British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

What has he done to be given one?

Well hecwon the British U21 chimps, which if you are giving slots to U21 riders would be the logical criteria. He's averaging a couple of points a meeting more than any other U21 rider, and that's from a hl position.

He was one meeting away from qualifying for this year's gp series. He finished on the podium of world U21 champs last year, and could reasonably be expected to do the same this year.

He is clearly the best British rider we have outside taI and cook, and is certainly the young brit most likely to emerge next as world class.

I could add more reasons if you like?

• Like 1

They will never " hang their heads in shame" because they believe with utter certainty that they are right. Even with the recent structural changes at the top of the BSPA it is the same scenario. "we are in power, ergo every action we take is correct". The previous Chairman is much lauded for his years of "guardianship of the sport" but those years saw a much faster decline and a further crumbling of the sport in the UK - in terms of crowd levels.

British speedway is dead in the water, and still the BSPA thinks it can do no wrong. When the sport's crumbling stadia are actually empty - an eventuality not too far distant - maybe the penny will drop. Has any other sport endured such incompetent governance in the last 30 years? Is any other British sport (grasstrack apart!) declining at a faster rate than speedway?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

So Cook confirmed as wild card for Cardiff with Ellis and Bates as reserve. Anyone know what Lambert has done not to be given one if they are being given to U21 riders?

Maybe because he has had the experience already and Ellis & Bates haven't? Plus perhaps the pairs the night before may come into it.

Maybe because he has had the experience already and Ellis & Bates haven't? Plus perhaps the pairs the night before may come into it.

Ridiculous that he isn't a reserve as he's the best young talent we have , but yes Newcastle will be pleased .

Why should he get one?

Didnt ride in the semi finals so why should he get a wildcard?

I know Ellis withdrew with injury but he was there at least.

Ellis and Bates won that pairs meeting the other week and i think this is their 'prize' so to speak and fully deserved

I think your making it up as you go along !

What have you got against Robert Lambert.anyway ?

Robert fully expected to compete in this years semi final ( unlike your favourite beau Woffinden ) but unfortunately broke down on the way, isn't the first rider to do that won't be the last, lets not keep beating him with that stick.

You might not like it but Lambert is only 19, medaled in the World u21 and our best chance of producing a World class rider of the future.

We should be giving him every opportunity available

• Like 2

I would have thought the most deserving riders were lambert (u21 champ) and stevie Worrall (bf runner up). Nothing against Ellis and Bates and hopefully they will get a ride apiece at some point.

But for someone to suggest they deserve it Base on winning a pairs meeting stretches it a bit. Especially if the argument against lambert is that he missed the semi final...

• Like 1

I would have thought the most deserving riders were lambert (u21 champ) and stevie Worrall (bf runner up). Nothing against Ellis and Bates and hopefully they will get a ride apiece at some point.

But for someone to suggest they deserve it Base on winning a pairs meeting stretches it a bit. Especially if the argument against lambert is that he missed the semi final...

To me missing the semi final is important.......why should someone who didnt ride in that be up for being considered. But thats opinion.

Wouldnt surprise me if the pairs the night before had a big influence. On form Lambert and Worrall are the choices..............but if both missed the pairs not good for Newcastle.

Maybe Lambert and Worrall would rather be at the pairs then the gp and not get a ride?

The Pairs is more important than being a GP reserve when they have both had that experience already. Better to give it to our next best two youngsters who haven't tasted being involved at Cardiff.

• Like 1

To me missing the semi final is important.......why should someone who didnt ride in that be up for being considered. But thats opinion.

Wouldnt surprise me if the pairs the night before had a big influence. On form Lambert and Worrall are the choices..............but if both missed the pairs not good for Newcastle.

Maybe Lambert and Worrall would rather be at the pairs then the gp and not get a ride?

But Ellis also missed the semi?

Pairs on Friday surely shouldn't matter, meeting reserves surely don't need to be there for practice?

Pairs on Friday surely shouldn't matter, meeting reserves surely don't need to be there for practice?

Ellis rode but fell in his first ride and pulled out.

I think its to do with the pairs on the Friday night as im pretty sure the gp reserves have to be there for practice

Ellis rode but fell in his first ride and pulled out.

I think its to do with the pairs on the Friday night as im pretty sure the gp reserves have to be there for practice

Fair enough. Still don't agree with the decision, but best of luck to the two young Brits in any case. And would be great if Cook could make the semis
  • Like 1

GP practice is not compulsory. Good opportunity for the pair of them - however, given Rosco's world cup squad I wonder if Harris has shared with Ellis the compromising photos he has of Rosco as he also seems to be in favour. :P