Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Teams Of World Finalists

Okay, here's one for my fellow anoraks - at least the older ones...

I had a weird thought the other day when I saw a pic of the Swindon team from 1962, The team was Tadeusz Teodorowicz, Ian Williams, Arne Carlsson, Mike Broadbank, Martin Ashby, Brian Brett, and Neil Street. It hit me that Streety was the only one who never qualified for an Individual World Final (and I know Teo was a non-riding reserve).

Of course, there was quite a span between the finals, and not all six had previously appeared in a final (Brett and Ashby were still to appear in a final. So, I did some quick research, and found these :

Wimbledon 1959

Ronnie Moore, Cyril Brine, Ron How, Gerry Jackson, Peter Moore, Bob Andrews, Cyril Maidment.

Six of the seven rode in World Finals, with Jacko being the odd one out,

Wembley 1952

Tommy Price, George Wilks, Bob Oakley, Eric Williams, Freddie Williams, Jimmy Gooch, Trevor Redmond, Bill Kitchen.

An impressive seven out of eight, with only Wilks missing out.

So, do we know if a team has ever taken to the track with a complete line-up of riders who - at some point in their careers - appeared in a World Final (either before or after)? I'm not just talking about members of a team who rode in the same season, but actually appeared in the same official fixture?

Steve

• Like 1

The 1983 Cradley team comes close.

Erik Gundersen, Simon Wigg, Lance King, Phil Collins, Jan O Pedersen and Alan Grahame all raced in at least one World Final. The 7th regular member of the team, Peter Ravn, was reserve for the 1983 Final but didn't race.

Their number 8 that season, who made several appearances in the team, was Simon Cross who also raced in a World Final.

I'm not sure if there was any meeting where Cross replaced Ravn.

Ipswich 1998 wasn't bad with Tomasz Gollob, Tony Rickardsson, Chris Louis, Scott Nicholls, Toni Svab (2 Grand Prix) and the great Savalas Clouting.

The mighty Belle Vue Aces of 1934 also come close.

Frank Varey, Max Grosskreutz, Bob Harrison, Eric Langdon, Joe Abbott, Bill Kitchen & Frank Charles made up the League winning side.

1936 World Final: Langdon, Charles & Harrison rode

1937 World Final: Varey, Abbott & Kitchen made their debuts

Only Max Grosskreutz failed to ride in a World Final even though he was a world class performer. Probably due to the fact that he retired in 1937 to become Promoter at 2nd Div Norwich!

The 1983 Cradley team comes close.

Erik Gundersen, Simon Wigg, Lance King, Phil Collins, Jan O Pedersen and Alan Grahame all raced in at least one World Final. The 7th regular member of the team, Peter Ravn, was reserve for the 1983 Final but didn't race.

Their number 8 that season, who made several appearances in the team, was Simon Cross who also raced in a World Final.

Maybe early season before ravn moved from bell vue? I know andy reid started at reserve but maybe cross rode some meetings between Reid and ravn?

Thanks for the input guys! I did wonder about Cradley 1983, and obviously, they seem the closest - so far - with six World Finalists and a non-riding reserve. Unfortunately, the info for that season isn't available on Speedway Researcher, and the Cradley website only lists lineups for the cup matches. Peter Ravn and Simon Cross appeared together several times (in Cup action), but I don't know if Simon took his place in any meetings.

Seems like there are several teams who are missing just one, but with some more research, maybe we can dig up a complete team of finalists!

Steve

Oxford 1989 not far off. Nielsen, Wigg, Cox, Dugard and Butler all made the World Final, while Andy Grahame was a non-riding reserve in 1982. Odd man out was Paul Dugard.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Yes, Simon Cross rode in 14 meetings for The Heathens that year.

Ravn replaced Dave Cheshire in the line-up. King was injured for a month or two, and Cross came in. But it's possible there were a meeting somewhere Cross replaced Ravn, and Heathens his six fully-fledged World Finalists, plus a riding reserve in Alan Grahame (1984).

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

It's not a case of whether Simon Cross rode that year - we know he did - but if he replaced Peter Ravn on any specific occasion. That could certainly have given them a team (on the night) full of World Finalists.

Steve

Amazingly the Birmingham side of 82featured 7 riders who rode in world finals plus andy Grahame who was a reserve. Almost certain though that all 7 did not all ride together in any meeting.

Nielsen Jorgensen evitts thorp kudrna maier and dryml plus grahame

The 83 side had 6 plus Grahame, with ondrasik the addition and kudrna and dryml no longer there.

• Like 1

The New Cross team of 1961 had 7 world finalists if we include Bengt Brannefors who was reserve in the 1966 final. In fact Brannefors was released by the Rangers early that season so I'm not sure that he qualifies.The others were: Waterman, Luckhurst, Davies, Gooch, McAuliffe and Eric Williams.

Edited by Split
  • Like 1

The New Cross team of 1961 had 7 world finalists if we include Bengt Brannefors who was reserve in the 1966 final. In fact Brannefors was released by the Rangers early that season so I'm not sure that he qualifies.The others were: Waterman, Luckhurst, Davies, Gooch, McAuliffe and Eric Williams.

Again, it's not a case of how many World Finalists appeared for them during the season, but whether they actually field a full team of World Finalists on a particular occasion.

UPDATE

Just checking through the matches, the six you mentioned appeared together on several occasions, but were joined by either Johnny Fitzpatrick or Bobby Croombs.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Interesting thread and it's not always the best teams that have a load of world finalists. Exeter 1979 is a good example - Autrey, Verner, Verner, Kudrna, Dryml and no8 Boocock all had at least one WF appearance. Koppe and Prinsloo were the exceptions. On the other hand, a top team like Reading 1990 were stacked - Jonsson, Doncaster, Wiltshire, Andersson, Olsson, Castagna all got through to the big night. Think that was also probably the only year where an eligible World Champion failed to qualify for the BLRC or ELRC or whatever it has been called. Jonsson was third in the Racers averages that year. Quirky stuff for all anoraks out there 😀

Another interesting one... Cradley 1982 had eight riders don the Heathens' bib who reached at least one WF. Penhall, Gundersen, King, Collins, Cross, Wigg, Verner, Grahame (res).

Edited by falcace

Thursday 19 May 1983 the British League match Wimbledon vs Cradley Heath had 11 former, current and future World finalists on show.

For Wimbledon: Dave Jessup, Kai Niemi, Malcolm Simmons and Kelvin Tatum.

For Cradley Heath: Simon Wigg, Peter Ravn, Erik Gundersen, Alan Grahame, Phil Collins, Jan O. Pedersen and Lance King.

The match score was Wimbledon 35, Cradley Heath 43

Wimbledon beat Cradley Heath at home later in the year.

Peter Ravn, also qualified for the 1987 2-day final in Amsterdam as reserve and rode in heat 15 scoring 1 point after Gerd Riss broke the tapes.

This make this 1983 particular Cradley Heath team being made-up of all former, current and future World finalists. Whether 11 riders in one meeting is a record I don't know.

The first time that these Cradley Heath riders rode together as team was on May 7 at home against Birmingham (League Cup) Cradley won 56-22. For the British League it's the Wimbledon fixture that I have mentioned above.

Steve, I think that this finally answers your question.

I did double check the Speedway Star for 1983 and Peter Ravn did ride in most of that seasons meetings for Cradley Heath sometimes alongside Simon Cross, so you can also add him to those teams of world finalists who rode in a meeting.

Edited by Robbie B