5. Bryan Woodward

Edited by steve roberts

1. Freddie Williams

2. Eric Williams

3. Ian Willimas

4. Owen Owen aka 'Taffy'

5. Bryan Woodward

Once again I agree steve.

Mainly because I can't think of anyone else.

At a Crewe 'Kings' Reunion we shared a taxi with Taffy Owen and Peter Kelly. What a couple of characters they were.

Wonderful fellows and wonderful memories.

• Like 1

1. Freddie Williams

2. Eric Williams

3. Ian Willimas

4. Owen Owen aka 'Taffy'

5. Bryan Woodward

I would have included Bob Hughes and Phil Morris ahead of Taffy Owen.

• Like 1

Once again I agree steve.

Mainly because I can't think of anyone else.

At a Crewe 'Kings' Reunion we shared a taxi with Taffy Owen and Peter Kelly. What a couple of characters they were.

Wonderful fellows and wonderful memories.

I'm guessing that Dai Evans (One time Crewe skipper) was Welsh?

I'm guessing that Dai Evans (One time Crewe skipper) was Welsh?

I understand that Dai was born in Bridgnorth, which is in Shropshire, England.

• Like 2

1. Freddie Williams

2. Eric Williams

3. Ian Williams

4. Leo McAuliffe

5. Cyril Francis

Some sources suggest that Leo was born in London, but he was listed as being Welsh when he qualified for the 1963 World Final. Ivor Hughes was heading for the top five when he was tragically killed in 1966.

1. Freddie Williams

2. Eric Williams

3. Ian Williams

4. Leo McAuliffe

5. Cyril Francis

Some sources suggest that Leo was born in London, but he was listed as being Welsh when he qualified for the 1963 World Final. Ivor Hughes was heading for the top five when he was tragically killed in 1966.

This Link indicates that Leo McAuliffe was probably a Londoner!

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/1916/leo-mcauliffe

1. Freddie Williams

2. Eric Williams

3. Ian Williams

4. Leo McAuliffe

5. Cyril Francis

I was considering the Welsh Top Five earlier and actually came up with the same five. I checked on Leo and, as you say, discovered he was apparently born in London. However, all the time I followed New Cross in 1960 and 1961, he was described as Welsh. So I'll stick to that five!

I was considering the Welsh Top Five earlier and actually came up with the same five. I checked on Leo and, as you say, discovered he was apparently born in London. However, all the time I followed New Cross in 1960 and 1961, he was described as Welsh. So I'll stick to that five!

While postings on another current thread debate whether Mr.A or Mr. B have changed passports or are eligible to compete for a British title, what no one can do is officially change their nationality from English to Welsh or Scottish, or vice versa . ( . . but Ms Sturgeon might change that one day !)

EDIT. But wait, - New Cross in '60 & '61. . . .Wasn't the promoter at that time a certain Mr. Hoskins ?

Now we realise anything is possible ! Johnnie knew that variety was good publicity.

Edited by britmet

While postings on another current thread debate whether Mr.A or Mr. B have changed passports or are eligible to compete for a British title, what no one can do is officially change their nationality from English to Welsh or Scottish, or vice versa . ( . . but Ms Sturgeon might change that one day !)

EDIT. But wait, - New Cross in '60 & '61. . . .Wasn't the promoter at that time a certain Mr. Hoskins ?

Now we realise anything is possible ! Johnnie knew that variety was good publicity.

Errr! Leo McAuliffe was also regarded as being Welsh in his Southern Area League days - which started in about 1956 at Easbourne. It's hard to fathom out that Welsh business when he has a set-of Scottish surname! He was a good rider and nice guy - I knew him quite well in this era. He was always very polite and helpful - just like some BSF posters are!

I understand that Dai was born in Bridgnorth, which is in Shropshire, England.

Yes - and he still lives in the Shropshire area. He is a lovely man who travels to Sunderland every year to attend our Reunions.

Yes - and he still lives in the Shropshire area. He is a lovely man who travels to Sunderland every year to attend our Reunions.

I remember seeing some of his early rides in second half races at Midlands tracks, mainly Wolverhampton and Cradley Heath from about 1964 onwards. Dai also rode in half a dozen meetings for West Ham early in 1967.

I was waiting for this-as an expat Welsh guy in Canada-clearly the top three are the Williams brothers-Fred, Eric and Ian . For 4 and 5 (excluding Leo McAuliffe) I gotta go with Cyril Francis(god bless him-now quite ill) and then Ivor Hughes -who I saw at a WCQR at Long Eaton(1966 or 67) and clearly was greatly improving -who knows what he could have achieved!!

Bit surprised that Howard Cole (Kid Bodie) has not got a mention. I'm sure he was regarded as Welsh in the 60s and 70s. Always open to correction though. As a World Finalist and top league heat leader he would surely come into contention.

Also agree with everyone who has mentioned Ivor Hughes. He looked really good and headed for the top - another of Speedway's tragic might have beens.

• Like 1