British Speedway Forum
LondonSpeedwayFan71

Presenters And Announcers

I am surprised that there is no mention of Don Cumming on this thread. He was "Mr Saturday night at Meadowbank". You didn't need the 2 minute warning with Don. If things were running late he would say "come on lads, let's get these battle wagons rolling". Great memories.

Yeah, Don was an outstanding announcer.....so professional and clear. He did Glasgow in White City days as well.

Personally, I find Porky at Wolverhampton extremely irritating and especially so when he keeps shouting away whilst a race is in progress. The PA system at Monmore is way too loud anyway so most of the time it is almost impossible to make out what he is saying - that's if you want to listen to him anyway!

The problem with many centre green presenters is that they seem to regard themselves as the stars of the show and don't know when to shut up.

Overall, I can't say I am a great fan of centre green presenters at all. A good announcer who is articulate and knowledgeable is all that is needed and those I can remember from the past include Dave Richards at Cradley, Allen Walker at Coventry, Frank Bellfield at Birmingham, Ted Sear at Rayleigh etc.

Yes I know what you mean about they think “they are the Stars of the show” the worst for this was Chris Bart Simpson, at Brum he was dreadful, thank goodness he was sacked real pain,as is Porky at Wolves

Allen Walker, Ted Sear and John Earrey were the stand-outs for me

And I always thought Mike Holt did a good job at Blackbird Road

Edited by Midland Red

Personally, I find Porky at Wolverhampton extremely irritating and especially so when he keeps shouting away whilst a race is in progress. The PA system at Monmore is way too loud anyway so most of the time it is almost impossible to make out what he is saying - that's if you want to listen to him anyway!

The problem with many centre green presenters is that they seem to regard themselves as the stars of the show and don't know when to shut up.

Overall, I can't say I am a great fan of centre green presenters at all. A good announcer who is articulate and knowledgeable is all that is needed and those I can remember from the past include Dave Richards at Cradley, Allen Walker at Coventry, Frank Bellfield at Birmingham, Ted Sear at Rayleigh etc.

I think he's OK but I completely agree - attempting to make comment or commentate while a race is on is most annoying. Its also widespread.

I think that's one of the principle reasons why Kevin Long was so good. You always felt he was part of the show, not the star of it.

I think he's OK but I completely agree - attempting to make comment or commentate while a race is on is most annoying. Its also widespread.

Peter York used to be really annoying doing this at Coventry but I think the management stopped him eventually thank goodness. Who is the announcer at Peterborough? I like him, also David Hammond at Brandon.

.............Starman2006..................Nigel Leahi at poole best presenter in all the leagues. and his skills dont stop there. He also organises all our REF fuctions for the winter. Thats what you get if you give somebody a chance.

I'm just amazed that you have been to every single track to be able to state that. :o

Edited by Gemini

At Hull, Craven Park the late Dougie Adams did the announcing, joke telling and speedway history informing, followed by 'everyones favourite' Nigel Pearson, than a local DJ guy, and few others filled in as needed....

At Hull, Craven Park the late Dougie Adams did the announcing, joke telling and speedway history informing, followed by 'everyones favourite' Nigel Pearson, than a local DJ guy, and few others filled in as needed....

I regularly listened to Doug's work at Ellesmere Port where he worked wonders in creating atmosphere with such meagre crowds. A true professional, informed and witty.

For quiet authority though Ted Sear was the best. For wit and mischief it had to be John Earrey.

Peter York used to be really annoying doing this at Coventry but I think the management stopped him eventually thank goodness. Who is the announcer at Peterborough? I like him, also David Hammond at Brandon.

I'm just amazed that you have been to every single track to be able to state that. :o

I think that the loud PA system (that is when they've found the volume dial) must have affected your ears :P

I think that the loud PA system (that is when they've found the volume dial) must have affected your ears :P

I just love everything about Peterborough and that includes the loud music and the announcer. Sorry. :D

I just love everything about Peterborough and that includes the loud music and the announcer. Sorry. :D

I think the only thing Grump99 likes is moaning and all power to him for it 👍

The IOW Facebook page is saying that their centre green Presenter Chris Popple is standing down because of a combination of poor health and logistics. That’s a shame - I quite liked his style - but I assume it will leave a vacancy for someone looking to get involved. Barry Bishop seems to be a reasonable guy so I’m sure he would be happy to receive an approach from anyone interested.

• Like 1

ke 

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

i think speaking when a race is in progress should not be allowed.

I just don't see the point of it anyway - Porky at Wolverhampton does it during every race but because of the excessively loud PA and the noise of the bikes, it is impossible to make out what he is shouting - and why should he think that people in the crowd can't see for themselves what is happening?

• Like 2

its sporting action and should be respected as such until its over - as BB says we can see whats going on. They should restrict themselves to interviews not commentary. Its mainly because they like the sound of their own voices.