British Speedway Forum
LondonSpeedwayFan71

Presenters And Announcers

Barry Wallace was the Announcer at Sunderland 1971 to 1974 as well as his long and meritorious career Announcing at Newcastle.

Thinking about it - there can't be many around today who have served the Sport/Clubs as long as Barry.

Barry also provided the match reports and heat-by-heat results from Newcastle for Speedway Mail. Always looked forward to hearing his dulcet Geordie tones at the end of the phone (well before the advent of email or even fax) every Tuesday morning, as he was about to begin dictating the details. "Jaw Oorwin 3-3-3-3-12".

Edited by tmc
  • Like 3

Barry also provided the match reports and heat-by-heat results from Newcastle for Speedway Mail. Always looked forward to hearing his dulcet Geordie tones at the end of the phone (well before the advent of email or even fax) every Tuesday morning, as he was about to begin dictating the details. "Jaw Oorwin 3-3-3-3-12".

That's wor Barry. :t::approve:

With apologies to the Geordies out there for use of their lingo by a Makem. ;)

I always thought Micman was good at wherever he plied his trade and certainly have no complaints regarding his time at the Hallowed shale of Oxford

• Like 1

I always thought Micman was good at wherever he plied his trade and certainly have no complaints regarding his time at the Hallowed shale of Oxford

Thanks Triple H

As the above, when he was at Sheffield.

• Like 1

As the above, when he was at Sheffield.

Like his DVDs which I have a collection of...nice style without any screaming down the microphone or repetitive hog wash some commentators subject one to!

• Like 1

Like his DVDs which I have a collection of...nice style without any screaming down the microphone or repetitive hog wash some commentators subject one to!

Really appreciate that Steve. I was never a great commentator but tried to make the videos and DVDs interesting making the commentary "as live" even though it was dubbed on later.

The toughest time was trying to voice over the tragic race that ended Erik Gundersen's career in that first race crash at the WTC in Bradford. At the time, we didn't know if Erik was going to survive.

Trying to sound enthusiastic when loaded up with severe hay fever was often a challenge too!

• Like 1

Always liked Brendan Kearney (since disgraced) and Tony Coupland (his gravelly tone, I suspect, the product of a lifetime's smoking) at Cleveland Park, Middlesbrough. And, having grown up with speedway at The Shay, Doug Adams.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

And we think he talks Posh. ;)

• Like 1

I always thought Chris Simpson did a good job at Coventry and Birmingham especially with the music and trying to build atmosphere, the year that he did Cardiff was another very good production which created an amazing atmosphere.

The problem was on the microphone Chris always said what he thought and got himself into quite a bit of trouble with refs and promotors. The final straw was the playoffs final at Perry Barr which Poole won and Chris played Abba Money Money for their victory parade

I heard I'd been getting a few comments lol. Cheers for the compliment Flagrag. At the final I was actually banned so wasn't working that night, I think Rob Sensicall was on the mic and my brother was doing the music up in the box. Shame how it all ended as I'd put a lot into speedway both riding, assisting riders with sponsorship, doing the music for years, the BIKERfm Speedway Show (which was hugely popular but not BSPA approved) and then finally doing the centre green announcing. Seeing the inner workings of speedway was probably a mistake for me as I now haven't been to more than a handful of matches in the last 3 years. I think its best to remember my love for the sport in my younger years and when I was racing.

I met a lot of lovely people through speedway and a few scoundrels too, I wouldn't change a thing though and have some amazing memories to take forward with me. I always tried to ensure people were entertained from the minute they entered the stadium to the minute they left as there's a lot of time to fill with 15 mins of racing.

Hope everyone's enjoying the sport still, try not to take it too seriously, enjoy the racing and the friendships you make along the way.

• Like 6

At Peterborough during the Frost era we had the very professional Darren Fletcher as Presenter paired with our own Edwin Overland as Announcer - it does not get better than that and was in my opinion the best in over 40 years attendance.

• Like 1

I heard I'd been getting a few comments lol. Cheers for the compliment Flagrag. At the final I was actually banned so wasn't working that night, I think Rob Sensicall was on the mic and my brother was doing the music up in the box. Shame how it all ended as I'd put a lot into speedway both riding, assisting riders with sponsorship, doing the music for years, the BIKERfm Speedway Show (which was hugely popular but not BSPA approved) and then finally doing the centre green announcing. Seeing the inner workings of speedway was probably a mistake for me as I now haven't been to more than a handful of matches in the last 3 years. I think its best to remember my love for the sport in my younger years and when I was racing.

I met a lot of lovely people through speedway and a few scoundrels too, I wouldn't change a thing though and have some amazing memories to take forward with me. I always tried to ensure people were entertained from the minute they entered the stadium to the minute they left as there's a lot of time to fill with 15 mins of racing.

Hope everyone's enjoying the sport still, try not to take it too seriously, enjoy the racing and the friendships you make along the way.

Chris, it took me years to get over the scars of seeing the sport from the inside. Now I just pay my cash, take a seat in the corner and remember what it was like that magic day I first walked into Rayleigh Speedway nearly 50 years ago.

You're certainly not the only one with ability to have gone through this. It's not just fans who have walked away over the years.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 3

Chris, it took me years to get over the scars of seeing the sport from the inside. Now I just pay my cash, take a seat in the corner and remember what it was like that magic day I first walked into Rayleigh Speedway nearly 50 years ago.

You're certainly not the only one with ability to have gone through this. It's not just fans who have walked away over the years.

Two great Posts - Posts that the Powers that be should take careful note of - but - will they?

• Like 4

Got to give Roy Clarke a mention if you are looking for good current presenters. Great personality, does a great job at Newcastle, Redcar & Berwick at the moment. Very knowledgeable and holds no punches when commenting. Plus has good banter with the announcers in the box.

Edited by Sly Fox

Got to give Roy Clarke a mention if you are looking for good current presenters. Great personality, does a great job at Newcastle, Redcar & Berwick at the moment. Very knowledgeable and holds no punches when commenting. Plus has good banter with the announcers in the box.

He can come with a translator if required.

• Like 2