British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
britmet

Top Five South African Riders

The RSA seems to have been overlooked, so here's my top 5 South African Riders, -

1 - Henry Long
2 - Doug Davies
3 - Dennis Newton
4 - Fred Wills
5 - Denzil Kent

I haven't overlooked Buddy Fuller, but HL and DD at 1 & 2 can't be refuted.
Dennis Newton is there by virtue of having the greatest number of SA national senior titles, even though English born: he was naturalised and living there at the time of taking most of them, and was a UK senior league rider at his peak.

Denzil Kent was also not S.Africa born, but from Southern Rhodesia, - not sure if he ever took up SA citizenship.

1. Henry Long

2. Doug Davies

3. Doug Serrurier

4. Fred Wills

5. Dennis Newton

The RSA seems to have been overlooked, so here's my top 5 South African Riders, -

1 - Henry Long

2 - Doug Davies

3 - Dennis Newton

4 - Fred Wills

5 - Denzil Kent

I haven't overlooked Buddy Fuller, but HL and DD at 1 & 2 can't be refuted.

Dennis Newton is there by virtue of having the greatest number of SA national senior titles, even though English born: he was naturalised and living there at the time of taking most of them, and was a UK senior league rider at his peak.

Denzil Kent was also not S.Africa born, but from Southern Rhodesia, - not sure if he ever took up SA citizenship.

Were Keith Harvey and Cecil de la Porte ever considered? And there were a couple more South Africans in British speedway late 1920s-early 1930s. Alan Reeve rode for Crystal Palace late 1920s early 1930s but, I think, died in a road accident. Stan Collins, in photo, is another who especially springs to mind. Joe Sarkis was also a leading rider in that era.

12744745_1746173128935704_22970771299431
Edited by Guest

I put Denzil in because of his 1985 S.A. record, when, after a year in the UK top flight in '84, he went back and collected all 4 senior titles, - SA Championship, SA Open, SA Open Handicap, and End-of-Season Match Race Champ.

Were Keith Harvey and Cecil de la Porte ever considered? And there were a couple more South Africans in British speedway late 1920s-early 1930s. Alan Reeve rode for Crystal Palace late 1920s early 1930s but, I think, died in a road accident. Stan Collins, in photo, is another who especially springs to mind. Joe Sarkis was also a leading rider in that era.

This is a query I have in regard to the List. I am puzzled as to why pre-war South African speedway appears to be overlooked.

Photo shows: Cecil de la Porte, South Africa, rode for Wembley 1936, rode for Birmingham and Wembley, 1936 and 1937.

12993461_265502767122586_317669161433367
Edited by Guest

I am puzzled as to why a query about post-war riders is accompanied by a photo of a pre-war rider????

​Other South African riders from the pre-war era who perhaps should have been given some recognition are 'Baby' Scott, Fred Neill, 'Ginger' Bower and 'Gummy' Barnes.

This is a query I have in regard to the List. I am puzzled as to why pre-war South African speedway appears to be overlooked.

Photo shows: Cecil de la Porte, South Africa, rode for Wembley 1936, rode for Birmingham and Wembley, 1936 and 1937.

Records show that in league racing in Britain Keith Harvey averaged under 4.5 points per match and de la Porte under 5.5. Although these are comparable to Dennis Newton's league record Dennis gained more titles in South Africa, as referred to by Britmet.

Edited by BL65

Roy Bester was quite decent in the second tier in the UK, 1953 - 54, better than Wills or Serrurier did.

On 6/26/2017 at 12:53 AM, cyclone said:

Roy Bester was quite decent in the second tier in the UK, 1953 - 54, better than Wills or Serrurier did.

Yes indeed Cyclone. On reflection I recall Roy Bester as a good solid scorer. Amazing that he has 'slipped through the net' so far in this topic. Rather akin to how Gordon McGregor was 'forgotten' for a time in the sector on Scottish riders.

Here's a Link to the career of Roy Bester - it supports your view adequately cyclone:

http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/pdfs/bester%20roy.pdf

Edited by Guest

From your (self-appointed) Johannesburg correspondent:

Little doubt about 1 & 2 but I think Buddy Fuller is the other automatic choice if only for his services to South African motor sport in later years. We could argue about the other two and whether Zimbabweans (Rhodesians) should be included.

Some names that haven’t yet been mentioned are Peter and Deon Prinsloo, Trevor Blokdyk, Howdy Cornell and Neil Mortimer.

I'm surprised Mike Ferreira has not been mentioned in this thread :/

I'm surprised Mike Ferreira has not been mentioned in this thread :/

Well, it's about South Africans, rather than Zimbabweans...

Steve