends as a Grand Prix

Only 7 went through from each semi final and Josh Bates rode in the Scunthorpe semi final so do a bit of research there. Danny King was racing in a pre arranged meeting abroad.

Tai wanted to ride but they didnt give him a wildcard spot

This year it was the top 8 hence no wildcards. So if someone pulls out then the next in line goes in which is Carl Wilkinson not somebody who didnt ride.

Woffinden announced in March he wouldn't be taking part because he couldn't "afford a repeat of what happened to me in 2014 when I became burnt out mentally and physically." http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/4768/tai-out-of-british-championship

Nothing mentions the fact it was on the same weekend as a GP as a reason and clearly the BSPA would have wanted him at the British Final so I'm sure he would have been offered the chance to be seeded through. Or he could have just ridden in the semi-final at Glasgow the day after the GP, but of course that would mean missing a meeting in Poland.. And Chris Harris would have been in the same position but still took part in the semi-finals. Quite simply he didn't want to ride in it last year, I have no problem with that, it's his decision.

No need to 'do my research' because I didn't say Josh Bates hadn't been in a semi-final, just that he was given a wildcard which is fact. As you say, 7 went through and Bates finished 8th in the qualifier. Whether he was given the wildcard as the next rider down (that reason alone would defeat the whole point of having wildcards), as the U21 champion or the combination of both only the BSPA will know.

King was riding in a GP qualifier on the Monday so withdrew from the semi-final on Sunday. The criticism of Lambert here is that he should have had plenty of time to get back for the semi-final after riding abroad the day before so it's only fair to say that King should have been able to manage it the other way around last year.

If you believe there should be a wildcard spot each year then Tai should have had one last year.

The semi finals are there for a reason, ride them and try to qualify.

I remember Mark Loram in 1993? broke his collarbone and tried to ride in the semi at Ipswich but was in to much pain. He didnt get a wildcard and rightly so

I think you misunderstood my post.

Had Tai pleaded his case before a SCB/BSPA jury he would have failed in his attempt to receive a wildcard and rightly so.

If Mark had done the same he would have hopefully been qiven a place and rightfully so.

There's is a place for wildcards in speedway in unusual circumstances that then gives better value to the paying public.

The rules though need to be clearly defined before the season starts.

• Like 1

That's the trouble though one year there's wild cards the next there isn't, like a lot of rules in speedway why do they keep changing things then back again. Does my head in. The points gained for a win and close defeat must have changed half a dozen times in the past ten years. Il say it again. Bonkers

• Like 2

Erm.... a rider needs a bike to ride, plus protection wear, plus spare tyres, plus tooling

I can see the face on the txi driver and can imagine his reply to the potential client....... on yer bike.....so now we have Robert going up the A1 on his speedway bike, with 20 gall tank of methanol on his back.... love it. :rofl:

actually his mechanic was taking all of his gear including bikes seperately in a van. Robert was going to travel by car without any gear. Apparantly when the car didn't start he asked the mechanic to come back to Stansted to get him but they couldn't then get to Newcastle in time

• Like 1

Woffinden announced in March he wouldn't be taking part because he couldn't "afford a repeat of what happened to me in 2014 when I became burnt out mentally and physically." http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/4768/tai-out-of-british-championship

Nothing mentions the fact it was on the same weekend as a GP as a reason and clearly the BSPA would have wanted him at the British Final so I'm sure he would have been offered the chance to be seeded through. Or he could have just ridden in the semi-final at Glasgow the day after the GP, but of course that would mean missing a meeting in Poland.. And Chris Harris would have been in the same position but still took part in the semi-finals. Quite simply he didn't want to ride in it last year, I have no problem with that, it's his decision.

No need to 'do my research' because I didn't say Josh Bates hadn't been in a semi-final, just that he was given a wildcard which is fact. As you say, 7 went through and Bates finished 8th in the qualifier. Whether he was given the wildcard as the next rider down (that reason alone would defeat the whole point of having wildcards), as the U21 champion or the combination of both only the BSPA will know.

King was riding in a GP qualifier on the Monday so withdrew from the semi-final on Sunday. The criticism of Lambert here is that he should have had plenty of time to get back for the semi-final after riding abroad the day before so it's only fair to say that King should have been able to manage it the other way around last year.

The cheese, Don't argue with Gavan's logic,' Nothing Is Ever Tai Woffinden's Fault .

2 More replies to him in the same tone and you risk being called a troll

• Like 3

Perhaps this topic could get back to the actual Final .

Last year's final had some great racing despite the rain coming down for the last hour or so.

Hopefully good weather on the 19th and another night of good racing at the NSS.

Hopefully it plays out like the Craven meeting as that night a lineup that looked so so to many produced one of the best meeting I've seen.

All the Brits tend to go for it in this meeting and the NSS certainly caters for that approach.

Hope it comes over well on BT Sports.

Hopefully it plays out like the Craven meeting as that night a lineup that looked so so to many produced one of the best meeting I've seen.

All the Brits tend to go for it in this meeting and the NSS certainly caters for that approach.

Hope it comes over well on BT Sports.

THE actual coverage of this event and all other domestic meetings on BT this year is in the very capable hands of Steve Saint, who also directs BSI's TV operations from the SGPs.

Steve will have a very experienced crew working with him, including Keith Munrow (graphics, who also does the SGPs), Steve Brandon handling interviews and all of the cameramen and technicians will have worked on speedway before, including for Sky.

I am sure he will do a good job.

THE actual coverage of this event and all other domestic meetings on BT this year is in the very capable hands of Steve Saint, who also directs BSI's TV operations from the SGPs.

Steve will have a very experienced crew working with him, including Keith Munrow (graphics, who also does the SGPs), Steve Brandon handling interviews and all of the cameramen and technicians will have worked on speedway before, including for Sky.

I am sure he will do a good job.

Be interesting to see what BT do with the graphics as its something that was always lacking from Sky. And I have a professional interest these days.

Not totally relevant to this thread but the Best Pairs graphics are terrible. I'd be ashamed of them.

Edited by SCB

Re Rory

In have attended british finals in past that have been won by New Zealanders and have had Aussies in

Also World Cup meetings with both riding for Great Britain

A long time ago but it has happened

Re Rory

In have attended british finals in past that have been won by New Zealanders and have had Aussies in

Also World Cup meetings with both riding for Great Britain

A long time ago but it has happened

Aaah we needed them then

Is it just a rumour? Or has Robert Lambert just been given a place in the British Final?

Is it just a rumour? Or has Robert Lambert just been given a place in the British Final?

As the forum hasn't gone into meltdown, I'd suggest it's a rumour at the moment

• Like 1

If Lambert gets a place it's ridiculous. I don't care how much people want him there, the 9th place riders in both semis should get a race off at Belle Vue if one rider drops out, unless one's score was higher.

• Like 2

If Lambert gets a place it's ridiculous. I don't care how much people want him there, the 9th place riders in both semis should get a race off at Belle Vue if one rider drops out, unless one's score was higher.

Be farcical in the extreme to give Lambert a place

I would give the place to Carl Wilkinson, the highest placed rider that was in the same semi final as Josh Auty. Wouldnt consider the 9th placed ride from the other semi final

• Like 2