Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummie Boy

Whatever happened to Josef Petrikovics?

Can anyone shed some light on whatever became of Josef Petrikovics?

One of the most exciting speedway meetings I ever saw was the 1984 European Under 21 Championship Final at King's Lynn; apart from the Penhall World Final at Wembley that is. The '84 Under 21 Final was won by Marvyn Cox, but the rider that really impressed me that night was Petrikovics and I thought at the time he was a real star in the making. His riding style was very exciting, very fast and he wasn't afraid to take risks. He scored 10pts on the night and finished equal 5th.

Unfortunately, I drifted away from Speedway after the Brummies got kicked out of Perry Barr as I never really took to them returning to the National League or the new track at Bordesley Green. As I missed anything that happened in the speedway world between 1986 and 2000, due to working abroad, Josef Petrikovics may have been and gone before I became interested again.

Perhaps someone can tell me whether Petrikovics ever went on to make an impression outside his own country. I seem to recall that he was Polish, although I cannot be certain about this as I no longer have the meeting programme. Then again may be he failed to make any progress and the 1984 Final was simply a flash in the pan.

I would appreciate any info with respects to this guy as I've often wondered how he got on.

Joszef Petrikovics was a Hungarian.

The high point of his career was to qualify as reserve for the 1989 World Final, although he didn't get a ride.

He ranked just below Adorjan and Tihanyi in the Hungarian pecking order during the late 80's and early 90's.

King's Lynn did show some interest in signing him, but nothing materialised.

Unfortunately, that '84 U-21 Final is best remembered for the fatal accident to Leif Wahlmann.

Now where did i put my anorak??? :D

Edited by frigbo

Frigbo,

Thanks for the info and you certainly do know your stuff.

You're also spot on about the tragic side of that meeting. The crash was horrific, probably the worst I've ever seen. There were three riders involved in a first bend smash and it just seemed to be a complete mangle of men and machinery that ended up in a pile in the middle of the track. After the accident the hush that went around the stadium was eerie, it was as if everyone knew this was more than just the usual first bend pile up. It took ages to get Leif into the ambulance and I seem to recall that at the end of the meeting they announced that he had died on the way to the hospital.

I am afraid the racing in that Final was hair-raising and a serious accident was on the cards from the start. It was just a crying shame that it cost Wahlman his life as no prize is ever worth a rider's life.

Brummie Look at: http://www.sportowefakty.pl/?dysc_id=4&k1_...0&news_id=30741

Best Wishes

Przemyslaw Jany

Przemyslaw,

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, my Hungarian is not so good these days but I presumed the details were for the Hungarian Championship. Its a shame that Josef only won it in 1992 and it seems 1993 was his last appearance. Do you know what happened to him after this? I would imagine he's no longer riding as he would probably be around 40 years old by.

The night I saw him at the 84 U-21 final he appeared to be a rider with immense potential and I am sure if he had had the opportunity to ride in the British League he would have gone on to become a top rider. He certainly did not lack courage and was prepared to a risk.

Koszonom,

Stuart

Josef Petrikovics finished his career after 1994. He had huge problems with his

federation as he was to pay them some money he didn't. Since that time he never

appeared at the track again.

Przemyslaw - I thought I was the only Pole at Speedway-Forum.co.uk :)

Regards

Dominik (Sydney)

Edited by dex01