British Speedway Forum
waco

Lakeside V Plymouth Sat 17th June 7-30 Pm

Maybe no one they thought would be a suitable replacement was interested in taking the booking, just look at the Eastbourne vs Aces match amongst others recently, guests or R/R galore, in that respect this league is no better than the top flight.

Lakeside should have been honest with the fans about the team news as soon as they knew, ok it would have put some people off but is that any better than having people come under false pretences and then deciding they wont bother anymore.

Next Sunday will be interesting if Rye and Lakeside go head to head.

Rye and Lakeside head to head equals poor planning is it any wonder speedway is in such a mess.....

its a challenge meeting against Coventry to help keep them relevent, so not vital for Bomber to be there, not that it probably matters on reflection as those who have chosen Rye would go to Rye anyway, maybe some who were on the fence or tried to frequent both will pick Rye? who knows?

Lakeside don't help themselves with their continued dishonesty towards the fans, meetings taking an age to run and reading that there were no programmes last night is really unprofessional, I see they have also taken away the standing area on the stock car track, I guess the numbers coming in don't justify it being set up.

No excuses ! ,,Plymouth cheated the Lakeside fans

No excuses! OTT

I go to both rye and lakeside. The rockets attracted an excellent crowd for a midweek meeting against belle vue, yet the hammers struggled to pull in the punters last night. I will be at arena next Sunday, because I will always choose a league match over a challenge fixture.

Having visited many national league tracks,I would say the numbers at Lakeside compare very favourably with the majority.of tracks in this league.....the fans are spread widely round the track and you do not get that consentrated look that people go by...And of course some are comparing it to the Elite league attendences

I'm not going to argue about who gets the biggest crowds at NL level. I just find it sad that the majority of the hammers fan base seem to have deserted the club.

No excuses ! ,,Plymouth cheated the Lakeside fans

Very harsh comment. Lakeside and BSPA previews both had Steve down as an injury doubt. Steve tested his back in a pairs meeting on Friday, struggled and pulled out Saturday morning. Plymouth tried to get a replacement but couldn't. Don't know when Lakeside were told of the planned R/R and if there was time than to put out another press release. Obvious choice would have been Bowen, but to change your plans at the last minute on nice sunny Saturday night and upset her indoors might have been difficult.

I was a season ticket holder throughout Lakeside's top-division years, and a regular attendee at the second level. But the drop to the NL was too far for me.
I have nothing against the NL. It serves a purpose, there can be good racing and it's nice to see the enthusiasm of the riders. I used to go along to Mildenhall occasionally and enjoyed it. But that's just what it is for me, a pleasant way to pass an afternoon or evening.
What I miss is the adrenalin rush, the anger, frustration, joy of watching a match in which I passionately care if we win. Now, although of course I prefer Lakeside to win, I can't get too excited one way or the other. It's not a choice, it's just the way it is.
I went to the Kent match, and there was good racing, although it was too drawn out for my liking. I'll probably go again from time to time.
I did think I might go to Rye House occasionally for the top-division fix - not to support them, obviously (I never understand how anyone can go from supporting one team to another!). I went once, but even though I was there an hour and a half early I had to park way down the road, then - having been for a meal and getting into the stadium shortly before start time - I ended up balanced on a little bit of wood straining to see. I don't think I'll go again, as I don't want to be there that early. Of course it's great that they're getting the crowds, but they don't seem to be set up for it. Say what you like about Lakeside - and it's pretty basic, I know - but you can arrive at any time you like and you'll get a parking place and you'll get a decent view.

Edited by Prince Regent

Also why when the meeting is drawn out like that can't they interview a rider or two? Nothing at all except Cook after heat 13

Christ.......I bet that was rivetting.

I was a season ticket holder throughout Lakeside's top-division years, and a regular attendee at the second level. But the drop to the NL was too far for me.

I have nothing against the NL. It serves a purpose, there can be good racing and it's nice to see the enthusiasm of the riders. I used to go along to Mildenhall occasionally and enjoyed it. But that's just what it is for me, a pleasant way to pass an afternoon or evening.

What I miss is the adrenalin rush, the anger, frustration, joy of watching a match in which I passionately care if we win. Now, although of course I prefer Lakeside to win, I can't get too excited one way or the other. It's not a choice, it's just the way it is.

I went to the Kent match, and there was good racing, although it was too drawn out for my liking. I'll probably go again from time to time.

I did think I might go to Rye House occasionally for the top-division fix - not to support them, obviously (I never understand how anyone can go from supporting one team to another!). I went once, but even though I was there an hour and a half early I had to park way down the road, then - having been for a meal and getting into the stadium shortly before start time - I ended up balanced on a little bit of wood straining to see. I don't think I'll go again, as I don't want to be there that early. Of course it's great that they're getting the crowds, but they don't seem to be set up for it. Say what you like about Lakeside - and it's pretty basic, I know - but you can arrive at any time you like and you'll get a parking place and you'll get a decent view.

That more or less sums it up for me as well. The racing in the Kent match was as good if not better than you will see anywhere but it was a bit of a one off. I agree the adrenalin rush doesn't seem to be there when they come to the tapes in the NL, I see the attraction of NL for some but it's not really for me.

I thought I would be going to Rye House a bit more but haven't been able to motivate myself so far. Rye House itself is in a very watered down league. As a life long fan who hardly missed a match when Lakeside were in the top flight, and an occasional visitor to Rye House I seem to have lost motivation these days.

Because I've been a regular at NL tracks since the leagues formation in the mid 1990's, the drop down hasn't been a problem to me. Although a lot of my arena going mates think differently.

Amazing how people differ. I live 3 miles away from Lakeside or arena as i prefer and i never go there At the track the viewing is awful nearly as bad as watching football at stratford. The track has to be flat because of the stox so zero banking. For me it is without a doubt the worst track i have been to and i have been to 90 odd. As far as Rye goes the road opposite the station is a five minute walk. The racing was superb for the visit of Belle Vue but the crowd although decent was nowhere near the levels of the early saturday meetings . There is also plenty of banking to stand on on the bends and you don't actually need to balance of a piece of wood on the back straight.Nothing will ever replace Custom House Waterden road or even New Cross but Rye House has been my choice since 76 and Arena essex doesn't come close. Nice touch last night no programmes. Things must be getting tight

Maybe no one they thought would be a suitable replacement was interested in taking the booking, just look at the Eastbourne vs Aces match amongst others recently, guests or R/R galore, in that respect this league is no better than the top flight.

Lakeside should have been honest with the fans about the team news as soon as they knew, ok it would have put some people off but is that any better than having people come under false pretences and then deciding they wont bother anymore.

Next Sunday will be interesting if Rye and Lakeside go head to head.

I rarely miss a meeting at Rye but no way would i pay the money to see a challenge match against a team the doesn't exist anymore but then again i wouldn't bother with lakeside either

Edited by westhamboy66