britmet

Top Five Channel Islanders

Top 5 Channel Islanders -

1 - Hugh Saunders
2 - Marcus Bisson
3 - Stefan Dunne
4 - Dave Patten
5 - Terry le Maine

I like the idea in regard to the Channel Islands. Now whose going to start one for the Isle of Wight and even the Isle of Dogs. In fact, I'll settle for the latter with two names -

ISLE OF DOGS TOP RIDERS

Jack Cooley

Len Cooley

::: If I get more names to this List I will reclassify such as a separate thread.

Edited by Guest

If there had been a Channel Islands team Ivan Mauger would have qualified as he had grandparents from Guernsey, where I saw some good racing on the beach at Vazon Bay over the years.

If there had been a Channel Islands team Ivan Mauger would have qualified as he had grandparents from Guernsey, where I saw some good racing on the beach at Vazon Bay over the years.

You should be there today ! - British Championship !

You should be there today ! - British Championship !

I was listening to news about it on Radio Guernsey earlier.

1 - Hugh Saunders

2 - Marcus Bisson

3 - Stefan Dunne

4 - Dave Patten

5 - Terry le Maine

I'm afraid the only one I have heard of is Hughie Saunders who rode for Hackney 'Hawks' - - I think.

I'm afraid the only one I have heard of is Hughie Saunders who rode for Hackney 'Hawks' - - I think.

And Rye House, where he broke his leg during his own testimonial meeting..Poor old Hughie :(

TWK - Marcus Bisson rode a few matches for Weymouth in 1984 but a lot more for the Poole Wildcats when the team transferred there. He was a regular in that team for a couple of years. Very entertaining style including a lot of leg trailing.

Stefan Dunne was a regular at Weymouth Training Schools in the early and mid 1960's but never made it to league level

I know the name Dave Patten but cannot place him. Probably another at Lee Coffin's schools.

Terry le Maine - sorry but don't recall that name.

:)

• Like 1

Where would Johnny Fitzpatrick rate in the Channel Island Top Five? Here's a previous Post regarding his obituary written by Tony Webb in 2015:

::::::::::

JOHN MAURICE FITZPATRICK 1926- 2015
Another childhood hero has passed on, my memories of Johnny Fitzpatrick are of a rider taller than the average speedway rider and a great team man he rode for Rayleigh Rockets, my local track, and then Ipswich Witches and on to Yarmouth Bloaters. Big John always regarded as a Londoner he was actually born in St Peterport , Guernsey in the Channel islands on March 19 1926, his family moved to London in 1929. John served as a Paratrooper in World war two in Palestine and other countries.
In his early years Johnny was a very good road racing cyclists with his friend Ken Adams. They both took up speedway at Stoke training school in late 1948. They practised at Rye House and High Beech in that winter. Both signed for Stoke Potters in 1948, a glory year for the Potters as they won the Third division Championship where Johnny would remain for five seasons.
He transfered to Southampton Saints in 1954 after the Potters closed, Johnny had two years with the Saints then moved to West ham in the top league for 1955. Rayleigh was the next team, before moving further north to Ipswich then onto Yarmouth. It was at the tiny seaside track Johnny had his best two seasons. With a career best in 1960 with an average of 8.60. New Cross was home for a year in 1961, then joining up with former Stoke rider Reg Fearman’s promotion at Middleboro. It was with the Bears that Johnny struck up a life time friendship with Queenslander Kev Torpie.
Johnny retired from speedway in 1963, he had worked as a panel beater during his speedway years with colourful London connections among his customers were the infamous Kray twins. In contrast john took a position as security at Londons Hendon Police Academy.
This was followed by a job at British Airways, he made several a total 36 trips to Australia where he attended VSRA Dinners as an honoury member. Joining up with Brisbane based Kev Torpie and his son John they made two round Australia trips by motorcycle catching up with many old friends including Eric Williams, Colin McKee and Charlie Wallis.
Kev Torpie recalled that John would always call in at the local cop shop on their travels to get his police Warrant book signed. In his later years Johnny worked as a motorcycle courier in London on a Honda he obtained from Kev and shipped back to London. Ill health slowed him down and curtailed that one last trip to Australia that he still talked about.
He passed away on September 16 aged 89. Johnny was a true speedway journey man, have bike, will travel. It is interesting that as a big man he was more at home on the small tracks, the only larger circuits he rode for were Ipswich and West Ham.
::::::: Written by Tony Webb 19-9-2015 with the help of the Torpie family.
Edited by Guest

Stefan soon became Steve, he lived at Ogbourne St George twixt Marlborough and Swindon the son of the vicar, he did second half rides at Swindon and other tracks, I didn't realise he came from the Channel Isles.

Stefan soon became Steve, he lived at Ogbourne St George twixt Marlborough and Swindon the son of the vicar, he did second half rides at Swindon and other tracks, I didn't realise he came from the Channel Isles.

To clarify quote - full rider name is Stefan Dunne.

1 - Hugh Saunders

2 - Marcus Bisson

3 - Stefan Dunne

4 - Dave Patten

5 - Terry le Maine

With regard to the information that John Fitzpatrick was a Channel Islander, here is my 'ratings' update:

(1 - joint place) Hugh Saunders and John Fitzpatrick

(3) Marcus Bisson

(4) Stefan Dunne

(5) Dave Patten

TWK - Marcus Bisson rode a few matches for Weymouth in 1984 but a lot more for the Poole Wildcats when the team transferred there. He was a regular in that team for a couple of years. Very entertaining style including a lot of leg trailing.

Stefan Dunne was a regular at Weymouth Training Schools in the early and mid 1960's but never made it to league level

I know the name Dave Patten but cannot place him. Probably another at Lee Coffin's schools.

Terry le Maine - sorry but don't recall that name.

:)

Dave Patten is a great lad and is still riding. He still lives in the Channel Isles and comes over for quite a few amatuer meetings with his bike in the back of a Renault Clio, that is actually in the back of the car and not on an outside rack attached to the back. That is a feat in itself which takes quite some doing. Was with him a few weeks ago doing a Dragons Amtuer meeting at Leicester when he was competing on an upright although he still also has a laydown that he sometimes races on.