Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Which One Rider Would You Have Liked To Have Seen But Haven't?

Peter Craven - a firm favourite of my dad. Oxford was his favourite track, and it was rumoured he was in talks to move to Cowley in 1964.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Apart from obvious ones like Craven and Ronnie Moore, I would like to have seen Tadeusz Teodorowicz.

This thread does make me feel old. I've seen most of these riders that others are too young to have seen.....

• Like 1

Yes - got to be Peter Craven - I am just a couple of years too young. I have seen most of the greats from '65 onwards: Fundin, Nygren, Briggs, Mauger and many others, but would loved to have seen Craven Ah Well.

I fit in to the same catagory as yourself Van der Elst. I have seen quite a few of the 'greats' since 1964 when I first became interested in Speedway. It is the greatest regret of my Speedway life that I never saw Peter Craven ride. He is still a hero to me though.

He and Briggo (who I have seen ride and met) are my all time favourites. It says something of the Legend of Peter Craven that he can be one of my two favourite Riders - and I never saw him actually race.

Although I did see him ride, I would have loved to have seen Briggo in his Swindon years.

Those iconic pictures of Peter Craven stay with you superb balance i did get to see Peter's son Robert ride .

Although I did see him ride, I would have loved to have seen Briggo in his Swindon years.

Did you see him ride for Wimbledon/Hull at the Abbey.? Edited by Sidney the robin

Is there any film clip showing Peter Craven at his best?Never seen any.Would be great,especially at Belle Vue

Peter craven

Of the ones I did see

Briggo and Moore were favs

Used to stay behind at Swindon to watch Briggo pratice in on his own, and loved watching Ronnie at plough lane albeit in his return in late seventies

Is there any film clip showing Peter Craven at his best?Never seen any.Would be great,especially at Belle Vue

Don't know anything about the BBC archives but they did broadcast parts of World Finals in the late 1950's. Maybe something has survived but I have no idea how to go about finding out.

Also late 1950's they covered a National Trophy Final between Belle Vue and Wimbledon. Not sure whether they were all in the Dons team at the time but the thought of Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and Ron How all taking on the one and only Peter Craven is the equivalent of Speedway heaven.

:)

• Like 2

Those iconic pictures of Peter Craven stay with you superb balance i did get to see Peter's son Robert ride .

Did you see him ride for Wimbledon/Hull at the Abbey.?

So did I Sid...if I recall he rode for Swindon 'Sprockets' on a number of occasions?

So did I Sid...if I recall he rode for Swindon 'Sprockets' on a number of occasions?

I first see him ride Steve in a second half race when Swindon were looking at Louis Carr /John Williams both Ellesmere Port .Also i can remember seeing Steve Regeling in these races as well he went on to have a good career.
  • Like 1

I first see him ride Steve in a second half race when Swindon were looking at Louis Carr /John Williams both Ellesmere Port .Also i can remember seeing Steve Regeling in these races as well he went on to have a good career.

Didn't he ride for Boston 'Barracudas' and Kings Lynn 'Stars' - or am I thinking of someone else Sidney?

Didn't he ride for Boston 'Barracudas' and Kings Lynn 'Stars' - or am I thinking of someone else Sidney?

Correct WK he rode for Leicester and also Exeter and your beloved Middlesborough in the old National league i liked him as a rider.Saying that i have enjoyed watching all the Aussies over the years the Aussies who never went on to greatness but were very good. Jim Ryman ,Rod Hunter,Ron Henderson,Steve Baker,Mark Fiora Rob Ashton (ect the list is endless. Edited by Sidney the robin