British Speedway Forum
Barrow Boy 2

Leicester V Rye House 29.05.17

It's seems clear Alan Jones is Not up to the job and the Leicester promotion need to replace him and get somebody in capable of promoting the club better.

How about you Rob? Loads of time on your hands, a huge voice (Gob) and a tactful and diplomatic approach. I'm sure you've already made a significant contribution to Leicester's fortunes.........

• Like 2

How about you Rob? Loads of time on your hands, a huge voice (Gob) and a tactful and diplomatic approach. I'm sure you've already made a significant contribution to Leicester's fortunes.........

Far too busy to do it, Yes it is clear that I have made a significant contribution by keeping on about the track shape which has now been completed and has made a huge difference, just need more grip then it will be perfection for awesome racing in the best stadium for viewing the racing up close.

Maybe the club will find someone capable of getting Leicester speedway known to those who don't even know Leicester have a speedway team.

Edited by robert72

:rofl:

You would have to feel sorry for anyone connected to Leicester speedway if that was to happen.

If people think sacking alan Jones is a good idea, then it just shows how little they really know about the club. without alan and his wife linda there wouldn't be a speedway club to go watch - in the last few years they have kept the club afloat with all the time they give - you really dont have a clue 😂

:rofl:

You would have to feel sorry for anyone connected to Leicester speedway if that was to happen.

Really strevebrumbrum why would you be sorry about a rival team having the potential of getting someone with experience on board.

• Like 1

It shows just how little you know because promotion is not Alan Jones job.

Press Officer is his job he sends all the match reports to all local & national Radio & newspapers , we are then lucky it they even print the result or mention us on air.

But the club are up against it after David Hemsley wanted to charge local radio & newspaper reporters admission fee's to report from matches but the new promotion are working tirelessly to repair those bridges & held positive talks with a midlands radio station who are extremely keen to form a partnership with the club.

Alan Jones does 1 hell of alot of stuff for OUR club in the background & he was pivotal in ensuring you have a speedway club to moan about week in week out without him this club would be run by Mick Horton under the Leicester Bee's .

The promotion of the sport in the city falls on Dave Darcy & Neil Machin the clue is in the name Promotors .

It's seems clear Alan Jones is Not up to the job and the Leicester promotion need to replace him and get somebody in capable of promoting the club better.

• Like 1

To me it seems like basic "promotion".

Needs the media machine in force but basic promotion is lacking. Bank holiday Monday, kids off school, busy shopping centre... is it an issue to put a stand in the centre aisle with signs and a bike and be seen by 15,000-20,000 locals over a 3 day weekend?

This public resource is a great way to take the sport to a bigger and new audience. It's not cutting edge marketing but surely it's a vast improvement on relying solely on current patrons to attend and spread the word for you.

I agree that promoting speedway in Leicester could be better but can be an expensive thing.

After the last few years of turmoil it must have been difficult to drag people back after their disillusionment under the last regime.

It's about entertainment and people would come once only to find that the product wasn't very good,so they act with their feet and don't bother coming back.

What has changed, the track is much better after the alterations made but it's all about having a sucessful team that is winning and giving 100%

Knowing how Leicestershire sport is it's all about results and you can advertise all you like but as the saying goes 'you can't polish a turd '

I know we must be thankful to still have speedway in Leicester and hopefully this is a transition season but it's about bums on seats and to achieve this it's the product which has to be better

Shirl

Edited by Shirl
  • Like 1

I'm a Speedway supporter Leicester is not my team but I totally agree, I feel all speedway in this Country gets hardly any advertising or media coverage and what doesn't help is years ago many teams used to be near built up areas where residents would live within walking distance but now lots of those stadiums are housing estates and also some stadiums are in remote areas (unlike Leicester) so people don't even know they exist. Advertising can be expensive but every little helps I have stickers on my car windows and when I stay in hotels and do a Trip Advisor review I always put "the hotel is close to Motorway, Railway Station etc and Leicester (or other) Speedway etc" it is not much but I feel every little helps.

• Like 2

Your comments are like Marmite Robt72 but on this occasion I think your personal attack on Alan Jones is completely out of order
  • Like 1

Your comments are like Marmite Robt72 but on this occasion I think your personal attack on Alan Jones is completely out of order

Is he Not the PR/Media man at Leicester Speedway and the one who should be putting the sport in the face of people in Leicestershire ?

Big shopping center next door and nothing in there about a speedway meeting at 2pm on Bank holiday monday,Thousands would of visited there over the weekend and they wouldn't have a clue there was a sporting event next door, that to me is lack of a golden PR opportunity.

PR is public relations so he deals with complaints & issues from the BSPA , ACU & the public.

The issue is with the facebook & twitter is that this used to be run in house until this season when AP Media took over the website & social media. So now it can take upto 12 hours for things to go live on the website or social media platforms because AP media run around 15 speedway websites along with many other sports websites.

Is he Not the PR/Media man at Leicester Speedway and the one who should be putting the sport in the face of people in Leicestershire ?

Big shopping center next door and nothing in there about a speedway meeting at 2pm on Bank holiday monday,Thousands would of visited there over the weekend and they wouldn't have a clue there was a sporting event next door, that to me is lack of a golden PR opportunity.

PR is public relations so he deals with complaints & issues from the BSPA , ACU & the public.

The issue is with the facebook & twitter is that this used to be run in house until this season when AP Media took over the website & social media. So now it can take upto 12 hours for things to go live on the website or social media platforms because AP media run around 15 speedway websites along with many other sports websites.

This is incorrect.

I was approached by the club during the winter to build them a new website - which I did.

I don't personally write anything for the website - apart from the odd postponement notice. A few people now have access to update the Lions website and as soon as it is emailed to one of us the website is updated. Usually within a few minutes - certainly not 12 hours as you've stated. Also results and scorers from home and away matches are posted to the website within 15 minutes of the meeting finishing. Full match report and reaction will follow later.

Social Media (Twitter and Facebook) are handled much the same. They both take an automated RSS news feed off the website, but are also updated manually throughout the day with various news snippets. The service used for the automated RSS feed for Twitter and Facebook checks the news feed for new stories every 30 minutes 24/7. However, if it is something urgent like a postponement then that will be posted manually as soon as it it is physically possibly to do so.

Edited by AndyP

Really strevebrumbrum why would you be sorry about a rival team having the potential of getting someone with experience on board.

Depends which one of you has the experience. It's hard to know.

In that case Andy please accept my apology , this info was fed to me at the first meeting of the season when i asked about the lack of match updates via social media which has stopped.

This is incorrect.

I was approached by the club during the winter to build them a new website - which I did.

I don't personally write anything for the website - apart from the odd postponement notice. A few people now have access to update the Lions website and as soon as it is emailed to one of us the website is updated. Usually within a few minutes - certainly not 12 hours as you've stated. Also results and scorers from home and away matches are posted to the website within 15 minutes of the meeting finishing. Full match report and reaction will follow later.

Social Media (Twitter and Facebook) are handled much the same. They both take an automated RSS news feed off the website, but are also updated manually throughout the day with various news snippets. The service used for the automated RSS feed for Twitter and Facebook checks the news feed for new stories every 30 minutes 24/7. However, if it is something urgent like a postponement then that will be posted manually as soon as it it is physically possibly to do so.

• Like 1

I think what you have in mind is Marketing and Promotion, and as someone else has rightly pointed out, there are others responsible for that

I think what you have in mind is Marketing and Promotion and, as others have said, that's the remit of others at the club.