British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Kent V Birmingham Mon 12th June

Does anybody know if action was taken against Jack Smith after gestures made to the crowd last season?

Sadly i think the precedent has been set after soft punishments during the Coventry fracas a couple of seasons ago?

Very out of character for both Cupitt & Leek so both had clearly been fired up. However unless this behaviour is stamped out it will only continue to get worse especially when you consider the latter gestured directly at the referee.

Watched the YouTube video of cuppitt, what a wally

I see from the comments his family are also threatening the poster to remove it

Seems class must run in that family, he's lucky the back straight is usually empty

Edited by Wiseguy

Where is this video wouldn't mind seeing it myself

After last year's 14 heat fiasco this always had the capacity to be a bad tempered affair. Yet despite all that happened the Kent crowd still managed to give warm applause to Bacon and Davey.

I wouldn't disagree with any of the unsatisfactory starts - in each case the rider penalised was clearly moving. (So was Bacon in heat 15, but as it was 8.29 there was no time for a re-run). The trainee referee coped well with a tricky meeting, perhaps Stoneman was lucky to survive in heat 12 (- but all 4 was still a tenable decision).

I thought crowd should have been higher. Good to see Anders Rowe looking very solid.

And can I add that teaboy's updates were excellent - completely impartial when there were plenty of points at which a more partizan texter could have been tempted to tell a different story.

Arnie, can I just say a compliment like that from someone's whose opinion I respect, is very much appreciated. Thank You.

From all the comments on BSF, this looks like a match that was worth watching. After the excellent meeting we had with Kent on Friday, I'm not

surprised. Although I don't think the Kent team will make it to the Play-Offs, some of their riders are very much worth watching. Seems to me that

Birmingham are a bit over-rated this year, but hard to judge as they have not been able to track their own 7 for a while. But the have had some

good guests IMO.

With the threat of the curfew I can never really relax watching meetings at Kent. Last night's shenanigans did remind me a bit of the division 2 days of the 1970's, when a punch up and some controversy were never too far away!

I attended this meeting as a neutral. Would describe the speedway as 'Mickey Mouse'. From what I've seen of this development league (in its various guises) over the years, the racing was pretty much as I expected. As for Cupitt's antics: I once saw Andrew Silver do the same thing at Swindon, though having scaled the safety fence he actually reached the spectator who had offended him. Equally daft from Silver but (unlike Cupitt, on this evidence) at least he was a top quality rider, merely going through a bad patch.

Perhaps Cupitt is showing similar tendencies that we associate with his brother-in-law? I hope that official action will be taken against him. If this sort of thing happened in football the player would be facing a lengthy ban. I cannot say I am surprised - I had a mini fracas with Cupitt on Facebook about two years ago when one of his Posts came up on my News Feed which I answered and he rebuked me for doing that.

Seems class must run in that family, he's lucky the back straight is usually empty

This is how the Kent Kings match report saw the basis for the late match incidents:

Heat nine was an opportunity for the visitors to hit back but Carr again attempted to jump the start in contravention of the rules and for a second consecutive ride was having to start the rerun off a 15 metres handicap. Again, he fell at the back but this time failed to clear the track in time to avoid the race being stopped, to the frustration of a section of the main grandstand who incurred the wrath of Carr making gestures back to the supporters.

Carr’s double misfortune which now saw the home side in an utterly convincing 12 points lead and unseemly attitude to it, seemed to unsettle some of his less experienced team mates. Firstly, Cupitt did the sitting down in the track routine after a gentle fall when at the back, causing a race where his team mate Mitchell Davey was being soundly beaten by the homesters’ Hopwood to be stopped. For some reason Cupitt opted to adopt some histrionics when traipsing along the back straight to return to pits side; hurdling the fence, throwing his helmet and making as if to confront a Kent fan. The referee took punitive action and one wonders if further action will follow from the record of this unseemly incident in the official’s report. As intended, the Aussie Davey beat the hugely unlucky rerun in the unnecessary rerun.

Edited by Guest

​The Birmingham website report on the match at Kent Kings does not have any reference to the Layne Cupitt incident!

http://www.birminghambrummies.co/news.php?extend.2476

Where is this video wouldn't mind seeing it myself

I would very much like to have seen the original video/youtube. I cannot understand why it was taken down. Maybe blocked via a request to FACEBOOK but surely it can be viewed elsewhere? I doubt if there is a court order against it being shown.

This is how the Kent Kings match report saw the basis for the late match incidents:

As intended, the Aussie Davey beat the hugely unlucky rerun in the unnecessary rerun.

Not sure if i am misunderstanding this report,but that doesn't make sense to me....... :neutral:

• Like 2

Not sure if i am misunderstanding this report,but that doesn't make sense to me....... :neutral:

That's Ben Re-run to you!

Perhaps Cupitt is showing similar tendencies that we associate with his brother-in-law? I hope that official action will be taken against him. If this sort of thing happened in football the player would be facing a lengthy ban. I cannot say I am surprised - I had a mini fracas with Cupitt on Facebook about two years ago when one of his Posts came up on my News Feed which I answered and he rebuked me for doing that.

Blimey you must lie awake all night thinking about Tai Woffinden.Even in a NL match you just

have to have a dig.

• Like 1

Heat nine was an opportunity for the visitors to hit back but Carr again attempted to jump the start in contravention of the rules and for a second consecutive ride was having to start the rerun off a 15 metres handicap. Again, he fell at the back but this time failed to clear the track in time to avoid the race being stopped, to the frustration of a section of the main grandstand who incurred the wrath of Carr making gestures back to the supporters.

Carr’s double misfortune which now saw the home side in an utterly convincing 12 points lead and unseemly attitude to it, seemed to unsettle some of his less experienced team mates. Firstly, Cupitt did the sitting down in the track routine after a gentle fall when at the back, causing a race where his team mate Mitchell Davey was being soundly beaten by the homesters’ Hopwood to be stopped. For some reason Cupitt opted to adopt some histrionics when traipsing along the back straight to return to pits side; hurdling the fence, throwing his helmet and making as if to confront a Kent fan. The referee took punitive action and one wonders if further action will follow from the record of this unseemly incident in the official’s report. As intended, the Aussie Davey beat the hugely unlucky rerun in the unnecessary rerun.

Here is the full match report Kent Kings v Birmingham rather than just the section from the report that I quoted:

KENT KINGS PRESS RELEASE

http://www.kentkings...hp?extend.927.1

Blimey you must lie awake all night thinking about Tai Woffinden.Even in a NL match you just

have to have a dig.

You have me confused me with another Poster by the look of it chambo71. I rarely make any comment anywhere about TW. :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Guest

The Kent Kings forum match report editor has sent me this comment which, hopefully, clarifies the match comment. Hw writes:

A typo in the final sentence of the sixth paragraph, where I wrote,

"As intended, the Aussie Davey beat the hugely unlucky rerun in the unnecessary rerun."
It should have course (and hopefully obviously from the context..!),

"As intended, the Aussie Davey beat the hugely unlucky Hopwood in the unnecessary rerun."

As I now understand the matter, corrections will be made to the match report which originally appeared on the BSF as

KENT KINGS PRESS RELEASE

- but will probably be corrected during the day.
Edited by Guest