British Speedway Forum
Hamish McRaker

Footwear In The Pits

It was during the British final on Monday when I saw something which almost caused me to regurgitate my beer.

Mr Grajonek who I gather was assisting a rider as part of his pits crew, sauntered out onto the track wearing a pair of flip flops on his feet.

Where did he think he was? Bondi bloody beach surfers convention or somewhere?

Why the blazes wasn't he wearing a pair of good sturdy, manly boots. Why wasn't he made to don something more appropriate.

It was during the British final on Monday when I saw something which almost caused me to regurgitate my beer.

Mr Grajonek who I gather was assisting a rider as part of his pits crew, sauntered out onto the track wearing a pair of flip flops on his feet.

Why the blazes wasn't he wearing a pair of good sturdy, manly boots. Why wasn't he made to don something more appropriate.

Have to say - as a former Health and Safety Officer in my work life - I noticed that on the Television.

I wondered where the Health and Safety people were?

• Like 1

Have to say - as a former Health and Safety Officer in my work life - I noticed that on the Television.

I wondered where the Health and Safety people were?

I have also noticed for the last couple of seasons Robert Lambert's mother who assisting her son in the pit's wear's very flimsy sandals. Some folk never think do they.

Take a look at the Aussies when they do there track walks..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

hopefully on the moon , don't need H&S sticking it's bloody nose in , try living a little , you would be surprised how good life can be

I would like to agree with you The Dean Machine - but I don't.

As a professional Speedway Rider Josh has a Career to protect - his own.

Worst case scenario:

Just for argument's sake, say that someone is carrying an Engine to a Bike and slips on some oil, drops the Engine which then lands on Grajonek' leg and foot thus breaking the leg. Result - Josh is out for some considerable time, the Meeting is held up for the Paramedic to attend Josh, the Ambulance takes Josh to Hospital and has to return if there is only one Ambulance. All of this takes time.

All of this could have happened because of one pair of Flip-Flops - I ask you - is the risk worth it?

Add to that, the Track itself could be sued by Josh for not adhering to proper Health and Safety Standards in the Pits.

I know I sound like a bit of a prat - but these things have to be considered surely.

• Like 1

hopefully on the moon , don't need H&S sticking it's bloody nose in , try living a little , you would be surprised how good life can be

I remember a couple of guys who decided to forget safety and 'live a little'. They did, until the day they ignored safety rules and died from asphyxiation in a silo. Still, at least they showed those H&S geeks, eh?

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 1

I remember a couple of guys who decided to forget safety and 'live a little'. They did, until the day they ignored safety rules and died from asphyxiation in a silo. Still, at least they showed those H&S geeks, eh?

ah bless your such a softee, I have news for you , thousands of people die everyday, it's the way life is, reading your posts recently you sound like a real bundle of joy to be around

I would like to agree with you The Dean Machine - but I don't.

As a professional Speedway Rider Josh has a Career to protect - his own.

Worst case scenario:

Just for argument's sake, say that someone is carrying an Engine to a Bike and slips on some oil, drops the Engine which then lands on Grajonek' leg and foot thus breaking the leg. Result - Josh is out for some considerable time, the Meeting is held up for the Paramedic to attend Josh, the Ambulance takes Josh to Hospital and has to return if there is only one Ambulance. All of this takes time.

All of this could have happened because of one pair of Flip-Flops - I ask you - is the risk worth it?

Add to that, the Track itself could be sued by Josh for not adhering to proper Health and Safety Standards in the Pits.

I know I sound like a bit of a prat - but these things have to be considered surely.

and do you really think thrill seekers like speedway riders care a hoot about wearing proper footware ? Or any sort of health and safety for that matter Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 5

ah bless your such a softee, I have news for you , thousands of people die everyday, it's the way life is, reading your posts recently you sound like a real bundle of joy to be around

and do you really think thrill seekers like speedway riders care a hoot about wearing proper footware ? Or any sort of health and safety for that matter

I believe you are right. I don't think they do give a hoot.

All I am saying is that sensible precautions could save a lot of trouble further down the line and that should, at the very least, be considered.

There is a lot of Health and Safety Rules that even I consider unnecessary. But in a dangerous environment like a Speedway Pits, some form of sensible Rules and Regulations should/must apply.

I would be interested to know if Speedway actually does Risk Assessments etc.

Just out of interest.

In response to the above, think of the money riders could save on helmets, goggles, gloves 'n' all, were it not for restrictive safety rules.

It's not so much the safety thing, more revulsion at seeing a bloke wearing a little pair of girlie shoes. You don't find on duty soldiers going round wearing prissy little pairs of flip flops. Man up, Grajonek and other flip floppers, let's keep standards up.

• Like 1

In response to the above, think of the money riders could save on helmets, goggles, gloves 'n' all, were it not for restrictive safety rules.

We were discussing Pit Rules and Regulations. Riders themselves wear Boots anyway - we are discussing the case of a Mechanic. In this instance a Rider who was acting as a Mechanic for a Rider during the Meeting - we were not discussing Riders per sé.

• Like 1

check out the gloves the riders are wearing these days they offer little or no protection, they are like socks

• Like 1

Some of those lackies/mechanics/helpers even smoke in and around the pits and flick their dumps around,,, god forbid if there was anything flamable nearby.

and as for Josh Grosh wearing flip-flops, it had been a warm day,,, but maybe he could've wore socks to offer some protection.

Edited by ruffdiamond