British Speedway Forum

The first word of a story in many magazines and newspapers is in capitals. It's a style thing. Probably the habit of a working lifetime.

EXACTLY ... or should that be exactly

Neither.Exactly, would be correct :P

Back on topic - Poland Denmark and Sweden have a junior development system way ahead of anything we had or probably likely to have partly due to our tracks being owned by other businesess.

The demise of the old second half racing that allowed for juniors and reserves to get more track time has,I feel also been a factor.

I regularly attend Rye House and their junior racing has seen 13/14 year olds lapping at times only a couple of seconds off Championship times of old so the talent is there but not in enough numbers.

I also think the dreadful system we have of hiring and firing riders from teams -especially the youngsters has exacerbated the decline.

Edited by GWC

Good job nobody here had a past life in illuminating manuscripts or the bandwidth would implode ;-)

The thing is GWC it is usually at this point someone points out the fact that Australia manage to regularly turn out 1 or 2 decent youngsters with a seemingly poor system with no junior leagues or many meetings

The thing is GWC it is usually at this point someone points out the fact that Australia manage to regularly turn out 1 or 2 decent youngsters with a seemingly poor system with no junior leagues or many meetings

Agreed but Tai Woffinden gained his experience doing a million laps on the local track his father helped to build.

Likewise the Aussies had a very well run junior development system. Not sure this still applies hence the decline in their next generation.

I think tougher immigration requirement has also contributed to this.

• Like 1

I do agree,that it is access to Europe,essentially the UK that is neccesary to their continued development.But it is then strange that British youngsters access to the same doesn't seem to help them to the same degree.Is the main problem at the early stage then or a mental problem?

I do agree,that it is access to Europe,essentially the UK that is neccesary to their continued development.But it is then strange that British youngsters access to the same doesn't seem to help them to the same degree.Is the main problem at the early stage then or a mental problem?

British youngsters have so many things to choose from these days - they don't have the same dedication as someone who has left their native Country, travelled thousands of miles to race Speedway.

The Australians have left home and family and family comforts in a bid to increase their abilities as Speedway Riders. Our lads just finish their Speedway practice and go home. That I think is part of the problem, the Aussies have to work harder to keep themselves, they don't have the comfort of being able to go home.

I think that dedication has a lot to do with it.

I remember driving 1200 kms to the UK 5 years ago to do a round of the British youth championship, we'd try to fit in a couple of second half meetings while in the uk. It wasn't unusual to drive to the meeting, set up, wait for the main event to happen then get told there wasn't time to run ours as the main event had overrun.

Frustrating wasn't the word for it !

British youngsters have so many things to choose from these days - they don't have the same dedication as someone who has left their native Country, travelled thousands of miles to race Speedway.

The Australians have left home and family and family comforts in a bid to increase their abilities as Speedway Riders. Our lads just finish their Speedway practice and go home. That I think is part of the problem, the Aussies have to work harder to keep themselves, they don't have the comfort of being able to go home.

I think that is part of it but also, like with all the foreign lads, only the best and most dedicated get here in the first place so we don't see all the lads who don't make the grade like we do with the British lads. They also get a lot of help and advice from their fellow countrymen which isn't so much the case with British lads, that's not always the older British riders fault though.

I think the asset system in the country is almost designed to hold back British youngsters as well. It has always been easier to get rid of an underperforming Brit rather than let him find his feet compared to a foreign rider doing the same although that has changed a little for the better.

Youngsters probably do go into the NL too early, mine did but it's the only way to get them riding regularly enough to improve. As said by others second half racing is cancelled at the drop of a hat. We once turned up to a team second half at Swindon which was cancelled because Mads wanted to test an engine. When I asked Mads about it he had no idea the youngsters had been cancelled which I had guessed because he is one of those riders who is great with the kids. It wasn't urgent for him to test at all, he had mentioned it so the promotion cancelled the kids as they aren't important!

He also told us how in Denmark he used to be able to pay £8 to ride all day any day at his local track, there is nothing as important as seat time.

Edited by Vince

If you are British and want to get on in speedway but you are not that great or short of money ,best thing to do would be to change your name to Shane , and get some acting lessons on how to speak like an Aussie , then you will have a van sponsors , and promoters falling over themselves to offer you team places , best thing about this approach ,If you are not an instant heat leader it wont matter you can just cruise along improving at your own pace while being paid , if theres an english rider at the same place on the learning curve ,it's them who will get dropped ,while you happily continue under achieving

• Like 1

If you are British and want to get on in speedway but you are not that great, best thing to do would be to get some acting lessons on how to speak like an Aussie

Didn't really work for a certain Welsh lad who went on to be a Promoter :lol:

I started going to speedway in the late 60's and went away mid 80's seen the 4 valve come in and change the sport but only slightly.

Came back in 2004 and the change was striking

Lay down engines and slick tracks but the racing was thrilling and the speed exhilarating.

Riders need far more skill now to ride these high powered machines so development can take much longer for many - a few are exceptions but in the 70's you could be a novice one year and a 1st division heat leader in a couple of years.

Rarely happens and unlikely to as promoters want ready made riders for their teams.

I met with the Danish under 15 champion today

He has identical Kevlar and bike colours as his hero Nikki Pedersen

What a lovely young man he was, spent ages talking to fans, I forget his name bet his attitude alone deserves success

Good luck to him, he has a champion attitude

Also watched Kenny Nissen this week and he was awesome. Not sure of his age but what a rider

I think that is part of it but also, like with all the foreign lads, only the best and most dedicated get here in the first place so we don't see all the lads who don't make the grade like we do with the British lads. They also get a lot of help and advice from their fellow countrymen which isn't so much the case with British lads, that's not always the older British riders fault though.

I think the asset system in the country is almost designed to hold back British youngsters as well. It has always been easier to get rid of an underperforming Brit rather than let him find his feet compared to a foreign rider doing the same although that has changed a little for the better.

Youngsters probably do go into the NL too early, mine did but it's the only way to get them riding regularly enough to improve. As said by others second half racing is cancelled at the drop of a hat. We once turned up to a team second half at Swindon which was cancelled because Mads wanted to test an engine. When I asked Mads about it he had no idea the youngsters had been cancelled which I had guessed because he is one of those riders who is great with the kids. It wasn't urgent for him to test at all, he had mentioned it so the promotion cancelled the kids as they aren't important!

He also told us how in Denmark he used to be able to pay £8 to ride all day any day at his local track, there is nothing as important as seat time.

Would that of been in 2005 Vince? The same engine that was bought for Mads by a group of Newport fans for Newport meetings yet was apparantly used every week for Swindon instead? ;)