British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayPortal

Isle Of Wight "wightlink" Warriors Vs Plymouth Devils : Nt : 01/06/2017

Must admit I got the impression from here that the iow usually run a meeting quickly and professional, I must have been unlucky tonight. Shame it was my wife's first meeting its took me years to get her to go to one, it might be years before it happens again. The other thing that get her was the delay to heat 15 with naming the nominated riders but to be honest most tracks seem to have that delay as well. Again iow fans and promotion sorry for the moan but I can only comment on what happened, I don't normally do moaning

Well wessex I went cause I had booked ferry and was already there mate, made a day of it and it rained from dinner onwards.

Tonight was the worst run meeting on the island since last season's relaunch. Having a 30 min interval at 8.25 was madness considering there is a curfew in place. I had to ask the taxis to wait so we could watch the last 3 races. Let's hope that tonight was a one off.

Sincere apologies to all those spectators and supporters who thought the meeting took too long to run last night. Yes there were incidents which caused us delays and of course the accident which Benji Compton had, proved to be more serious than at first thought creating a delay at the wrong time. Yes, Barry Bishop wasn't there which meant his normal duties had to be shared around the rest of the staff and whilst I personally monitor the time, it was one aspect that got away from me last night. We do pride ourselves on running slick meetings and sometimes without trying they are done and dusted in less than 90 minutes even with an interval, mascot rides and the Mini Warrior cycle rides so again apologies for any disappointment. Martin Widman CoPromoter.

• Like 8

Ridiculous comment to make. Meetings are abandoned by the referee, not the home promotion. No promotion wants a mid-meeting abandonment, they are inconvenient for all and very expensive.

Whoosh!!! Lost your sense of humour. A couple of heathens having a bit of a joke

Fair play to you Martin for having the decency to come on here and explain the situation. It just gets a bit stressful for us fans trying to get back to the mainland.

• Like 2

Agreed, thanks for replying Martin I'm sure you can appreciate fans who only attend when on holiday are going to get the impression that's how it usually is. I've shown my wife your reply so hopefully il get her to another meeting especially if we holiday on the island again

• Like 1

Just got back from this meeting and hate to moan because I thought the iow promotion were one of the best ones but 2 and half hours to run a meetings not good. My wife's first ever meeting and she kept saying whys there so much messing about. Why don't they get on with the next race quicker. She accepted there were a few falls early on and a couple of tape infringements but an hour and half to run 12 races then have a break of half hour just resulted in her saying I'm getting bored now even though I've enjoyed the racing. After 2 hours heat 13 got under way and the inevitable happened, a nasty fall for Benji Compton resulting in an understandable delay. All the best to Benji. Decent racing and a cracking heat 13 rerun and heat 15 but my wife said at the end the old speedway chestnut. "Anyone coming for there first meeting tonight wouldn't come back because of the messing around and not getting on with it". I think I heard it said Barry Bishop wasn't there which might have stretched the staff a bit, everyone seemed genuine in putting on a good meeting but it just went on a bit. Sorry to moan iow but getting the truth from a first timer I feel is important. On the plus side though good track, smart stadium, enthusiastic staff and fans and a decent turn out with plenty of kids and youngsters. Maybe the meeting dragging on was a one off, sorry to sound negative, honest

Hi There,

You are absolutely right that I was not there on Thursday and it breaks my heart to miss meetings but unfortunately my business life takes me away on race night.

Normally we do run an extremely slick operation, namely the fact that we are also travelling too and from the island and we want the speedway meeting to be part of an overall show that lasts between 1.30 and 2.00 hours. Thats the weekly target and from what you have said, this is the first time I believe we have been outside of those parameters. We have them by the way because we feel less than an 1.30 is too short and over 2 hours is too long. Normally our interval are slick with the kids bike race and mascots on track along with the 50/50 raffle and rider autographs. For us it's about the experience.

Next time you visit, bring your wife again and I will take you both for a bit of a behind the scenes look at what we do, which I hope you will both enjoy. I always have a blue and yellow shirt on so you cannot miss me.

All the best and thanks for you feedback - feedback positive and contructive is always welcome with the Warriors.

Take your wife again, she will love it.

All the best

Barry

• Like 7

Not sure when we will back to the island but will definitely return and I will definitely get in touch, it's obvious from everyone's comments that the 2 and half hours was a one off and it's great to have had responses from the club. It's not hard for clubs to reply these days and it's a shame that so few do. My slight disappointment of the meeting taking so long has long disappeared and I look forward to returning one day. My wife's also really impressed with the responses back from the club. Well done the iow you deserve success and big crowds, great attitude towards fans and great that you listen

• Like 3

Not sure when we will back to the island but will definitely return and I will definitely get in touch, it's obvious from everyone's comments that the 2 and half hours was a one off and it's great to have had responses from the club. It's not hard for clubs to reply these days and it's a shame that so few do. My slight disappointment of the meeting taking so long has long disappeared and I look forward to returning one day. My wife's also really impressed with the responses back from the club. Well done the iow you deserve success and big crowds, great attitude towards fans and great that you listen

I think your response here and your reaction to Barry's comments says it all.

Your first comment was critical (but fairly so) and you were obviously unimpressed.

Barry & Martin take about 5 minutes each to come on, explain how things are, apologise and state that they hope you come back and your view has almost turned full circle.

It just shows how a tiny piece of customer care can make a huge difference and is one of the reasons why I have been banging on about Isle of Wight for a year or so. Its also in stark contrast to some of the feedback I (and many others) have got from promotions across the country. That's ranged from indifference to abuse and the same people then have the gall to complain about falling gates.

My experience was almost exactly the same. A dusty track deserving criticism and an almost immediate reply with an apology and a remedy.

I have been back 5 times since and I have told Barry (probably several times) that it was he and Martin taking a very small amount of time to respond that was a major factor in that.

• Like 4