British Speedway Forum

Sad to report the death of ex-BSPA statistician and former Speedway Star stats guru Bryan Seery.

He passed away suddenly at his Kent home on May 24, aged 81.

A full obit and tribute will appear in our next issue of Classic Speedway magazine.

• Like 1

Seery's Statistics. The teenage speedway supporter's bible!

• Like 9

RIP Bryan Seery, the compiler of the page of the Speedway Star that I always used to read first!

All the best

Rob

• Like 5

R.I.P. + Bryan Seery.

A wonderful source of information in his days as Statistician on Speedway Star.

They were the 'go to' Statistics for, it seemed to me, all Speedway Supporters of that era. He certainly gave me a lot of pleasure.

As Lucifer Sam says, the first page to look at was the 'Stats' to see how our Riders, and others, were getting on.

I don't know if he was ever wrong, but when I followed such things closely, I never spotted anything amiss.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Very sad to hear the news. Like others have said already it was always my first port of call as a kid when I opened my Speedway Star.

That's what got me into stats and I've dabbled a bit over the years.

RIP Bryan.

Sad to hear of his passing. I never was fortunate to meet Bryan but in many ways felt I did through his column which wasn't just bare statistics.

It was the statistical side that really got me hooked on the sport so 'Seery's Statistics' was an essential read for me. In days when stats are so easy to find and results equally accessible you have to bear in mind the effort that must have gone into gathering information, let alone collating it.

Having attempted to maintain just the statistics and Green Sheets for just one league once, I have an idea of the effort that Bryan had to go to and thank him for all of that hard work.

I just regret that I was never able to thank him in person.

• Like 2

Bryan Seery: the undisputed Speedway Stat King. RIP....

• Like 1

Bryan Seery: the undisputed Speedway Stat King. RIP....

81 good age..

Bryan Seery was one of the most influencial figures in speedway to the real fans - giving us what we wanted. Before the days of computers it has to be said.

RIP Bryan and thank you.

• Like 1

Like others have said used to go straight to Seerys Statistics in the SS every week. Great source of info and hoping to see your favourite rider had moved up the averages ladder.

RIP Bryan.

• Like 1

A sad day indeed.

Though I never met him, unfortunately, this wonderful guy's statistics page in the Star entranced me as an 8 year old.

It wasn't just the figures, it was the well-written statistics-based stories that accompanied them.

A season or so later, Bryan contributed an always- worth-reading page in the Long Eaton programme (and many other programmes for that matter).

Even back then, I used to wonder how the guy kept up to date with all the figures and as the year's went by, I still wondered how Bryan did it!

One oft forgotten thing is that Bryan - through his columns - was certainly not averse to highlighting some of the ridiculous goings-on within speedway. Of course, that was when speedway was considered 'sane' sport, so what Bryan would have made of the last 20 years of farces, is anyone's guess!

And, I can still remember his written chunterings when a match included his biggest gripe - the dead heat - which meant his stats had to carry those cursed half-points for the remainder of the season.

For me, and I guess many others, he was a genuine icon and legend within speedway and he will certainly live on in this household via those wonderful stats and stories in the Star and Long Eaton programme pages.

RIP Bryan.

A real top bloke.

• Like 4

I have to agree with what others have written before. Seery's Statistics was probably the most influential part of my (Speedway) youth, waiting for Speedway Star to be delivered and then flipping through the pages to read the latest 'Stats'.

A true legend of the sport.........thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.

Thank you Bryan.

• Like 1