British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
secsy1

National League And The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Having An Experienced Older Rider

It should be remembered that in it's founding season (as BL3) the league included riders such as Kevin Teager, Glyn Taylor and Gary O'Hare. The mix of youngsters, veterans and riders with modest ability (who are vital to the functioning of the league) is much as it always was.

What has changed is the number of ex-EL promotions that are now operating at this level. They have different cost bases and different operating philosophies. Not to say they are wrong, but they need to be understood and accommodated without jeopardizing the viability of the likes of Buxton and Mildenhall.

Those on this thread who have made the comment that "Speedway is a business" are spot on. I am a great fan of the National League and am not at all concerned about the

age or experience of any of the riders. Providing they all ride as hard as they can, I am happy. The only adverse comment I would make is that there are a number of younger

riders in teams who are far from ready. But that is caused by the shortage of new talent. For some reason ( probably money !), although Neil Vatcher is doing a great job with

the Youth scene, it does not produce that many riders able to hold down a team place. As to the comment by Sidney The Robin, the rules have always been manipulated by

certain promoters from way back years ago. Those that remember the late Ian Thomas will know what I mean.

• Like 2

Those on this thread who have made the comment that "Speedway is a business" are spot on. I am a great fan of the National League and am not at all concerned about the

age or experience of any of the riders. Providing they all ride as hard as they can, I am happy. The only adverse comment I would make is that there are a number of younger

riders in teams who are far from ready. But that is caused by the shortage of new talent. For some reason ( probably money !), although Neil Vatcher is doing a great job with

the Youth scene, it does not produce that many riders able to hold down a team place. As to the comment by Sidney The Robin, the rules have always been manipulated by

certain promoters from way back years ago. Those that remember the late Ian Thomas will know what I mean.

Only takes a quick look at the old green sheets to see the number of riders who have stepped away either due to finances or mostly because they were included in teams way too soon and became disillusioned with the sport and have stepped away. Almost the whole starting 1-7 of the 2014 Scunthorpe side are no longer riding.

Its great developing new talent but pointless if they cannot be retained.

• Like 2

IMO far more clubs should enter teams in the Area Development Leagues and I am disappointed that Lakeside do not have a team in the new SDL. Our

reserves Connor Locke and Jamie Cousins would gain huge benefit from it. Probably down to money even though riders are not paid but I think that a bit

of real effort on the part of Jon and Kelvin would overcome whatever problems there are. Long term for the club can only be beneficial.

• Like 1