British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Belle Vue Bt Sports 26/6/17

He wouldn't stand out at the NSS as much where skill is of far less importance.

Not a knock on the track in the slightest, it's fantastic, but the fact that it does require less skill to compete on it levels the playing field, creating the great racing.

• Like 2

He wouldn't stand out at the NSS as much where skill is of far less importance.

Not a knock on the track in the slightest, it's fantastic, but the fact that it does require less skill to compete on it levels the playing field, creating the great racing.

It reduces the fear of coming off and caving your head in, but the cream still rises to the top. Riders like Darcy Ward would definitely set themselves apart from the rest.

• Like 1

The NSS requires just as much skill to ride as most other tracks, that's why the top scorers are usually the better and in form riders. To ride it well you have to be very smooth on the bike otherwise you lose traction and because of the high speeds can immediately suffer for it. It is the shape and width of the track which makes it relatively safe and that, together with the numerous racing lines, is what enable the generally close racing.

The problem with the small tracks is that they often have only one or two racing lines and that together with the significant home advantage they often offer can produce processional racing. Our many years at the dog track and my numerous visits to most tracks confirms my opinion. That isn't to say that they don't offer some exciting racing, they can and do and some are better than others but for me it doesn't compare to the spectacle I was brought up on at Hyde Road and now at the NSS as well as tracks like Somerset and Peterborough.

• Like 4

The NSS requires just as much skill to ride as most other tracks, that's why the top scorers are usually the better and in form riders. To ride it well you have to be very smooth on the bike otherwise you lose traction and because of the high speeds can immediately suffer for it. It is the shape and width of the track which makes it relatively safe and that, together with the numerous racing lines, is what enable the generally close racing.

The problem with the small tracks is that they often have only one or two racing lines and that together with the significant home advantage they often offer can produce processional racing. Our many years at the dog track and my numerous visits to most tracks confirms my opinion. That isn't to say that they don't offer some exciting racing, they can and do and some are better than others but for me it doesn't compare to the spectacle I was brought up on at Hyde Road and now at the NSS as well as tracks like Somerset and Peterborough.

Well said, a very good assessment. One of my favourite tracks prior to NSS being built was Peterborough usually good racing there and I expect it still is although in a lower league.

• Like 1

Exactly. I watched woofinden dominate the world cup and then a couple of weeks later he couldn't even get through a meeting at the horror track without falling off by himself.

I think you could apply your 'skill' theory to other sports. How about having cricket on a narrow 6" wide wicket or football on a ploughed field or athletics on a one lane track or baseball on the inside of a 5-a-side pitch.

I think you're on to something or maybe some sports just don't work properly in unsuitable locations.

you really are one sad individual.

The NSS is the best track in the country we know that.

Wolves is a different type of track but its a great track with good racing, just not flat out.

Or are you talking about Pooles horror track?

• Like 2

So 8 days and 37 pages in and this meeting thread is still going - even though most of the posts since the meeting on Monday are totally irrelevant!!

Maybe mods can now close the thread?!

So 8 days and 37 pages in and this meeting thread is still going - even though most of the posts since the meeting on Monday are totally irrelevant!!

Are you not enjoying the banter?

Why??? If you dont like it dont come on it its really not that hard

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

More personal insults and egged on by the unusual suspects, ha ha!

It isn't my fault woofinden (amongst other gp riders) wasn't skilful enough not to fall off by himself at the horror track is it?

All the tracks used for gp's must be horror tracks aswell then the amount of times they come off, maybe they should hold them all at the NSS

• Like 1

More personal insults and egged on by the unusual suspects, ha ha!

It isn't my fault woofinden (amongst other gp riders) wasn't skilful enough not to fall off by himself at the horror track is it?

I called you sad...........very precious if you call that an insult...........i could have used worse.

If you think Wolves is a horror track then your speedway knowledge resembles that of a 2 year old, or you simply troll

• Like 2

Wolves is a different type of track but its a great track with good racing, just not flat out.

You're attacking the poster, and then taking a dig at Poole in this post. Classic troll Gavin, as usual. I'd say you post perhaps one sensible, non-trolling post in about ten.

If you were more accepting of other's points of view, didn't assert your version of events as FACT, weren't so insistent at having the last word and obsessed by all things Starman and Shovvy, you'd probably be a decent contributor to this forum. Shame.

Edited by Bleeds Pirate Blue
  • Like 2

Exactly. I watched woofinden dominate the world cup and then a couple of weeks later he couldn't even get through a meeting at the horror track without falling off by himself.

I think you could apply your 'skill' theory to other sports. How about having cricket on a narrow 6" wide wicket or football on a ploughed field or athletics on a one lane track or baseball on the inside of a 5-a-side pitch.

I think you're on to something or maybe some sports just don't work properly in unsuitable locations.

This was the post from Fred Flange............mentioned a horror track

My response.

You're attacking the poster, and then taking a dig at Poole in this post. Classic troll Gavin, as usual. I'd say you post perhaps one sensible, non-trolling post in about ten.

If you were more accepting of other's points of view, didn't assert your version of events as FACT, weren't so insistent at having the last word and obsessed by all things Starman and Shovvy, you'd probably be a decent contributor to this forum. Shame.

Ok lets get one thing clear.

This Fred Flange thing is a regular 'bully boy' mainly of stevebrum....go and look at any Wolves thread, he attacks him , and gets very personal as well.

He always attacks the Wolves track.mainly due to his obsession with stevebrum....its another way to goad him into a response.

Now in the above post the aforementioned Flange states the words 'horror track' and doesnt mention that he is talking about Wolves (though i guess he was).

However this is a Poole thread he could have been talking about Pooles track being the 'horror one' which is why i asked the question.

Ive not been to Poole since the Mark Loram farewell, but when you read the posts on this thread alone its quite clear that Pooles track is not good, hence i asked Flange which track he was talking about...............not trolling in any way.

Starman we all know isnt the sharpest tool in the box, but its also evident from this thread what a vast majority (including Poole fans) think of Shovlar..........yet my name is mentioned. Have a little look back over this thread

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with the conversation totally.on the wrong thread