(4) Crocky Rawding

(5) Goldie Restall

My top five Canadian riders:

​(1 - equal) Eric Chitty and Jimmy Gibb

(3) George Pepper

(4) Crocky Rawding

(5) Goldie Restall

Eric Chitty

I can only name the one as he is the only one I have heard of.

• Like 1

Eric Chitty

Shawn Venables (?) plus a Canadian (Ford?) who rode for Weymouth back in the seventies.

• Like 1

Shawn Venables (?) plus a Canadian (Ford?) who rode for Weymouth back in the seventies.

Oh - Fisher as well - I think. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

Or Kyle Legault who rode just a few years back in the UK.And possibly Chris Slabon who also rode in the UK just over a decade ago??Son of Polish rider Robert who also rode in the UK

• Like 1

Eric Chitty

You should look up George Pepper DFC; apart from being a very good speedway rider, he was a well known RAF fighter pilot who shot down 18 enemy bombers. He was killed on a test flight.

Nice to see Gary Ford mentioned. He lost his life way too young...

Steve

• Like 2

Or Kyle Legault who rode just a few years back in the UK.And possibly Chris Slabon who also rode in the UK just over a decade ago??Son of Polish rider Robert who also rode in the UK

Remember watching Robert riding for Eastbourne during the eighties.

You should look up George Pepper DFC; apart from being a very good speedway rider, he was a well known RAF fighter pilot who shot down 18 enemy bombers. He was killed on a test flight.

Nice to see Gary Ford mentioned. He lost his life way too young...

Steve

Didn't know that. Very sad.

1 - Eric Chitty, - 3x British Individual Champion, 1940, '41 & '42, at war-time Belle Vue.
2 - Jimmy Gibb comes a long way behind, (by virtue of his immediate pre-war performance.)
None of the others merit mention.

1 - Eric Chitty, - 3x British Individual Champion, 1940, '41 & '42, at war-time Belle Vue.

2 - Jimmy Gibb comes a long way behind, (by virtue of his immediate pre-war performance.)

Actually a little bit unfair.I was at Vojens the night Kyle was just 5 rides away from qualifying for the GP series!!!!!

Actually a little bit unfair.I was at Vojens the night Kyle was just 5 rides away from qualifying for the GP series!!!!!

One swallow . . . . .

• Like 1

One swallow . . . . .

Absolutely,but at least he had one.Most of those others mentioned by gustix wouldn't have even or definitely didn't even have one.Can't remember the route,but he must have made it through a couple of qualis to get to Vojens.Got to humour the old boy,he does like to get his obscure riders mentioned from time to time

It is rather amazing to think that a Canadian was just one meeting away from qualifying for a GP series in the last decade

Actually quite impressive to finish ahead of Holder,Hampel and Pavlic in the semi final.Must be the best Canadian achievement for 50 years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Speedway_Grand_Prix_Qualification#Terenzano

Edited by iris123

​Are you rating Jimmy Gibb only on performances for West Ham in 1938 and 1939, then Wimbledon in 1949 and 1951. Or are you also taking into consideration his form from circa 1933 in the USA. There was a USA immediate post-war period when he rated alongside American stars like Jack and Cordy Milne and Wilbur Lamoreaux. He was then a serious contender for the American Championship.

Edited by Guest

If you check Newcastle for 1938 and 1939 you will find that George Pepper had an impressive record. He was also highly rated as an ever improving rider. And Crocky Rawding and Goldie Reseal both featured in the 1938 and 1938 National League Division One seasons at New Cross and Wimbledon.

This is an opinion in regard to the merits of Canadian riders compared to each other, not in regard to world rated status.

My opinion of the top five Canadian riders despite more recent suggestions on the thread remains as:

​(1 - equal) Eric Chitty and Jimmy Gibb

(3) George Pepper

(4) Crocky Rawding

(5) Goldie Restall

​I would be interested to see other 'ratings lists' in regard to Canadian riders.

Absolutely,but at least he had one.Most of those others mentioned by gustix wouldn't have even or definitely didn't even have one.Can't remember the route,but he must have made it through a couple of qualis to get to Vojens.Got to humour the old boy,he does like to get his obscure riders mentioned from time to time

It is rather amazing to think that a Canadian was just one meeting away from qualifying for a GP series in the last decade

Actually quite impressive to finish ahead of Holder,Hampel and Pavlic in the semi final.Must be the best Canadian achievement for 50 years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Speedway_Grand_Prix_Qualification#Terenzano

Actually you are probably right, if I remember rightly Kyle broke his hand or something in it in his very first ride and rode the other four in pain, could have been different if that had not have happened.....doubt very much he would have made it to the GP series but he would have done much better if that had not happened.

The one rider that would have done well on the International scene would have been Len Dillon, doubt you have heard of him, however he swapped flat track for Speedway at the age of 35 (I think) then went on to win 8 National Speedway titles, he was a natural.

Len's qualification to the World Championships was always through the American rounds....BUT in those days of the Ford and Dillon it wasn't the regular 16 rider championship that we all know....both riders were usually paired against the very best of the Californians meeting the SAME riders a few times.....

Even in the US Open in Owego, New York, Gary Ford had to beat the best Owego riders and Californians in the qualifying....and usually did beat them but its another story in the Final for Gary, which I won't go into here.

Actually you are probably right, if I remember rightly Kyle broke his hand or something in it in his very first ride and rode the other four in pain, could have been different if that had not have happened.....doubt very much he would have made it to the GP series but he would have done much better if that had not happened.

The one rider that would have done well on the International scene would have been Len Dillon, doubt you have heard of him, however he swapped flat track for Speedway at the age of 35 (I think) then went on to win 8 National Speedway titles, he was a natural.

Len's qualification to the World Championships was always through the American rounds....BUT in those days of the Ford and Dillon it wasn't the regular 16 rider championship that we all know....both riders were usually paired against the very best of the Californians meeting the SAME riders a few times.....

Even in the US Open in Owego, New York, Gary Ford had to beat the best Owego riders and Californians in the qualifying....and usually did beat them but its another story in the Final for Gary, which I won't go into here.

Think you are right on both accounts.Seem to remember Kyle injured himself in his first ride.Like you say,he probably wouldn't have qualified,but then i doubt many would have given him a chance in that semi final

And yes,i have never heard of Len Dillon