Mike Ferreria

Bert Clark

James Haydow

Deon Prinsloo

David Steen

Stan Paulsen

Paul Smuts-Steyn

I leave you to put them in order.

Wasn't Bert Clark originally from the UK? And one of the few riders who wore spectacles when racing ? The only others who I can recall who did this were Ted Gibson and Fred Yates.

Wasn't Bert Clark originally from the UK? And one of the few riders who wore spectacles when racing ? The only others who I can recall who did this were Ted Gibson and Fred Yates.

Alf Hagon wore glasses. I'm not sure if he wore them when he was riding.

Denzil Kent

Mike Ferreria

Bert Clark

James Haydow

Deon Prinsloo

David Steen

Stan Paulsen

Paul Smuts-Steyn

I leave you to put them in order.

Okay, I'll have a go at ranking them :-

Peter Prinsloo

Mike Ferreria

Denzil Kent

Deon Prinsloo

James Hadhow

Jimmy Squibb and Bert Harkins i believe rode wearing spectacles at times but not certain about this.

Jimmy Squibb and Bert Harkins i believe rode wearing spectacles at times but not certain about this.

What about Dave Baugh?Every photo i have seen of him he is wearing specs

Don't think Jim Squibb ever rode wearing glasses

What about Dave Baugh?Every photo i have seen of him he is wearing specs

So did Neville Tatum but only they (or pit crew) knew i guess ! Plus of course PK was always wearing glasses , perhaps a Wolves fan could let us know if he wore them while racing ?

Don't think Jim Squibb ever rode wearing glasses

I'll ask Tony Lethbridge , if anyone knows , he might !

Edited by phlipphlop

Denzil Kent

Mike Ferreria

Peter Prinsloo - my mistake

David Steen

Stan Paulsen - for me he is in top5. For example in 1953 he was silver medalist in Open Rhodesian Championship. He won with inter alia two brtish riders Bert Clark and Alan Chambers. He did not have experience from Europe but he could win with more experienced riders.

Edited by Puma23

2 hours ago, Puma23 said:

Denzil Kent

Mike Ferreria

Deon Prinsloo

David Steen

Stan Paulsen

No Peter Prinsloo? Come on, man, You must be joking !

But with Peter Prinsloo replacing the unknown Stan Paulsen, this Zimbabwe/Rhodesia Top Five looks quite good !

• Like 1

I don't know much about Stan Paulsen, but wasn't he from Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) ?

By the way, in the mid 1970s (1975/6) a rider by the name of Dennis Paulsen took up speedway and rode in the meetings held at Salsbury's Glamis Stadium. I wonder if Dennis was perhaps Stan's son?

Of the Southern Rhodesian (now Zimbabwe) riders of the 1950's I guess that Bev Bird was the most successful. Bird rode in a Test Match for South Africa against England at Bulawayo in January of 1957, and indeed he top scored for the Springboks with nine points.

Of the 1970s Rhodesian speedway riders I always fancied Zak Koekemoer, who was one of the leading riders in those days. Also, the two brothers Squack and Pip Harris come to mind, and that Salisbury tobacco farmer Ian McMillan. Then Chris Prinsloo was another good speedway rider, and so was Ray Barcley.

In the last season of speedway racing in Rhodesia, Mike Ferreira and his brother rode together at Salisbury. Does anyone remember Mike's brother, the name escapes me at the moment ?