British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

I'm a big Lambert fan..but no way should he have been in the meeting last night..

Imagine if a rider doesn't fancy a certain track so decides he will " break down " on the way...save the hassle of actually riding ..I'll get a wildcard anyway because I'm dead good !...it would make a mockery of qualifiers..let alone be totally unfair on those who rode and we're next in line..

I would have made a better meeting if Lambert had been there for sure..but it was 100% correct that he wasn't in this instance.

TBH .I cant imagine Bewley .really being that bothered . Him along with the rest of British speedway know full well he will be IN the British final next year , and at the rate he's progressing In with a good chance of winning it

I'll put money on him not winning it next year !

It was Kelv said it during commentary last night

SPOKE to Kelvin this afternoon and he didn't know anything about Chapman stopping Bewley from riding.

I AM quite aware of that, under exceptional circumstances and there were opportunities to put him in. If there is a will there is a way. Lost opportunity to help push forward the career of a bright young talent. Just an opinion.

He won't get much change on the continent if he can't be arsed to get himself there on time, same as everybody else. Just as well he gets a sense of responsibility now.

If you make special arrangements for Lambert then the same arrangement would have to be afforded to Cookeif he failed to qualify, then if Cooke and Lambert can be shoe horned in, why not the Worrals or Lawson. How by any measure can you waive the rules for Lambert and nobody else ?

• Like 4

'Can't be arsed' is harsh.

It's on the interests of everyone that the field is as strong as possible, so there should be some kind of safety net for a break down, injury, engine trouble etc. Either that or seed the top half a dozen like they do in the U21's.

• Like 1

SPOKE to Kelvin this afternoon and he didn't know anything about Chapman stopping Bewley from riding.

He quite litetally said he had been stopped because he was to good! Just watched it again aswell to make sure i wasnt going mad

He quite litetally said he had been stopped because he was to good! Just watched it again aswell to make sure i wasnt going mad

I thought Nigel Pearson said he was barred because his averages were deemed too high..I thought Kelvin just sort of laughed..maybe I was wrong.

• Like 1

'Can't be arsed' is harsh.

It's on the interests of everyone that the field is as strong as possible, so there should be some kind of safety net for a break down, injury, engine trouble etc. Either that or seed the top half a dozen like they do in the U21's.

Once you start seeding at this level you take the competition element away. A large part of the excitement that gives a championship its value is the surprise of an expected also ran- Barker I this instance- riding out of his skin and surprising everyone, or even Kerr with his unexpected win and some of the supposed in form riders - Kennett, Nichols and Bomber of not riding to form.

• Like 2

Once you start seeding at this level you take the competition element away. A large part of the excitement that gives a championship its value is the surprise of an expected also ran- Barker I this instance- riding out of his skin and surprising everyone, or even Kerr with his unexpected win and some of the supposed in form riders - Kennett, Nichols and Bomber of not riding to form.

Yes, Kennett was a big disappointment - never even troubled the scorers

• Like 2

If its true about Dan Bewley , then the sport in this country as finally hit rock bottom

Excellent chance to give one of British speedways top prospects some big meeting experience

the BSPA should hang their heads in shame

I was next to Chapman in the queue for a pie after Heat 4 and asked him why Bewley wasn't riding and he said he didn't know. Which frankly made him look not very good at his job! So I don't know why he would use that as a lie about it.

Are you saying it wasnt a good meeting??? If so, I cant agree with you.

Ive already said it was a good meeting, what else do you want me to say..

It is a competition but it is also a business and you need the top riders to make the meeting viable. I would seed the top 8 in the averages and then have one semi final to get the other 8 finalists. Seems to work quite well for the Grand Prix. If you want to increase the competition element, then rather than using averages, seed the top 8 in this years final through to next year's final.

• Like 3

I was next to Chapman in the queue for a pie after Heat 4 and asked him why Bewley wasn't riding and he said he didn't know. Which frankly made him look not very good at his job! So I don't know why he would use that as a lie about it.

So if he was telling the truth, and I have no reason to doubt it, who the hell actually runs British Speedway?

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 1

It was Pearson in commentary who said of Bewley "He was deemed too good a rider to be track reserve tonight".

Tatum replied "Was he?" and laughed.

(Tatum also didn't know the rule about being excluded for a second starting offence after receiving a warning - Tatum rarely seems clued up).

So it's Pearson you need to speak to about stating that Bewley was blocked for being too good. Or speak to the BSPA, as it was someone from the BSPA who told me that Bewley had been blocked at the last minute for being "too good". Pearson's comments merely agreed with what I was told.

It was Pearson in commentary who said of Bewley "He was deemed too good a rider to be track reserve tonight".

Tatum replied "Was he?" and laughed.

(Tatum also didn't know the rule about being excluded for a second starting offence after receiving a warning - Tatum rarely seems clued up).

So it's Pearson you need to speak to about stating that Bewley was blocked for being too good. Or speak to the BSPA, as it was someone from the BSPA who told me that Bewley had been blocked at the last minute for being "too good". Pearson's comments merely agreed with what I was told.

I thought it was Pearson who said it and not Tatum...and to be fair ro Tatum I don't think he realised Howarth had already had a warning..I think he does know that rule..but he thought it was for the tapes offence and not a second starting offence..

• Like 3