British Speedway Forum

Ila Teromaa Has Passed Away

Ila Teromaa has passed away aged 63 years.

19424162_492266264446234_667915557012397

Sad news.

R.I.P. + Ila.

Oh my, this is sad news. Fond memories of Ila in his time with Leicester and Cradley in particular. RIP

That is very sad news. Remember first watching him at Cowley when Leicester visited.

RIP

Ila was always a popular visitor to Waterden Road. He was Finland's number 1 for a long time before Niemi came along.

RIP

Remember Ila's younger brother, Pepe, if I recall gave up following a career in speedway after an injury (broken leg?) and went back to studying.

Sure i saw him a couple of times over the past decade as he was an FIM official

RIP IIa

I missed the 1978 World Final at Wembley (I was in Jersey) but Ila beat one of my favourites Gordon Kennett when they met during the meeting and that point dropped by Gordon denied him the chance of a run-off for the title!

Oh no how sad what a damn good rider Ila was one of those I looked out for apart from my own team my deepest condolences to his family and friends always seemed a very nice man

Ila was one of my favourite riders when he first broke into the Leicester team and despite what seemed like a transfer request every close season, he was the mainstay during some particularly lean seasons if I recall. That said, both him and the team as a whole improved a lot in 1978…. we even had three Lions in the World Final that year!

RIP Ila.

• Like 1

Ila was rumoured to be a Cradley target for a few seasons before Dan McCormick finally nabbed him. Ironically when he did finally ride for Cradley he never reached the heights he had for the Lions. One of my favourite riders of the seventies, last I read he was involved with the FIM, so a shock to hear this news.

RIP Ila

It was reported he wanted to join Sheffield at the end of 1978, and he eventually joined Cradley. Like Salty says, he dipped alarmingly after that, IIRC he got injured in the 1979 World Pairs and never seemed to recover from that. Such a shame at a relatively young age.