British Speedway Forum
LondonSpeedwayFan71

Presenters And Announcers

Used to like John Earrey (Ipswich & White City) and Dave Hammond (Oxford). Was never a great fan of those 'shouty shouty' types!

so long as we know, as john used to say! Edited by cityrebel
  • Like 1

Always thought Richard(can`t for the life of me remember his surname) did an excellent job at Oxford.

...Palmer. Used to work with his Uncle.

I was never a great fan of him...never knew when to shut up!

Edited by steve roberts

Peter York was my favourite.....if only for the fact that those lot at the other end of the M69 had to suffer his inane ramblings every week.

• Like 3

forgive me if I am wrong, but the late Bryn Williams used to do several tracks? I used to enjoy Bryn in the 90's and would see him at Lakeside sometimes, but I think he was in other roles

The problem in some places is not the ability of the CGP but the quality of the mic and the lack of voice projection from the riders being interviewed by him or her. For example on Weds night at King's Lynn the Questions asked were Loud and Clear in the stand but NOT ONE of the riders replies were audible at all. So a rather pointless effort to communicate and entertain the fans during the obligatory 20 min, Sun Break. A re think here is needed or a better mike or better technique training if the boredom factor is to be pushed away.

The way to overcome the problem is to get the radio mic levels right. They're best set high so the mic can be held at a normal position for the interviewee to speak into and compensate for his usually quieter level and for the presenter to keep it well away from him or herself when they're using it to avoid overwhelming the system.

An alternative is to have someone adjusting the sound levels during the interview, up for the interviewee and down for the interviewer. It seems that all too often it's just left as it is so you only hear the presenter thus making the whole thing a total waste of time. Like all things there is more to mic technique than people would realise.

At Rye House we had the added complication that the stadium's prehistoric pa amplifier's cut out would trigger the moment you went over basic speech level and the abundance of high voltage power lines over the stadium, leading into a nearby distribution centre caused massive interference on radio mics.

Sometimes it's not just a case of flicking the switch and away you go. If only........

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 1

In the 1950s, one of the most entertaining mike men was Johnnie O'Connor, who was 'the man in the box' at the California (in England) and Eastbourne tracks. And, besides his action the mike, Johnnie was also a junior speedway rider at both tracks.

He vanished from speedway at the end of the 1950s, then in the early 1960s when Spedeworth Motorsports started their long-term tenancy at Wimbledon Stadium he again worked as an announcer and also wrote the proramme notes for a time.

Having a rest between practice rides - from the left John Hyam, George Cole and Johnnie O'Connor at Eastbourne in 1956.

12187659_219360711736792_814691318448607
Edited by Guest

Just been to Stoke & their guy sounds like the late Dustin gee,only his jokes were older😁

(Chase me)

Edited by pete cc

Your right. My mistake but I'm sure he sounds like one of them.

Never mind Characters among the Promotion Staff.

Where have all the characters gone amongst the Riders?

Overzealous and unesacary rules and regulations don't allow for characters nowadays I'm afraid, even telling a ref to go to specsavers on the phone can get you fined.

Used to like that big Jock Michael Max at Worky.

He still does his stuff at Glasgow .

• Like 1

The problem started when the SCB started licensing presenters and announcers. Up until then the promoter carried the can for any indiscretions but afterwards the presenter could be personally liable for his or her comments. I was once threatened with a £1,000 fine for what was just an innocent attempt to amuse the crowd but the referee took the wrong way.

Thinking that one word out of place can cost you that much money, especially when you're probably doing the job as a favour for nothing or next to nothing would be enough to make anyone play very safe

Brings back sad memories of what happened to Chris Simpson.

The problem started when the SCB started licensing presenters and announcers. Up until then the promoter carried the can for any indiscretions but afterwards the presenter could be personally liable for his or her comments. I was once threatened with a £1,000 fine for what was just an innocent attempt to amuse the crowd but the referee took the wrong way.

Thinking that one word out of place can cost you that much money, especially when you're probably doing the job as a favour for nothing or next to nothing would be enough to make anyone play very safe.

Brings back sad memories of what happened to Chris Simpson.

An intriguing comment uk martin! What did happen to Chris Simpson - where, why and when please!

Please tell

An intriguing comment uk martin! What did happen to Chris Simpson - where, why and when please!