British Speedway Forum

A great Rider - but another one who never did it for me.

Never saw him as a great team player...in fact can't recall him attempting to team ride whenever I saw him but I'm sure someone will put me right but then I did witness at close hand one of the best exponents of the lost art in Hans Nielsen!

Edited by steve roberts

2011 Swindon Robins ...were stone bottom. Adams and Rosco had departed, Big Bald Ron was manager, Nicholls at number one, but the loyal fans kept coming back for more. Some embarassing defeats, lost half their home matches. Bloody awful season.

Edited by beefy keefy
  • Like 1

Sheffield's worst team in the BL was 1980, I can think of 2 defeats of 59 - 19 (Ipswich and Swindon - and that was a Swindon without Phil Crump as well!!!) and a 61 - 17 off the top of my head away from home! Ray Glover had taken over and promptly fell out with Doug Wyer and Craig Pendlebury, although Doug ended up staying on for that year. We had injuries to just about everyone, some of his signings were a disaster - even Shawn Moran failed to score on his debut and we thought "What the hell have we got here", but happily we all ended up being proved wrong pretty quickly!

The worst in the lower league era was 1994, we even ended up getting hammered at home to Middlesbrough who were at that time marginally worse than us!

• Haha 1

Gonna sound harsh, but the Scunthorpe Stags team of 2014 was the worst I saw, I know it was built with 3.00ers to develop them, but they were still the worst...

Steve Jones

Aaron Mogridge

Ryan MacDonald

Tyler Govier

Danno Verge

Reece Downes

Liam Sanderson

I think this was the starting 7 of many riders used that year, and I remember watching Reece Downes fly over the fence in the first meeting (I think) was a spectacular crash...

Does anyone have any information where Reece, Liam, Steve and Aaron are nowadays?

As I say, it's harsh putting these lot here, but they're the only team I can think of... Apart from all the Redcar teams ;)

Edit: Most disliked rider for me was Jordan Frampton, just because of what happened to Rene in 2011, fine, the incident MAY have been an accident, but he didn't do much in ways of stopping the bike before he ploughed Rene into the fence... And then to be smiling and waving to the crowd, who were not best pleased with him, on the way to the pits? :( I hate that... No respect for a fallen rider at all...

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

Gonna sound harsh, but the Scunthorpe Stags team of 2014 was the worst I saw, I know it was built with 3.00ers to develop them, but they were still the worst...

Steve Jones

Aaron Mogridge

Ryan MacDonald

Tyler Govier

Danno Verge

Reece Downes

Liam Sanderson

I think this was the starting 7 of many riders used that year, and I remember watching Reece Downes fly over the fence in the first meeting (I think) was a spectacular crash...

Does anyone have any information where Reece, Liam, Steve and Aaron are nowadays?

As I say, it's harsh putting these lot here, but they're the only team I can think of... Apart from all the Redcar teams ;)

Edit: Most disliked rider for me was Jordan Frampton, just because of what happened to Rene in 2011, fine, the incident MAY have been an accident, but he didn't do much in ways of stopping the bike before he ploughed Rene into the fence... And then to be smiling and waving to the crowd, who were not best pleased with him, on the way to the pits? :( I hate that... No respect for a fallen rider at all...

More disliked than Ben Powell ?

More disliked than Ben Powell ?

Was that the one who rode his bike at Kenni Larsen?

Was that the one who rode his bike at Kenni Larsen?

Yes. It even got a mention in a Sunday's Race Day Magazine!

was it 'adrenaline fueled' ;)

Edinburgh won the wooden sppon (unluckily) in 1984 but retained it (deservedly) in 1985 with the following team:

Brett Saunders

Bobby Beaton

Steve Finch

Dave Trownson

Phil Jeffrey

Billy Burton

Alan Mason

Some decent riders there but none of them were at their best that year. We did win away at Long Eaton with Burton and Mason both doing well, which they didn't often.

Steve Jones

Aaron Mogridge

Ryan MacDonald

Tyler Govier

Danno Verge

Reece Downes

Liam Sanderson

if i remember that team was built very late on,just before the start of the season, the pick of the riders had got rides elsewhere, so we picked riders from our amateur meets,, i am sure other promoters were complaining about the team as too weak

Ahhh, well that was before my time going to speedway, but Ben Powell still sounds like a dick

if i remember that team was built very late on,just before the start of the season, the pick of the riders had got rides elsewhere, so we picked riders from our amateur meets,, i am sure other promoters were complaining about the team as too weak

I know the management just chose people from the Scunthorpe scene, just saying, still one of the teams I've seen struggle the most, I think it was a good idea tbh, although the rider's confidence must have been shot, is that why so many riders were used over the season?

Edited by Dandelion

Ahhh, well that was before my time going to speedway, but Ben Powell still sounds like a dick

I know the management just chose people from the Scunthorpe scene, just saying, still one of the teams I've seen struggle the most, I think it was a good idea tbh, although the rider's confidence must have been shot, is that why so many riders were used over the season?

Hey - Dandelion - where's your kangaroo gone? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I liked that Avatar. :t:

If I may be so bold - I'm not keen on the new one. :nono: :nono: :nono:

• Like 1

The federation special diamonds didn't have the greatest results. But them boys were a great laugh. Best years of watching speedway.

Am I the only person who enjoyed watching the stags of 2014?. Seen them v cradley at monmore & watching them improve with every lap.

• Like 1

to be pedantic, Blixt rde only 4 meetings in 82 and Stenclund none. You missed our Kevin Smith. Tbf, there have been far worse sides than that one, which was really just an extra HL short of being a decent side.

As I said the worst team that you followed and this was it even 2009 wasn't as bad!

I knew I missed one and should of known better as Kevin was such a nice man as I pestered him relentlessly for autographs when he beat the track record in 1985, sorry Kevin. I used the Poole website for Blixt & Stenlund as I said I was 13 at the time.

Edited by Packerman