British Speedway Forum
fatface

Best Five Never To Have Raced League Speedway In Uk

Here's some to get the ball rolling....

Igor Plechanov

Rune Holta

Pawel Waloszek

Got a strange inkling Gustix might have someone he'd like to nominate... :-)

• Like 3

Here's some to get the ball rolling....

Igor Plechanov

Rune Holta

Pawel Waloszek

Got a strange inkling Gustix might have someone he'd like to nominate... :-)

Waloszek rode for Leicester in 1961 Edited by brough

Jerzy Sczakiel

Waloszek rode for Leicester in 1961

I did not know that. Scratch him off then.

Alan Christian? Dubb Ferrell? Gene Woods? Struggling after that... ;-)

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

Drabik

Prez

Vaculik

Ok so my five is:

Plechanov

Dudek

Sckaziel

G Laguta

Vaculik

I did not know that. Scratch him off then.

Alan Christian? Dubb Ferrell? Gene Woods? Struggling after that... ;-)

Didn't Christian ride for Birmingham?

Can't think of any decent yanks who didn't ride in Britain?

• Like 1

Drabik

Prez

Vaculik

Ok so my five is:

Plechanov

Dudek

Sckaziel

G Laguta

Vaculik

Gene Woods had a short spell at Birmingham and Wimbledon and Christian never ventured over here i think he might of nearly signed for Sheffield once though.?

Drabik

Prez

Vaculik

Ok so my five is:

Plechanov

Dudek

Sckaziel

G Laguta

Vaculik

I know that Gene Woods rode for Birmingham and, I think, Wimbledon for a short while. Sid just beat me to it as I was typing this!

Bast,Christian,Sexton,Detemple,Ferrell,Fishback, a few there.

Oxford tried to tempt Jeff Sexton to ride (whether it was just talk of not) during 1974 (?) but nothing came of it.

Rafal Dobrucki

Did he not ride for Oxford or am I thinking of someone else?

Bast,Christian,Sexton,Detemple,Ferrell,Fishback, a few there.

I seem to recall that Wimbledon were discussing the possibility of Mike Bast riding for them in 1975 but, again, nothing came of it.

Edited by steve roberts

Rafal Dubrucki rode in 2004 for Oxford did Oxford have R/R for Hasse in 1973/74? i can remember Sexton being mentioned and i think around 73 there was a swap between Lomas and Killer.

I know that Gene Woods rode for Birmingham and, I think, Wimbledon for a short while. Sid just beat me to it as I was typing this!

Oxford tried to tempt Jeff Sexton to ride (whether it was just talk of not) during 1974 (?) but nothing came of it.

Did he not ride for Oxford or am I thinking of someone else?

I seem to recall that Wimbledon were discussing the possibility of Mike Bast riding for them in 1975 but, again, nothing came of it.

Mike Bast and Christer Lofqvist were two riders who were have supposed to have signed for Wimbledon.
  • Like 1

Josef Seidl

Josef Hofmeister

​Henk Stemen Senior

Hugo Rosak

Juan Carlos Curzio

Jean Landrau

Josef Kamper

Fritz Drill

::: The list is for British speedway not just the British League.

Edited by Guest

Rafal Dubrucki rode in 2004 for Oxford did Oxford have R/R for Hasse in 1973/74? i can remember Sexton being mentioned and i think around 73 there was a swap between Lomas and Killer.

Mike Bast and Christer Lofqvist were two riders who were have supposed to have signed for Wimbledon.

Thanks for the confirmation Sid regarding Rafal...I had relocated by then and ceased going to Cowley.

Oxford used the R/R/R for Has during 1975...he rode in one official match against Hull plus a couple of challenge matches...one of my favourites!

The Lomas/Kilby was a complexed issue. Garry Middleton no longer wanted to ride for Oxford (more's the pity in my view) and a swap was agreed with Coventry although Tony Lomas wasn't keen on a move to Cowley. When Ivan Mauger turned up at Exeter that unsettled Bob Kilby so a swap was involved between Oxford and Exeter.

That wasn't the end of the affair, however, and it still gripes with me. Oxford paid a transfer fee for Middleton and when Kilby affectively replaced him he was seen as an Oxford asset but when Bob went back to Swindon in 1975 they refused to pay a fee claiming him to be one of theirs...which he technically was...but, as usual, speedway being speedway Oxford got a bum deal!

Thanks for the confirmation Sid regarding Rafal...I had relocated by then and ceased going to Cowley.

Oxford used the R/R/R for Has during 1975...he rode in one official match against Hull plus a couple of challenge matches...one of my favourites!

The Lomas/Kilby was a complexed issue. Garry Middleton no longer wanted to ride for Oxford (more's the pity in my view) and a swap was agreed with Coventry although Tony Lomas wasn't keen on a move to Cowley. When Ivan Mauger turned up at Exeter that unsettled Bob Kilby so a swap was involved between Oxford and Exeter.

That wasn't the end of the affair, however, and it still gripes with me. Oxford paid a transfer fee for Middleton and when Kilby affectively replaced him he was seen as an Oxford asset but when Bob went back to Swindon in 1975 they refused to pay a fee claiming him to be one of theirs...which he technically was...but, as usual, speedway being speedway Oxford got a bum deal!

Wikipedia let me down with Rafal- if you can`t trust them-who can you trust :lol:

• Like 1