British Speedway Forum
pvm

The National Stadium On Google Earth.

I've just been looking a Google Earth, and they have updated the maps of the area around the National Stadium, and it's interesting to see the difference in track shape between the old Belle Vue Track and the new National Stadium.

One thing I was surprised to see was how the track measurements, in terms of length from the apex of one bend to the opposite bend are very similar between the old and the New tracks. The old Belle Vue measures approx. 118 meters, compared to the National Stadium which measures approx. 128 meters. The big difference is the measurements between the home straights and the back straights. The old Belle Vue measures approx. 40 meters between the two, where as, the National Stadium measures 70 meters. Based on these figures the Old Belle Vue stadium has an approximate 3 to 1 ratio between Length and width, where as the New stadium has an approximate 1.9 to 1 ratio.

It got me thinking, is there an optimal ratio that produces excellent racing. I know there are some small tracks that produce good racing, and there are some big'ish tracks , in terms of track length,that produce poor racing. Is Shape the main factor in producing great racing circuits, irrespective of track length.

(Disclaimer:- All Measurements are approximate using the Google measurement tool, so may not be 100% accurate, but are close enough in accuracy for purposes of this discussion)

The new track looks a good bit wider which probably has as much effect on the quality of racing as any other factors.

Ive said for a long time it's not track length that matters, it's having long bend where the straights are further apart. Look at Scunthorpe, Somerset and as pointed out BV. Most continental tracks have longer bends too.

Then look at Leicester, it's the complete opposite!

The new track is 10 m wide on the straights and 17 m on the bends.

Th e banking is 8 % but it can be moved up to a max of 10 %.

I would like to know how much banking was on the old Hyde road.

The more circular rather than oval so straight line horsepower is less influential, and the wider the straights and the bends so there are more entry and exit lines to be taken, is usually the key to those tracks where racing is considered the best..

In Britain obviously many are inside Greyhound tracks so the footprint is often defined by the space available, however I often think track designers when building inside Greyhound circuits often make a mistake by following the same shape as the Greyhound track itself. Many clubs could still have a smaller more circular circuit with much wider straights and bends than the often long and narrow ones we end up with..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

The new track is 10 m wide on the straights and 17 m on the bends.

Th e banking is 8 % but it can be moved up to a max of 10 %.

I would like to know how much banking was on the old Hyde road.

I'd like to know what the banking was at the Shay!?! I never thought of Hyde Rd as being banked, even though I sat 3rd bend every week, but the banking at the shay was immense
  • Like 1

The more circular rather than oval so straight line horsepower is less influential, and the wider the straights and the bends so there are more entry and exit lines to be taken, is usually the key to those tracks where racing is considered the best..

In Britain obviously many are inside Greyhound tracks so the footprint is often defined by the space available, however I often think track designers when building inside Greyhound circuits often make a mistake by following the same shape as the Greyhound track itself. Many clubs could still have a smaller more circular circuit with much wider straights and bends than the often long and narrow ones we end up with..

very good point about the shape - I have long wondered why Newcastle don't have a shorter and wider circuit - I for one do not like watching there which is a shame because its only a mile from my home!

• Like 1

Ive said for a long time it's not track length that matters, it's having long bend where the straights are further apart. Look at Scunthorpe, Somerset and as pointed out BV. Most continental tracks have longer bends too.

Then look at Leicester, it's the complete opposite!

This is the mistake which David Hemsley made, designing it with long straights, thinking to make a 'fast' speedway, and refusing to listen to advice.

I'd like to know what the banking was at the Shay!?! I never thought of Hyde Rd as being banked, even though I sat 3rd bend every week, but the banking at the shay was immense

I'm told that Coatbridge was even more banked than The Shay.

There certainly was banking on the track..... the question is how much ?

There certainly was banking on the track..... the question is how much ?

Never thought that Oxford was particularly banked until viewed from the the inner kerb when I was helping out prior to the 2003 season. It had quite a gradient and for years the pits bend was notorious for having an adverse camber towards the top to which Dag Lovaas used to his advantage many times when passing opponents.

Odsal had pretty steep banking if I remember correctly?

Berwick's Shielfield Park also had steep banking on the pit's bend. I was amazed when I saw how steep it was when invited to take a close look and acually walk on it.

I'd have thought that the more circular the track the higher the speeds and the more important horsepower becomes. Certainly you can have small tracks that ride 'fast'.

Long straights and tight corners make being able to turn hard and find grip more important than horsepower in my opinion, usually gives less racing lines though.

I'd have thought that the more circular the track the higher the speeds and the more important horsepower becomes. Certainly you can have small tracks that ride 'fast'.

Long straights and tight corners make being able to turn hard and find grip more important than horsepower in my opinion, usually gives less racing lines though.

Mildenhall was/is almost circular and apparently rode like a large one. Visited twice and it did seem very fast.

Wolverhampton - long straights and tight bends with bikes screaming at the end of the straights due to the gear ratio employed. One of my least favourite tracks I have to say.

• Like 1