British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cliffeboy

Cycle Speedway Bit On Bbc News

As part of BBC news this morning 7.30

bought back some memories of my local team the Aston Aces

Good to hear but totally missed it

Anyone able to describe or even link to a copy?

Well done to whoever made it happen.

Just seen on I player, thanks, these new tracks are pretty aren't they? Wolverhampton and Poole tracks are well worth a visit,both situated in the most pleasant of locations.

First time I seen cycle speedway on TV, it was good publicity. It was because world team championship in Aussie I about a month and team GB are there. It was from Coventry, always had good tracks and good teams. Showed kids as young as 5 on track as well as seniors going at it proper. Showed a clip from last years Brit Championship (think it was) where the winner was decided on last bend of last race, 3 tangled on last bend, the 4th rider managed to get through the mess. All lasted about 4 minutes and covered the sport well. Well done to Coventry speedway and the British cycle speedway authorities for getting the TV air space. Question - are British motorcycle speedway doing enough to get effective coverage????

Perhaps with the upsurge in cycling generally there may well be an interest in the development of cycle speedway raising it to a new level? One never knows but one can hope!

Perhaps with the upsurge in cycling generally there may well be an interest in the development of cycle speedway raising it to a new level? One never knows but one can hope!

The happening you mention would be welcome steve roberts. The BSF has supported a thread about cycle speedway for many years, sadly with very little response. The thread is in Grasstrack, Sidecar, Short Track and Cycle Speedway and further carried under this LINK

Cycle Speedway Activity

Edited by Guest

On the BBC article, they said Cycle speedway was the fastest growing form of cycle racing.

• Like 1

I used to watch cycle speedway as a kid at South London rangers. The track, a stone's throw away from Wimbledon stadium is still intact. A few famous speedway riders cut their teeth at this once famous venue.

I used to watch cycle speedway as a kid at South London rangers. The track, a stone's throw away from Wimbledon stadium is still intact. A few famous speedway riders cut their teeth at this once famous venue.

At least 3 of my family rode for them and i also had a "novice" race there myself.But i thought the track is in pretty bad condition.They do have a fairly decent group on Facebook with some great old pics and some meet ups

We used to have a cycle speedway team on our council estate in Swindon late 60s early 70s. Carshalton Crusaders, our badge was Canterbury Crusaders.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the link Poppetman (Martyn?) A great feature and they seemed genuine in their enthusiasm to promote the sport.

They pretty much covered all the bases in the time too. Well done The Beeb and Coventry CSC.

I saw two meets at Crawley Tigers in 1981 when they raced in the London League. The track was in cherry Lane, Langley Green. I don't believe the track exists anymore.