British Speedway Forum
LondonSpeedwayFan71

Presenters And Announcers

Where have all the Characters Gone?

I'm new to this site, firstly thank you for having me, Im compelled to ask the question in my title. Having been a Speedway fan (mostly of London and home county teams) for many many years, I've got to say, whats happened to the presentation of meetings outside of the racing?

I know times have changed and the old school announcer probably wouldn't 'kick it' in today's standards, but what are your thoughts on today's announcers? I presume they are part time DJ's of some sorts? I have been to a couple of Conference league clubs ?national League sorry!! and the one south of the river seemed very quite, no real razamataz at all! no interaction and very passive during heats . Am I being a little grumpy or am I missing something?

I must admit I do like to hear a challenging interview something a little bit more than, how are you feeling today, I also like the excitement that an announcer can bring to the meeting

Where have all the Presenters Gone!!

(I don't mean to offend by this message)

Never mind Characters among the Promotion Staff.

Where have all the characters gone amongst the Riders?

• Like 6

Where have all the Characters Gone?

I'm new to this site, firstly thank you for having me, Im compelled to ask the question in my title. Having been a Speedway fan (mostly of London and home county teams) for many many years, I've got to say, whats happened to the presentation of meetings outside of the racing?

I know times have changed and the old school announcer probably wouldn't 'kick it' in today's standards, but what are your thoughts on today's announcers? I presume they are part time DJ's of some sorts? I have been to a couple of Conference league clubs ?national League sorry!! and the one south of the river seemed very quite, no real razamataz at all! no interaction and very passive during heats . Am I being a little grumpy or am I missing something?

I must admit I do like to hear a challenging interview something a little bit more than, how are you feeling today, I also like the excitement that an announcer can bring to the meeting

Where have all the Presenters Gone!!

(I don't mean to offend by this message)

I believe the authorities have banned many of the things you, I and many others,called characterful. I recall Mike Bennett saying from the centre green at

Lynn that he couldn't say certain stuff or he would be fined.

What's left are now bland, featureless presenters, which I hasten to add isn't always their fault.

I agree with TWK about the lack of characters amongst riders but that is probably also down to the fact they are not "allowed" to do stuff anymore.

Will they never learn. A bit of centre green banter or mock handbags is entertaining, engages the fans and speedway really needs to add some of that nowadays.

• Like 4

Never mind Characters among the Promotion Staff.

Where have all the characters gone amongst the Riders?

Danny Ayres....

It's the same in other sports I follow. The PC brigade and health and safety crew have killed fun in this country.

Always found it funny at motorsports events that a grass bank can be closed off incase someone falls over. When 10 yards away people are racing round on bikes or in cars.

Never forget last year's world cup where the security in the temporary stands had to wear hard hats. But the 1000 or so fans sat there didn't.

• Like 4

The problem started when the SCB started licensing presenters and announcers. Up until then the promoter carried the can for any indiscretions but afterwards the presenter could be personally liable for his or her comments. I was once threatened with a £1,000 fine for what was just an innocent attempt to amuse the crowd but the referee took the wrong way.

Thinking that one word out of place can cost you that much money, especially when you're probably doing the job as a favour for nothing or next to nothing would be enough to make anyone play very safe.

It's a lot of money to pay out just because someone in authority doesn't share your sense of humour.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 5

The problem started when the SCB started licensing presenters and announcers. Up until then the promoter carried the can for any indiscretions but afterwards the presenter could be personally liable for his or her comments. I was once threatened with a £1,000 fine for what was just an innocent attempt to amuse the crowd but the referee took the wrong way.

Thinking that one word out of place can cost you that much money, especially when you're probably doing the job as a favour for nothing or next to nothing would be enough to make anyone play very safe.

It's a lot of money to pay out just because someone in authority doesn't share your sense of humour.

Crikey!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

You are right Rob. It is a hell of a lot of money.

Who gets the £1,000 by the way?

the BSPA ??? ;)

Yeah!! You are probably right. :rolleyes:

That is one way of curbing criticism. :rolleyes::angry: :angry:

Crikey!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

You are right Rob. It is a hell of a lot of money.

Who gets the £1,000 by the way?

It was a while ago and things may have changed. I think the SCB fines go the the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund. It came under 'improper comment', which even forbade announcers from showing any bias towards the home team.

Whether it is still that high or is at a more sensible level, as you can imagine it was a great inhibitor. I hope things have improved.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 1

[quote name="Star Lady" post="2967802" s

What's left are now bland, featureless presenters, which I hasten to add isn't always their fault..

Anyone who has heard the likes of Kevin Long, Dave Hoggart or Rob Godfrey will tell you that's not true.

• Like 2

Porkie does a great job at Wolves

At Peter Karlsson's farewell his (poor) Rolf Harris impersonation when an Australian rider was preparing to race was especially tasteful.

• Like 1

The problem in some places is not the ability of the CGP but the quality of the mic and the lack of voice projection from the riders being interviewed by him or her. For example on Weds night at King's Lynn the Questions asked were Loud and Clear in the stand but NOT ONE of the riders replies were audible at all. So a rather pointless effort to communicate and entertain the fans during the obligatory 20 min, Sun Break. A re think here is needed or a better mike or better technique training if the boredom factor is to be pushed away.

Used to like John Earrey (Ipswich & White City) and Dave Hammond (Oxford). Was never a great fan of those 'shouty shouty' types!

Used to like John Earrey (Ipswich & White City) and Dave Hammond (Oxford). Was never a great fan of those 'shouty shouty' types!

Always thought Richard(can`t for the life of me remember his surname) did an excellent job at Oxford.

Edited by racers and royals