British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jackofdiamonds

Newcastle V Workington Championship Ko Cup 2nd Leg Sunday June 25

Heat 15 only added to the drama, drama is what creates atmospheres (good and bad, yes) but that's what we like about sports... Atmosphere, I have never heard so much atmosphere in the stadium as I have tonight, I don't know if that's because everyone was outside, or because the meeting was so good, but tonight was one of the best speedway meeting I have ever been to (only since 2009)

Yeah, the runtime was quite long, but as previously mentioned, it's best to sort the track out so that the riders don't keep falling off and getting injured, I hope all riders (James, Robert and Craig if actually hurt) are all ok and are able to take part in whenever their next meetings are... Good luck :t:

i think the main reason the atmosphere was so loud was because not many diamonds fans thought we would actually come back and win on aggregate, I had an entire group of worky fans in front of me, and the closer we got to winning, the more the diamonds fans drowned them out.

Credit where credit is due regarding lindgren it's about time he banged a big score in even though I've never doubted him at home. And well done to the rest of the lads 👍

So, what do you want them to do? Leave the track alone and just let riders keep on crashing and getting injured?

Get it right in the first place, perhaps ?

Speedway was not the winner for me ... a meeting almost 3 hours in duration??? Tractor racing, re-working the track on bends 3 and 4 for 30 mins, tapes malfunction (how many times? I lost count). Roy fills in very well but dear me it was dragged out tonight ...

I tend to agree. A close finish and some decent racing was destroyed by how long we were standing around waiting for the track to be fixed after Lambert fell, then a ridiculous amount of tractor grading after that (it might be me, but didn't the referee at one stage order them off the track ?) and the tapes malfunctions. 3 hours is just not on.

More a bike issue than a human issue (as far as Cookie is concerned).

A bit of both, I thought. It seemed to me that he simply didn't get enough time after falling in heat 15 and spit his dummy out by making no attempt whatsoever to comply with the two minutes warning.

While I have no time for the latter, I can sympathise with the former. The amount of time allowed on occasions when the Diamonds had two rides on the trot seemed to be a lot longer (partly because the tractors came out on almost every single occasion) and he should have had more time. No doubt the referee thought that 3 hours was enough, but he has to take part of the blame because there was little urgency in the later stages of the meeting.

Whatever the case, all credit to the Diamonds on their win and on pulling back that deficit.

Workington (Cook aside) were poor. Proctor managed to beat Greenwood and Hopwood only, Williamson was a shadow of the rider from the afternoon and both Campton and Jorgensen managed to throw away points.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

Well done to the team for pulling this back.

just highlights how important points from middle order are, and the huge advantage you get if you have the best reserve. Key turning point for me was the injury to sarjeant, that guaranteed us the reserve advantage ( might have had it anyway as you never quite know what you will get with Bilko!)

Still would have come down to the wire had heat 15 not degraded into farcical proportions. To be honest at that point most just wanted to get finished and get home! I think there would be a lot more vocal outrage from Diamonds fans if we had lost that and had to endure all the wasted time - I concur with a number of others 3 hours is absolutely ridiculous, when there isn't an injury and waiting for ambulance!

Whilst it's good to have some success I'm personally not getting carried away, I had Workington down as potentially weakest team in championship before it began, to be fair they surprised me and others with performances, helped by best rider in league and arguably best reserve, but I think last night showed how brittle they can be and loss of best reserve just compounded the non-appearance of a number of team mates! Having said that you have to still put in performance to beat what the opposition provide and we did that. Will we do the same to Glasgow in next round, maybe we should suggest riding our home leg down at Peterborough :wink: ?

Hope Robert is ok - interesting to see who we have in for us next week with both top two missing!

only 16 points to claw back for the demonds .

as long as swaggerman stays at the back doing wheelies . worky will be ok !

Whoops

• Like 1

any worky fan would have put their house on an agg victory . but thats not how it panned out . any speedway fan should know that .

still , onwards and downwards .

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed last night's match, good to see ludde getting back to his usual self,all the lads were totally committed to getting thru even Roberts injury seemed to galvanise them even more to get thru. If I was a comets fan I would be slightly annoyed at Mr cooks antics in heat 15 possibly cost u any chance,he didn't seem badly injured thankfully so no reason why he couldn't get on another bike and ride.

Just as a side comment why can't some Newcastle fans just come on here and enjoy a cracking nights speedway, yes the track work was unfortunate but necessary. And let us enjoy the rest of the night.

Edited by andys
  • Like 1

Cracking victory and cracking performance by the Diamonds. Thoroughly enjoyed the meeting, yes it lasted longer than most would have liked but what you complaining for, £5 per hour, it would cost you move per hour to go to Pirates Cove!!! :P As people have said, if the track is breaking up, then it needs repairing and it can't just be left as it would have been dangerous to ride. As regard the comment of getting it right in the first place, I'm been to Workington a few times when the track has been dog awful and been to high profile meetings when they have been dragged out.

I must admit after seeing the first leg score and scorers I didn't think we had a chance and after losing Robert (to a broken wrist and neck injury http://www.kingslynnstars.co/news.php?extend.30466) and Cookie flying early on, I thought we would struggle to get a home win let alone an aggregate victory. Credit to all of the Diamonds for digging deep and pulling this one out of the bag, Ludvig was back to his best after ditching those GTR's and I thought Hopwood scored well and deserved more. For Workington, Cookie was Cookie, but disappointed at him in Heat 15, if it was his bike, doesn't he have two and they seemed to sort Jorgensen's bike out with a bit of gentle persuasion (a hammer can fix anything) and I thought Campton had one of his better meetings at Newcastle for a long time.

Hopefully we can kick on from this and get a few points on the road as well, Glasgow next in the cup which should be interesting and hopefully Lambert not out for too long.

Also love the quote by Goodisonblue on page 6 of the updates for the match 'diamonds got lucky being able use Worrall replace the useless lambert'. Not bad being named in the TeamGB lineup for the WTC, qualifying for the U21 Final and all this and he is useless. More like your f*****g clueless. :o:o

Edited by diamond@heart
  • Like 2

Wow talk about bad losers, if anyone wants a damn good laugh you should read the total rubbish on comets website about last night's match especially heat 15!!!

I stand to be corrected here but I'm sure I saw matt Williamson warming up cooks second bike pretty much seconds after wot was a horrible looking crash which commonsense dictates would have left bikes in a very second hand condition.

Edited by andys

I started this thread asking for improvement from Ashley, Lewis and Ludvig. I certainly got my wish with Lindgren especially impressive. Changing engines worked a treat.

I thought Workington were poor,especially after their good performance earlier in the day. Enough has been said about Cook, but I can't see how the British Champion had only one bike to ride, could not borrow one (we were told Williamson was warming a bike for him), not a good example from the captain in a last heat decider. Mason Campbell had one excellent ride, but none of the others registered. Two heat winners (Cook), their sum total.

On another note, could someone confirm the result of heat 13. I have Ludvig second and Worrall third, but Barry last night had the reverse, as does the website.

Hope Robert is ok - interesting to see who we have in for us next week with both top two missing!

you obviously missed Roys 'cryptic line' ;)

On another note, could someone confirm the result of heat 13. I have Ludvig second and Worrall third, but Barry last night had the reverse, as does the website.

Referees scorechart shows Worrall 2nd and Lindgren 3rd

you obviously missed Roys 'cryptic line' ;)

Well I'm afraid I certainly did. Any chance you might quote him here?

Riders now appear to be acquiring almost superhuman powers in dealing with broken bones - first Stevie W and now Robert L sr to ignore a broken wrist!

Referees scorechart shows Worrall 2nd and Lindgren 3rd

Diamonds website has the same

A bit of both, I thought. It seemed to me that he simply didn't get enough time after falling in heat 15 and spit his dummy out by making no attempt whatsoever to comply with the two minutes warning.

While I have no time for the latter, I can sympathise with the former. The amount of time allowed on occasions when the Diamonds had two rides on the trot seemed to be a lot longer (partly because the tractors came out on almost every single occasion) and he should have had more time. No doubt the referee thought that 3 hours was enough, but he has to take part of the blame because there was little urgency in the later stages of the meeting.

Whatever the case, all credit to the Diamonds on their win and on pulling back that deficit.

The Great Britain Captain spitting the dummy?

Are you sure?

Craig Cook?

Are you sure?

That sounds most unlike him :S

Okay sarcasm aside this is a personality flaw the guy needs to get rid of and pronto, if he ever wants to be a GP rider.

Which is a day I really hope we DO see.