British Speedway Forum

I've just read on the Live Updates site that after a crash involving Kelsey Dugard and himself that Kelsey Dugard was excluded.

Liam Carr spoke to the referee and said it was my fault and the referee amended the result accordingly

IMO a fantastic gesture by young Liam may he be the first of many.

Edited because my predictive text changes Dugard to Sugars

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 8

A superb act by young Liam. He is to be praised very highly for this.

Let's hope that SPORTSMANSHIP is returning once more to Speedway.

Well done Liam, you have set a great example for others to follow - you have my total admiration.

Well done that man.

Credit to the ref too for admitting he/she was wrong.....that doesn't happen often either.

• Like 1

Edited because my predictive text changes Dugard to Sugars.....

I know this has nothing to do with Speedway but why the hell would it do that? :lol: I'm all for improvements in technology and marvel at some of the things today but I wouldn't like things predicting what I'm saying and completely changing a word. I don't understand the need for this.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

Could be TripleH was using a mobile or tablet to type the original post.

I assume predictive text has more to do with using mobiles/tablets then pc's. Best way of typing using a mobile is with the 2 thumbs, and can be very slow (unless you an 8 year old growing up with mobiles), so to speed the process up there is predictive text. This is where the software predicts a word, shows it, and you select if you want it, thus saving what can be huge amounts of time. There is usually a choice of words predicted, very often one of the predictions is correct so can be very useful. The software also learns what the person typing has said in the past and sometimes surprises me in what it has chosen. Can be a real pain at times when it gets the word incorrect but puts it in anyway.

• Like 2

Remember John Davis admitting his guilt at the inaugral Indoor Meeting at Wenbley when there was a race incident between himself and, if I recall, Ivan Mauger.

Could be TripleH was using a mobile or tablet to type the original post.

I assume predictive text has more to do with using mobiles/tablets then pc's. Best way of typing using a mobile is with the 2 thumbs, and can be very slow (unless you an 8 year old growing up with mobiles), so to speed the process up there is predictive text. This is where the software predicts a word, shows it, and you select if you want it, thus saving what can be huge amounts of time. There is usually a choice of words predicted, very often one of the predictions is correct so can be very useful. The software also learns what the person typing has said in the past and sometimes surprises me in what it has chosen. Can be a real pain at times when it gets the word incorrect but puts it in anyway.

and it can be highly embarrassing if you don't check it before you press'send'.

and it can be highly embarrassing if you don't check it before you press'send'.

I nearly always forget to read back through it

• Like 1

I think you can usually turn predictive text off - but people either dont know - or dont bother...

Sorry - I went off topic in my earlier post

Back to Liam Carr, I think its a good thing he did - thats a true sportsman. Yes you compete to win, either for individual honour or for a team......but it shouldnt be win at all cost. Just look at football with the dives and dramatics when someone gets fouled, the famous "hand of god" goal - still being talked about after all those years.

In speedway, at the tapes, rider on inside moves, man on gate 2 follows - touches tapes and gets excluded, man on gate 1 gets a rerun. Its not right, its not in good sportsmanship.....but it will carry on...........well done Liam I say

It was a truly horrendous crash on the island last last night. One of those that makes you fear the worst. Kelsey and Liam were very lucky to walk away from the carnage.

A superb act by young Liam. He is to be praised very highly for this.

Let's hope that SPORTSMANSHIP is returning once more to Speedway.

Well done Liam, you have set a great example for others to follow - you have my total admiration.

Exactly the same happened to us At Scunthorpe in an MDL meeting , the rider who caused the crash ,phoned the lady ref ,and told her it's my fault . as you might expect ,she told him she knew better and wasn't going to change her mind . if he wasn't at the tapes in 2 minutes he too would be excluded . he refused to go in the race on principle , good on him

• Like 5

Exactly the same happened to us At Scunthorpe in an MDL meeting , the rider who caused the crash ,phoned the lady ref ,and told her it's my fault . as you might expect ,she told him she knew better and wasn't going to change her mind . if he wasn't at the tapes in 2 minutes he too would be excluded . he refused to go in the race on principle , good on him

thats great and, pleasing to see that the sport we love isn't full of snides and cheats.