British Speedway Forum
iris123

Greatest 5 Americans Ever

​Posts keep hammering at Mike Bast for NOT racing in British/European speedway.

A key factor is that he always made it clear that he had NO INTEREST IN DOING SO. It's as simple as that.

He never made claims either that he wanted to be world champion.

This again is from claims by various journalists and others over the years NOT MIKE BAST!!!

But for some reason the facts outlined here do not seem to be grasped by British speedway supporters. :lol:

Edited by Guest

A key factor is that he always made it clear that he had NO INTEREST IN DOING SO. It's as simple as that.

This again is from claims by various journalists and others over the years NOT MIKE BAST!!!

But for some reason the facts outlined here do not seem to be grasped by British speedway supporters. :lol:

I think you are taking posts the wrong way. Nobody is hammering Mike Bast. The issue is whether or not he is one of the top 5 Americans of all time.

At least we can finally put this Bast theme to bed.He was a big fish in the California scene,but a small fish on the world scene.The top Americans were all big fish on the world scene.And Scott the photographer doesn't know much about the world scene and it seems much about what the Americans achieved in Europe,so not in a great position to judge.

I don't think anyone is hammering him at all, so I don't know why you are being so precious. People are simply stating that he didn't have the desire to make it to the very top. Which is something he (presumably based on above), you and everyone else agree upon. Where there is disagreement is that he is among the very best Americans of all time. That suggestion - without any significant international achievements at all - is preposterous.
  • Like 1

I think all of us who have commented on Mike respect him as a rider i certainly do anyway no malice meant on my part. A 7 times USA champion that is one thing no one can ever take away from him. Edited by Sidney the robin

I think all of us who have commented on Mike respect him as a rider i certainly do anyway no malice meant on my part. A 7 times USA champion that is one thing no one can ever take away from him.

True Sidney - but the calibre of his opposition has also to be considered in winning those Titles?

Were all of the Americans racing in Europe involved in the Championships Bast won - I don't know. But if they weren't, it would surely make his achievement of seven Titles a bit suspect when it comes to being a truly great Rider.

Don't you agree?

True Sidney - but the calibre of his opposition has also to be considered in winning those Titles?

Were all of the Americans racing in Europe involved in the Championships Bast won - I don't know. But if they weren't, it would surely make his achievement of seven Titles a bit suspect when it comes to being a truly great Rider.

Don't you agree?

Certainly WK quite right and those championships were never as strong as the ones to qualify for the tough Intrercontinental/Overseas round in the World championships.That round was so tough a graveyard for some i think only three qualified the same as the Australian Round.Riders like S.Moran, K.Moran,Autrey ,Sigalos,King,Schwartz missed out badly over the years.
  • Like 1

Billy Janniro-7 times National Champion..surely that makes him one of the greatest :wink:

Whatever happened to Chris Manchester? He was pretty decent as I recall, then he just seemed to disappear.

• Like 1

Billy Janniro-7 times National Champion..surely that makes him one of the greatest :wink:

That is what we call an own goal,i think :rofl:

• Like 2

Whatever happened to Chris Manchester? He was pretty decent as I recall, then he just seemed to disappear.

Fully agree, Janniro should be ranked number 1. Though What amazes me more is that no one had Jason Bunyan ahead of mauger Moore and Briggs on the Nz thread.

Don't you agree?

Tbh in the 70s you only had Autrey and in the late 70s Penhall and Schwartz racing in Europe of any note. And as I recall Autrey picked up a ban for not competing at least one year. The likes of Siggy Morans Preston Cook King Ermolenko etc only really emerged in the 80s (for the pedants, yes Kelly impressed in 79)

Bruce Penhall was a very wealthy man, after the tragic death of his parents. But it didn't stop him coming over to ride for Cradley Heath to make it to the very top. Penhall had a level of determination that Bast lacked.

All the best

Rob

Agreed, as well as the obvious ability he had the desire to take it to the very top.

My top five would be (and it's a very difficult choice)

1. Bruce Penhall

2. Greg Hancock

3, Scott Autrey

4. Kelly Moran

5. Dennis Sigalos

........ but there's an easy argument for Lance King, Shawn Moran, John Cook, Ron Preston etc.