British Speedway Forum

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Swedish speedway on tomorrow, sorry, later today. For those who haven't sampled it, I can recommend the coverage and especially the informed commentary by (my mate) Dave Goddard. No shouty, shouty or endless cliches from him.

I must say that Dave Goddard - not my mate - is an excellent commentator who I enjoy listening to and who does add just enough to the on track action.

But Oh How fortunate we are to have the BT coverage which I also enjoy as a different product.

WHY not just press the mute button.

...unfortunately doesn't edit out the analysis data and graphics and constant different camera angles showing the same shot on goal about ten times or snooker shot the same!

Edited by steve roberts

YES he is but if you think I am stupid enough to let that colour my judgement you are sadly mistaken. As for naming more, that would be easy. Suffice to say that both Pearson and Tatum (also a mate) are highly rated in the TV industry. Just because a few on here seem to have personal agendas it won't change the opinions of those that matter and from my own experience of talking to people who watch speedway on TV that they are a great combo.

I don't see how thinking someone is a bloody afwul commentator is having a personal agenda, nor do I believe for one second that the TV industry would pay much attention to a couple of speedway commentators.

The subject's been done to death and Pearson in particular is obviously marmite. I'm not too keen on the usual 2 replies from his lovers though, either "could you do any better" (maybe if I was being paid to but I'm not) or "turn off the sound"!I think if you pay for a service you should be able to listen to it!

I watch a lot of sport on TV and, in my opinion, there are very few poor commentators. Admittedly a lot of ball sports are very different to commentate on than motor sport and I'm not very keen on Huewen and the posh guy on Moto GP, but even they manage to get through a race without shouting and yelling WOOOAH whenever something happens. And I agree the guy on the Swedish coverage is so much better!!

• Like 1

I must say that Dave Goddard - not my mate - is an excellent commentator

Sorry. My joke has backfired (again). Dave Goddard is not "my mate". I only said that because he picked up on some of my postings (during his commentary!) and gave me a mention.

He's a jolly good commentator, none-the-less.

I was always a fan of Nigel but he does seem to be making more and more mistakes with riders names and scorelines these days.

A classic example being last night with, "the score is Leicester 44 and Swindon 31 as we head into the final heat," he even said it twice without realising his mistake!

I think even Kelvin gets a bit fed up with his daft questions sometimes, because he tends to go silent.

I think they've started to overdo the 'matey banter' bit and subsequently they miss a lot of what happens on-track.

The best commentating I've heard was when Chris Louis teamed up with Tatum at the SWC a few years ago...I didn't need to touch my volume control once!

Edited by Terry
  • Like 1

...the main reason I no longer watch any sport on TV. The constant drivel, over analysing and shouting that now appears to be the norm.

Bit like the usual BSF then.

• Like 1

The best commentating I've heard was when Chris Louis teamed up with Tatum at the SWC a few years ago...I didn't need to touch my volume control once!

What he said :approve:

• Like 1

I was always a fan of Nigel but he does seem to be making more and more mistakes with riders names and scorelines these days.

A classic example being last night with, "the score is Leicester 44 and Swindon 31 as we head into the final heat," he even said it twice without realising his mistake!

I think even Kelvin gets a bit fed up with his daft questions sometimes, because he tends to go silent.

I think they've started to overdo the 'matey banter' bit and subsequently they miss a lot of what happens on-track.

Got to agree , I thought messrs Tatum and Louis were very good together. Shame Chris Louis is not part of the current coverage .

Personally I'm not a fan of Pearson, yes he is knowledgeable , but his commentary style is a bit loud and over the top, usually when something minor happens, same with the darts. Its all about opinions. I think there are ways to say your not a fan without being personal.

Edited by New Science

Judging from the plethora of remarks about the merits or otherwise of certain commentators, I'm guessing that things have changed since I left the UK. When I lived in "the mother land" they had this wonderful facility whereby if you didn't like what was being broadcast, you could continue to watch the pictures and mute the sound! I am pleased to say that here in Spain we can still do this. Indeed the last meeting I watched was greatly enhanced by a soundtrack of Richard Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, Tom Wait's Closing Time and Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever.

All too symptomatic of the UK. The collective ignorance of the plebiscite leads to the UK economy being wrecked, Sterling rapidly going down the toilet, and now you Brits are unable to turn off the sound on your TVs. It does seem very unfair!!!!

What he said :approve:

I guess we all have pet names :wink:

Bit like the usual BSF then.

...only from a certain few surely?

When I lived in "the mother land" they had this wonderful facility whereby if you didn't like what was being broadcast, you could continue to watch the pictures and mute the sound!

We still want to hear the bikes though so that wouldn't help. An option to mute just the commentary would be ideal.

• Like 1

One thing I do like about the coverage is there are no gimmicks. No obligatory team talk / huddle shots , no team managers storming to the phone to have a rant at the ref , always thought that these were a bit contrived at times , trying to make it a bit more sexy or exciting.

We still want to hear the bikes though so that wouldn't help. An option to mute just the commentary would be ideal.

This is available in Spain. Most football matches come with four audio tracks, one of which is just the crowd noise. The same is also offered for their Moto GP coverage.