British Speedway Forum
LondonSpeedwayFan71

Presenters And Announcers

Not a popular opinion, but I think Roy Clarke is alright. If the BSPA let him say half the things he said when he wasnt on the Mic, it would be a lot more amusing. I suppose with it being a family sport, you have to keep it kid friendly.

Just cannot understand him, all sounds jibberish, needs elocution lessons, or should that be electricution :D:D

Mind, Dick Barrie was the same, sounded like a foreign language, which I suppose it was. :D:D

Edited by balderdash&piffle
  • Like 1

Nij our presenter at Poole has learn't a hell of a lot sinse he took the mic, he now has to be one of the best presenters in the league.

Really? I would never have expected you to say that.

One wonders how many other presenters you've heard recently....

The most important thing is to have a good knowledgeable announcer.

No presenter on the centre green is better than a poor one who can do damage.

For many years at Hyde road we had Bernard Tennant and Ken Wrench who were both good announcers and there was no need for a centre green presenter.

Dick Barrie had a stint at Belle Vue... he was entertaining as long as you realised he was just trying to be witty and entertaining with no real malice intended.. unless you took him literally in which case you might have been annoyed with some of his comments

The most important thing is to have a good knowledgeable announcer.

No presenter on the centre green is better than a poor one who can do damage.

For many years at Hyde road we had Bernard Tennant and Ken Wrench who were both good announcers and there was no need for a centre green presenter.

Dick Barrie had a stint at Belle Vue... he was entertaining as long as you realised he was just trying to be witty and entertaining with no real malice intended.. unless you took him literally in which case you might have been annoyed with some of his comments

TRYING, is the important word there

• Like 1

TRYING, is the important word there

Very trying....

• Like 1

Stop taking it all so seriously. All presenters are much the same. They are only trying to wind up visiting fans. Peter Waite used to get pelters up at Edinburgh, he would just laugh it off.

All presenters are much the same. They are only trying to wind up visiting fans.

No not all.

I remember Martin Rogers at Kings Lynn. He once announced that the "referee is an idiot"

A recent character who was a team manager: Norrie Allan. He was fined several times for speaking his mind when at Leicester

Edited by Fanmale
  • Like 1

I remember Martin Rogers at Kings Lynn. He once announced that the "referee is an idiot"

A recent character who was a team manager: Norrie Allan. He was fined several times for speaking his mind when at Leicester

So I suppose that you can draw from this, that honesty is NOT the best policy.

So I suppose that you can draw from this, that honesty is NOT the best policy.

Seems to be the case given the amount of flak Penhall got for being honest about doing countrymen a favour compared to the many other riders who have done so.

Seems to be the case given the amount of flak Penhall got for being honest about doing countrymen a favour compared to the many other riders who have done so.

...could have been more discrete and just faked an engine failure.

• Like 1

...could have been more discrete and just faked an engine failure.

Exactly. Close throttle, pull over, look down at engine then watch the other 3 get on with it. But instead he did the other thing: big mistake, huge....

Exactly. Close throttle, pull over, look down at engine then watch the other 3 get on with it. But instead he did the other thing: big mistake, huge....

He misunderstood the British fans and paid the price. Back home throwing the race to get fellow Americans through would have been seen as patriotic and celebrated. Here we have a different attitude.

I was in the pits at Belle Vue once not far from Bruce and a certain ex-World Champion. The crowd was hostile, backing their own favourites rather than fawning over the Americans as at many other tracks. Penhall was clearly distressed. The ex-World Champion turned to his crew and observed "Interesting, he can't handle it".

I think the retirement was on his mind from that day at White City.

Yes discretion is important and if you are going to play to the crowd it's essential you understand them.

Rogers was shrewd enough to know that the increased gate receipts would more than cover any fines.

Allan's comments were in a different and far less tolerant era and while probably sincere were very unwise.

The days of promoters/managers making protests very publicly from the centre green to get the crowd going are gone.

There's a fine line between having a sober, disciplined sport and one where there's a bit of latitude to spice things up with a bit of controversy. That line is probably called 'malice'.

We've squeezed the fun out.

• Like 3