British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

No young rider can be "too good" or "have too high an average" to be a reserve in the British Final! Ridiculous? Can't be true - can it? Why are we never told the truth? I heard it said but it must be Fake News.

It was said in the BT coverage apparently

I don't know if it said who had stopped him, but they did state it was due to being of too higher standard!

If you then think this logic through yet again it doesn't make sense - by stating rider is too good it implies that the powers don't want a rider who is likely to take points off the main riders - why not? Yesterday Howarth got excluded, would he have beaten one of the other three - by putting a novice in is that unfair to the other 12 riders? Also it means you are going to have an uncompetitive rider (although Smith looked good) so depriving the fans of entertainment (remember us the ones who pay!!!).

You could argue meeting reserves should be the next highest qualifiers from semi finals - but if rest of field are worried about facing Bewley then don't deserve to be in the field in the first place!!

It was said in the BT coverage apparently

It was Kelv said it during commentary last night

Thought was a dam good meeting from what I saw...

Thought was a dam good meeting from what I saw...

From what you saw. What was you doing, hiding.... :rofl:

Go and pollute another thread

Edited by williamfj
  • Like 1

Imagine if eight riders are seeded next year, how many arguments will there be on here about who's in and who's not!

Two semi-finals featuring the top 32 riders gives almost all the decent Brits a chance of reaching the British Final - so WHY CHANGE IT?

Robert Lambert had his chance this season, but failed to qualify - no need to mess around with changing the rules of fair competition, or introduce seedings or wildcards

They ALL (32) have the same chance

Whats wrong with simply taking the top 16 Brits in the Premiership averages? It should then ensure the best line-up (as long as they all turn-up on time ofc :o )

Noticed in the programme notes penned by Buster Chapman, he did clearly indicate that next year Wildcards could be discussed by the BSPA in an attempt to avoid a similar situation from happening again, he went on to mention that only seven riders might qualify from the semi's, so I do believe that the BSPA have had a kick up the backside by this Robert Lambert situation, remember Robert is a Kings Lynn rider, and Buster is the Kings Lynn promoter, must have really cheesed Buster off when Robert was not there last night, but congrats to Cookie on his win, he did deserve it on the night, star of the night in my eyes was Ben Barker, that win in heat one was one of the best rides I've seen this year, do not know what happened to his bike on the wind down lap, but that's speedway, if its true about Dan Bewley, then Belle Vue should be foaming at the mouth and making their feelings known, it was a good meeting, excellent weather, a good race track was provided to race on, role on next year, if there was one minor discreation on the night for me, it was the presentation of the trophies, how on earth that announcer at Belle Vue got his job I do not know, how can you start calling the riders onto the podium like he did with Steve Worrall and Rory Schlein on the infield, when Cookie was still in the pits doing the TV interview with BT Sports, mind boggling, get rid of that presenter for god's sake, totally embarrassing.

• Like 1

so did i

So was you hiding to with RPNYC. Ive already said it was a good meeting, clearly you only read what you want to read. And the best rider on the night won it..

how can you start calling the riders onto the podium like he did with Steve Worrall and Rory Schlein on the infield, when Cookie was still in the pits doing the TV interview with BT Sports, mind boggling, get rid of that presenter for god's sake, totally embarrassing.

How would he know where the riders were? Surely the paying public deserve priority for trophy presentations than TV? Don't think you can blame the announcer for that.

Whats wrong with simply taking the top 16 Brits in the Premiership averages? It should then ensure the best line-up (as long as they all turn-up on time ofc :o )

a) Not all British riders race in the UK.

B) Doesn't offer up and coming talent outside the top flight from trying to qualify.

Shame on the BSPA re stopping Dan Bewley from riding.

BSPA considering wild cards for the British Final next year..... would this have happened if it was not for Lambert missing out?

The BSPA will never give up their power to run the Sport and therefore will always be rules for the few and not all.

I have been dismayed at the way the sport is run for a long time.... nothing changes !!!

This was absolutely ludicrous. Chapman should hang his head in shame.

How can Bewley (who was not even considered good enough to be put into the 32 for the British semi-finals) be "too good" to be a track reserve for the British Final?

(incidentally Jack Parkinson-Blackburn - highest NL average, even above Bewley - was OK to be track reserve for the British semi-final).

In any case, surely the point of having a track reserve is to replace an excluded/withdrawn rider and ensure that the remaining 3 riders are kept honest and not gifted a point without trying?

If you only want a track reserve to be miles away at the back out of contention, then there's no point in having him at all.

Is Chapman really telling us that he was worried that an 18-year-old with 1 season's experience, might score a point in the British Final and this would embarrass the sport?

Yet he doesn't see that putting an Australian in the BRITISH Final and having him stood on the rostrum actually is embarrassing the sport in Britain??

The lunatics are running the asylum.

Honestly was Bewley denied his chance because of his average surely not ? these people who are running the sport are a joke what annoys me is they are never accountable for there failings.

Honestly was Bewley denied his chance because of his average surely not ? these people who are running the sport are a joke what annoys me is they are never accountable for there failings.

Problem is sid the rest of the promoters will not stand up to them and say, NO.

Are you saying it wasnt a good meeting??? If so, I cant agree with you.