British Speedway Forum
norbold

Best Speedway Journalists Ever

From reading old Speedway magazines I would say Basil Storey-also of course Eric Linden, plus Philip Rising and Paul Parish

Eric Linden & John Chaplin.

In no particular order:

Eric Linden

Basil Storey

Tom Morgan

Tom and Jim Stenner

Peter Oakes

Philip Rising

Dave Lanning

Eric Linden. No one else comes close.

:)

I think Angus Kix, Danny Carter and James Oldfield come quite close.

• Like 5

Basil Storey was a brilliant writer and IMO far ahead of most of his contemporaries in the 1940s and early 1950s. Besides his role in running the 'Speedway Gazette' (in spare time outside his full working life on the Press Association) Basil was also or many years the speedway correspondent for the 'Daily Express'.

After leaving the 'Speedway Gazette' in the mid 1950s, he then wrote for 'Speedway News', and when that folded was for several years a contributor to 'Speedway Star.'

My other favourite speedway journalists were Eric Linden, Tom and Jim Stenner.

Edited by Guest

Eric Linden for me.

He was always worth reading.

A very fine free-lance speedway journalist of the late 1940s-early 1960s was Howard Jacobi who provided material in regard to the Midland tracks for 'Speedway World,' 'Speedway News' and 'Speedway Star.'

A very fine free-lance speedway journalist of the late 1940s-early 1960s was Howard Jacobi who provided material in regard to the Midland tracks for 'Speedway World,' 'Speedway News' and 'Speedway Star.'

Actually I can remember reading his Meeting Reports in Speedway Star back in the day.

Actually I can remember reading his Meeting Reports in Speedway Star back in the day.

Besides his match reports, Howard Jacobi also contributed a weekly column dedicated to speedway happenings at the many Midlands tracks then operating.

Another distinguished speedway journalist in the late 1940s-1960s period was Cyril J Hart. He had an excellent writing style that demanded compulsive reading. Cyril over the years is best known for his contributions to 'Speedway World', 'Monthly Speedway World', 'Speedway News' and 'Speedway Gazette'. Away from speedway he was for many years an official with the Speedway Riders Association.

Edited by Guest

I think Angus Kix, Danny Carter and James Oldfield come quite close.

Eric and co always managed to predict the world final winner in the 1960s. In 1966 Eric Eric went for Briggs, Eric James selected Mauger and Eric Danny chose Knutson.

• Like 1