Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your Memories Of Polish Riders In British League

I'm reminded of the famous quote: the more I practice, the luckier I get.

You could claim of course that mauger was unlucky in 73 and 76.

1976 ? really i dont think anyone would of beaten Collins that night Simmons rode his socks off and PC picked him off.And when Collins /Mauger met it was irrelevent PC just needed to have no disasters to win the title.I would of fancied PC to beat Ivan if need be and even from the back 76 was his great day and he was unlucky in 77. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

1976 ? really i dont think anyone would of beaten Collins that night Simmons rode his socks off and PC picked him off.And when Collins /Mauger met it was irrelevent PC just needed to have no disasters to win the title.I would of fancied PC to beat Ivan if need be and even from the back 76 was his great day and he was unlucky in 77.

Ivan always said that 1976 was the title that got away from him...rather than 1973 when he admitted that he was at fault. Personally I don't think that anybody but PC had their name on the trophy in '76.

While we're reminiscing, how would you all rank the best five Poles to compete in the BL in the 70s & 80s?

For me, it would be:

1. PLECH

2. JANCARZ

3. REMBAS

4. CIESLAK

5. JANKOWSKI

Bit of Hackney bias there, I will admit!

Perhaps HUSZCZA and JANKOWSKI in a tie for 5th spot.

I'd go with that with perhaps Toni Woryna knocking on the door (instead of Rembas despite his successful Wembley outing in 1978)?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

If Ivan had showed patience Steve do you think Ivan would of definitely picked Jerzy off.? in that meeting Jerzy had some horrendous rolling starts so was he lucky for me he was .Mauger looking back i felt he was lucky in 72 /77 (Collins moral winner) in 73 he was unlucky..So out of six WC wins i recon two of those 1972/77/ there was a case that Ivan might have been lucky GREAT rider and professional sports man though.Back to the Poles always felt Antoni Woryna was a class rider and later on in the early eighties Piotr Pyszny showed ability at Poole and Halifax.

I certainly agree with you Sidney. Briggo would/should have won in 1972 had it not been for Persson.

That is one thing of which I am totally convinced.

I certainly agree with you Sidney. Briggo would/should have won in 1972 had it not been for Persson.

I think WK - Briggs/Olsen were the two that the final should of revolved around with my bias Briggs head on he might of won it on 14 points that wrangled me for years he could of equaled Fundin's five titles but it was not to be.One thing that people forget is Briggo reached QUALIFIED??? 🤓 for 17 finals on the trott 1954/70 and reached 18 finals in 19 years with a record of 4 / 3 /3 great record. Edited by Sidney the robin

I'm not so sure. Okay he beat Ivan but had yet to meet Olsen who was flying that night despite his miscalculation in his first ride.

Lots of 'ifs and buts' but if Persson hadn't 'hiked him off' it certainly would have made for an interesting climax!

In the next issue (81) of Backtrack, Martin Rogers will be looking back at the Polish riders who competed in British League in the 70s & 80s and the memories they created.

Alongside the main piece will be a column of supporters' comments about the Poles who raced in the UK during that era, so please either post your personal recollections, anecdotes, memories or opinions here or email us at: editorial@retro-speedway.com

Max Rech in the early 1950s was the first Pole to ride in British speedway. He was associated with Fleetwood and St Austell in a career that was ended by a serious injury.

THE arrival of the Sparta team at Wimbledon on Good Friday April 19 1957 virtually drove promoter Ronnie Greene 'up the pole.'

Oh dear gustix despite being a journalist proves he cannot read plain english :rofl::icon_smile_clown:

Oh dear gustix despite being a journalist proves he cannot read plain english :rofl::icon_smile_clown:

​I understand fully the point you are making. However, the 'clever trend' on the BSF these days is it seems to take items off topic. And that's what I did as related to your preceding thread.

Go to GENERAL DISCUSSIONS for an example. There's a thread there originally about feeding birds - when I last looked there were items about fishing. insects, etc.

That's why I had no qualms about the items relating to Max Rech and the Sparta team at Wimbledon appearing in this thread.

​The Sparta item even managed a LIKE, so obviously nobody apart from yourself seemingly is too upset about going off topic! Oh, and there should be a capital E in your reference to English!

Edited by Guest

​I understand fully the point you are making. However, the 'clever trend' on the BSF these days is it seems to take items off topic. And that's what I did as related to your preceding thread.

Go to GENERAL DISCUSSIONS for an example. There's a thread there originally about feeding birds - when I last looked there were items about fishing. insects, etc.

That's why I had no qualms about the items relating to Max Rech and the Sparta team at Wimbledon appearing in this thread.

​The Sparta item even managed a LIKE, so obviously nobody apart from yourself seemingly is too upset about going off topic! Oh, and there should be a capital E in your reference to English!

John, FFS, iris is right.

Please, do us all a favour. Aren't there a thousand other threads you can hijack and leave this one to the relevant 70s/80s period?

Why not start your own forum?

• Like 1

Can we talk about flat-track here??? After all, this is the BFTF according to gustix... :party:

Steve

• Like 1

I am NOT a journalist. I WAS a journalist. But that aspect of my life ceased when I retired in August 1997.

I think of the poles who rode over here in the Backtrack period, surely Zenon Plech is the undisputed top dog. A total legend for Hackney fans. Perhaps only Jancarz at Wimbledon could be said to be held in such high regard by British fans.

• Like 1

Agree, Plech played a pivotal role in Hackney almost winning the 1980 BL. Steady Eddie was popular but never seemed to arrive before July in his later seasons with us..

I think i have posted before,but in that era of the 5 best season averages for a polish rider,Eddie finished 4 times in the top 5 and probably Plech it was who was the rider who stopped him having the top 5 spots